This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM

Private

Sabrax is on a distinguished road
Default SE5 bad reviews and problems.

Ok, first off I'm not trying to start a flame war or upset anyone. With that said I'm kinda tired of hearing about all the problems and what's wrong with the game. I can't recall any games recently that have been "totally" bug free. Here's the way I see it. Malfador has honestly given me something that I think is absolutely wonderful... a basic game engine that people can make into virtually anything they want. The strength in this game is that it IS so easily moddable. I can understand why some people are upset but I think that probably about 80% of the people on these forums feel the same way I do. Yes there are problems but given some time people like Kwok, Devnullicus and Atrocities will make some of the most awesome mods that will make this game great. I know I left alot of names off that list but those 3 made the mods and shipsets that made me keep se4 on my hard drive for about 4 years now. Just my two cents.
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM

Captain

Kana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5 bad reviews and problems.

Agreed...and add SJ, Fryon and TG to the list.
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:54 PM

Sergeant

Artaud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sabrax said:
Ok, first off I'm not trying to start a flame war or upset anyone. With that said I'm kinda tired of hearing about all the problems and what's wrong with the game.
I hear you, but I think the game DOES have problems, and those of us who bring them up are doing so because we care and want things to be better.

I sense a growing hostility here toward those of us who are not happy with the way SEV turned out. Some here are sick and tired of listening to us, and the clear message is to sing praise or keep quiet.

Quote:
Sabrax said:
...Malfador has honestly given me something that I think is absolutely wonderful... a basic game engine that people can make into virtually anything they want...
That, my friend, is part of the problem. I personally don't want to pay for a game engine that can be fixed by modders.

I want to pay for a complete game.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I find there's a split. Some players are happy because they get to mess around with SE:V now despite the bugs and those that think the game was release too early and are dissappointed. There's nothing wrong with either position, it's just a matter of preference.

I think the game was released too early considering the fact there are a lot of new players discovering the series and the current bugginess makes a very bad impression. Of course us long-time SE players have some comfort in knowing that the issues will be resolved - but new players don't have that comfort and that's bad for the series.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:07 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I agree that this is indeed a wonderful game and I know that with the on going support that Aaron has always demonstrated in regard to his games, this game will only continue to get better. Despite the bugs, this is indeed one *****'n game to say the least.

The neat thing about having the game out is that the people who play it are now reporting the bugs as they discover them. This can only help make the game better.

Was the game released to early, YES, yes it was. I say at least 8 to 12 more weeks were needed. However by releasing the game early, a ton of new bug reports have been generated by players. So in the end, releasing the game in the state that it was in was a good move for improving the game, but a bad move for those explecting a 100% bug free game on version 1.0. (Unrealistic in my opinion but hey they are out there, and they ***** like mad when things aren't bug free.)
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I sense a growing hostility here toward those of us who are not happy with the way SEV turned out. Some here are sick and tired of listening to us, and the clear message is to sing praise or keep quiet.
If any one is making any one else uncomfortable because they are not happy with the way SE V turned out, then they need to step back a bit and recall how SE IV was when it was released back in 2000. I for one VALUE any post that is constructive in its feed back and points out lagitimate problems with the game. I mean how else are these problems going to be addressed if no one is willing to point them out?
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

lol look at a game like Battlefield 2142, they have a massive dev team and charge the full $50 for the game, had a massive public beta where they got tons of free testing, reusing the same engine that has powered their last 3 games, and they still have a massive ammount of bugs. Now there is a game no one should be buying.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old November 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Artaud said:

Huh? I haven't noticed any such message or hostility.

Sabrax said:
That, my friend, is part of the problem. I personally don't want to pay for a game engine that can be fixed by modders.

I think what he meant was it provides a good engine from which to build all sorts of mods, not that it is incomplete somehow (a bit unbalanced and buggy, yeah, but it has a lot of features in the stock game...).

Combat Wombat
Now there is a game (BF 1942) no one should be buying.

Not to mention the highly featured adware you have to agree to to install it...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:27 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Oh I even forgot about the adware that watches what you do on the internet and gives you _IN GAME_ ads based on it, and they still charge you $50 which is outrageous for all the reasons listed above.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old November 1st, 2006, 02:15 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

This Forum has always been open for everyone's opinions, whether is was for, against, or whatever. To say one is tired of hearing complaints on a particular game is an unfair ascertaion to the meaning of this forum. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. Thats what has made this forum a unique place among forums. We have no flame wars as we respect everyones opinions whether we agree or disagree. What better place to discuss the aspects of various games, the pros and the cons. There have been many discussions on a whole range of games as well as other topics within this forum. Everyone here has a right to put forth their opinion as long as the forum rules are observed. This forum encourages discussion among its members on games and other topics. Not everyone will agree or disagree on any one topic. That is our choice. Therefore, if one dislikes, is dissatified, loves, or becomes addicted to a game he/she has the right to express his/her opion without ridicule. No computer game is perfect, and on the same hand, some games are released to soon and still need work. Where better to discuss the problems, bugs and whatever then here on the forum where everyone is able to put forth their 2 cents. Which in turn can/is relayed to the designers of that particular game. after all, isn't the whole idea to make the game/s better, more playable, and fun for everyone? This can be accomplished by explaining bugs, problems, etc that are found by us the gamers in order to be delivered again to the designers. In addition, sometimes, what some consider to be bugs or flaws, after discussions here on the forum, are found to be just the opposite and have legitimate reasons for doing what they do, or one finds that they were using them wrong or not in the proper way. Without discussion of the pros and cons, some of these complaints would be unnecessarily sent to the designers which would take up constructive time from fixing the actual problems that were found.

This is my opinion and not intended to hurt anyones feelings but to put forth my impressions of what this forum is/has/was and continues to be, a free and constructive forum on all aspects of games and other topics where no one should be afraid to give their opions/feelings/likes/dislikes/ on the topics contained within.

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking