Annette is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official Complaints/Concerns/Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
I'd suggest increasing the file size limits a little. How does this sound:

jpg, gif: 250 KB
other image formats: 500 KB
doc, txt, xls, pdf: 500 KB

Maybe even up to 2 MB for PDFs. If somebody writes a manual, people should be able to download it without the need to unpack it first. I don't suppose people are going to be attaching a lot of big PDFs without any reason.
I think you and Tim are discussing this elsewhere, so this is under consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Is it possible to only enable the signatures for a specific forum, with subforums? For example, my sig is only relevant to Dom3 players, and I only want it to show in the Dom3 forums. Do I need to manually check/uncheck it in the advanced editor all the time, or can I configure this somehow?
No, I'm sorry, I don't think there's a way to do this. You only have the choice to automatically display your signature or show no signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Yes, it's a measure of protection against spammers, and as far as I know we don't have plans to alter the time limit.
Lowering it to 30 seconds would make things a lot easier for actual humans, while providing relatively the same amount of protection against bots. It's really annoying to have to sit around and wait between messages when I have 4-5 to send.

If I were you, I would implement a captcha that would expire every hour. I like recaptcha myself.

http://recaptcha.net/

I'm not sure why you are worried about spammers, though. I've never been hit by one before, and shouldn't you have a captcha on the account creation screen to keep bots out anyways? Not that they'd be smart enough to navigate the interface.

This place seems like such a poor target for a spammer.

Jazzepi
And yet, we are spammed quite frequently. I've put this up for consideration again, and will let you know what the decision-makers come back with.
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:13 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Ich, you're telling that to the very person who spent 20 posts or so just posting bitmaps of units. The smaller my posts can be, the more posts I'm forced to write, and the more for you to monitor

I just wish that when I went forward to another page-there's a button on my keyboard that automatically takes me to my homepage, for some damn fool reason-that when I went back, everything wouldn't disappear.

This doesn't always happen on every single forum, so I was just wondering if there's a way to make it not happen here?

If not, that's fine, it's my own fault when I do it, I'm not blaming anyone else, just hoping for a safety net.
Old October 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

HB,

What selection have you made for as your Message Editor Interface? I'm set to Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing, and I can begin typing a reply, go to other pages within this site or go to another site altogether, and get back to my reply using my back button.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

From a usability perspective, some parts of the forum theme are terrible. The shades of blue used in some areas have very poor contrast between the text and background colors, leading to difficult reading. Combine this with a lot of text being tiny (9px!), and it makes for a very hard to use UI. Some particularly nasty text includes the poster info (join date, thanks, etc.) on the top right of posts and the private message information in the big bar at the top of the page. 11px is pushing it as a minimum font size, but even that still needs to have high contrast between the font and background colors.

The white text on bright blue background in the nav menu on the left is also difficult to read, due to poor contrast.

Last edited by Fyron; November 15th, 2008 at 01:07 AM..
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

And don't forget the dirty dishwater blue being aesthetically unappealing
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

Two problems I've encountered with the new forum:
  • URL change from shrapnelcommunity.com to shrapnelgames.com - I keep very strict security settings which includes not allowing cookies by default. The domain name change necessitated updating these, but it is an easy thing to overlook and took some time to track down.
  • The Rules Acceptance page requires Javascript enabled but does not inform users of this. There should at least be a mention of this requirement since having Javascript enabled globally is risky behaviour nowadays, given the number of compromised websites around.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
Two problems I've encountered with the new forum:
  • The Rules Acceptance page requires Javascript enabled but does not inform users of this. There should at least be a mention of this requirement since having Javascript enabled globally is risky behaviour nowadays, given the number of compromised websites around.
While there is danger in malicious javascripting, it's important to keep in mind too that much of the modern web relies upon javascripting for usability and functionality. Care must be taken to secure the site and it's code against casual and moderate attacks, yes, but to sacrifice service and quality for the name of security is madness. Most people operate at browser defaults which have moderate javascript settings enabled.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyron View Post
From a usability perspective, some parts of the forum theme are terrible. The shades of blue used in some areas have very poor contrast between the text and background colors, leading to difficult reading. Combine this with a lot of text being tiny (9px!), and it makes for a very hard to use UI. Some particularly nasty text includes the poster info (join date, thanks, etc.) on the top right of posts and the private message information in the big bar at the top of the page. 11px is pushing it as a minimum font size, but even that still needs to have high contrast between the font and background colors.

The white text on bright blue background in the nav menu on the left is also difficult to read, due to poor contrast.
Sorry but I have to disagre some navigation could be easier but everything is very clear & easy to read. I use 1280 x1240 with a basic graphic card. If you are using a higher res remember some people cant afford & lots use lower still.
On contrast either adjust your settings or bin the monitor its fine. The light blue text background is there as does not strain the eye, white tends to.
If they change the blue someone will gripe over the new colour, there have to be more important things in life.

I just tested against a bit of Laser printed A4 & can read the screen from further away than the paper so its very clear, font size was the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

You are incorrect, Imp. 9px font size is a cardinal sin in web design (or any UI design, for that matter). Using colors with poor contrast is another cardinal sin. Combining the two... ugh. This has nothing to do with monitors or video cards, and everything to do with user interfaces being designed in a way that is usable by the population at large.