.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT- Rise and Fall Demo is out!!!

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War demo is out!!! Totally didn't expect it to be out this early.

Since I'm lazy, he's the ebgames link to it...has screenshots. Been following this one for a while. Looks really good. I'm downloading the demo now but will post feedback once I've had a chance to play.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646221

PS. Has anyone picked up either Space Rangers 2 or Hearts of Iron Doomsday? I picked up HoI: Doomsday last night, was about to install it. I still don't know whats different, and why I spent $20 for it. Anyone know the first half?
Doomsday is ok, however I dont think that it adds too much to the original game, in fact I prefer the original.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

Yep...I was very dissapointed with the game. The controls were blah, the interface was blah, the combat system was blah. Cross-Genre games so easily fall into the suck pool its not funny. I had high hopes for this one. Oh well.

PS. DominionsFAN, if you spend more time around PCs then you will quickly find out that what effects and works for you will mean diddly squat for the guy next door.

PDF - They didn't have a publisher in the US for SR1, but they do now. Most major retailers are stocking it...you can get it at EBX for instance, and their online store. At the end of April you can download a Starforce free copy through a online retailer that does digital distribution. I can't think of the name atm. Go to www.spacerangers2.com and check the forums.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:09 AM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

games pretty basic, combat is clunky at best and heroes are overpowered (and practically invunerable).
step 1: get horde of archers on a boat
step 2: lure enemy to shore near off-shore boat
step 3 run through the enemy multiple times (which causes practically no damage to you) swinging your weapon or shooting. also note this is just as effective without the archers because troops are ridiculously underpowered. its like one player starting with and air queen and one starting with a bunch of militia, 2 sword hits (1 for unarmoured foes) or 1 arrow (5 of which can be launched at once) kills an enemy but your regular troops do practically no damage.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
Yep...I was very dissapointed with the game. The controls were blah, the interface was blah, the combat system was blah. Cross-Genre games so easily fall into the suck pool its not funny. I had high hopes for this one. Oh well.

PDF - They didn't have a publisher in the US for SR1, but they do now. Most major retailers are stocking it...you can get it at EBX for instance, and their online store. At the end of April you can download a Starforce free copy through a online retailer that does digital distribution. I can't think of the name atm. Go to www.spacerangers2.com and check the forums.
Huh, I'm not in the US (I'm French), that was my issue ! But I've found the original UK publisher of the game, will get it there, it looks fun, something reminiscent of Elite, Freelancer, and StarControl
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

Ah ok. Ya it does...I was really looking forward to it...till I heard it had SF.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
Ah ok. Ya it does...I was really looking forward to it...till I heard it had SF.
Bah, I've ordered it, and man it's the best/most entertaining game I've played in years !
Not so involved as Dom2, but damn full of original, good gameplay
I heartily recommend it, especially to US players who have the chance to avoid Starfarce crap.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM

Colonel

um, wouldnt call it that original. i also find it VERY easy (apart from breaking gates i dont use troops) to slaughter enemy armies with your hero alone.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

This game is very weak for an RTS. Not just because of this weird arcade - rts combination but the game will be way to simple, the gfx is average and I could continue.
I think that this game's quality cant even be compared to a decent RTS like Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.

http://www.markofchaos.com

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Colonel

even compared to the total war series i find this game lacking. (although alot of rts games are lacking compared to total war games)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

BTW Space Rangers 2 demo is out