.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 14th, 2022, 06:13 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RetLT Scenario issues

I wouldn't change those too much, they are very well researched and I think many obstacles are actually in historically accurate positions.
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I have not opened it yet to investigate but if the mine icons are there they were placed but IDK what may have changed in code to "deactivate" them as this is a unique issue confined to this series of scenarios AFAIK so I will " re-activate" them for sure IF RetLT thinks that the scenario would be more balanced with them there rather than not.... a bit of wire here and there was just a thought

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 15th, 2022, 07:58 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
I wouldn't change those too much, they are very well researched and I think many obstacles are actually in historically accurate positions.
Personally no matter how well researched I don’t think the placement of the exact mine and wire locations in a 40 meter hex can be 100% precise, not even for any DDay or Kursk position will be known. Even our game maps even with the Valhalla tool are not 100% accurate. We can make some very good and close assumption , but stating with 100% certainty that the “historical “ map or sources aligns with our SP map and game is untrue.
Old August 15th, 2022, 08:21 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I have not opened it yet to investigate but if the mine icons are there they were placed but IDK what may have changed in code to "deactivate" them as this is a unique issue confined to this series of scenarios AFAIK so I will " re-activate" them for sure IF RetLT thinks that the scenario would be more balanced with them there rather than not.... a bit of wire here and there was just a thought
Regarding that bug, I have a theory: He made 5 scenarios that are fairly complex on essentially the same map. My guess is that he had some kind of "master map" with all units placed and then modified it to make the scenarios. I have done similar stuff before and it is prone to errors, like flags of unit being displayed that aren't actually there. Wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post:
Old August 15th, 2022, 04:21 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Could these scenarios have been meant to be a campaign at one point?
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:10 PM

First Lieutenant

No, they are way too complex for that. A limitation of WinSPWW2 campaigns is that you can not split up the core force (as you can in Combat Mission, for instance) and without that functionality they would not work as intended.
Old August 15th, 2022, 09:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

https://www.history.com/topics/world...0light%20tanks.

Quote:

Measuring around two miles long and a half-mile wide, the island of Betio was crisscrossed with defenses: 100 pillboxes (dug-in concrete bunkers), seawalls, an extensive trench system for defensive movements and an airstrip were supported by coastal guns, antiaircraft guns, heavy and light machine guns and light tanks. Betio’s beaches were naturally ringed with shallow reefs, which were covered with barbed wire and mines.

So barbed wire and mines it will be in the areas with the borked mines

https://www.lonesentry.com/articles/...and/index.html

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; August 15th, 2022 at 09:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 15th, 2022, 10:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Yeah those scenarios are not massively hard, so probably it wouldn't "break" them.

They should NOT be "not massively hard" ( not even a little bit )

https://www.businessinsider.com/batt...istory-2017-11

Quote:
"The island was the most heavily defended atoll that ever would be invaded by Allied forces in the Pacific," wrote Joseph Alexander, a historian who was a Marine amphibious officer.

Betio's defenders deployed steel tetrahedrons, minefields, and dense thickets of barbed wire. Walls of logs and coral surrounded much of the island. Machine guns, rifle pits, and anti-tank ditches were often integrated into the barricades, and many emplacements, like pillboxes, were built to have converging fields of fire.

Anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines were scattered around the island, its lagoon, and its reef.

Old August 16th, 2022, 02:02 AM

First Lieutenant

Well, just because a battle was a horrible slog for the forces on the ground, doesn't mean that the scenarios should be hard to win for the player. After all, while I don't doubt that there were high casualty rates and it was generally terrible on those islands, the Japanese never had a chance in hell to actually hold them and "win" the battle. I'd say that is pretty well represented in those scenarios, you won't have much of a problem of winning them, but you WILL take casualties.
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Also, to clarify my initial comment: What i meant was that there are scenarios in the game that are hard in the sense that "they come down to the wire" and where a small change might conceivably make them unwinnable or break them. That is not the case in this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post: