.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem with sprite editing

Thats assuming he would even bother posting.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

He's responded to plenty of your modding questions, lazy as you are about finding answers to them yourself, even when they're trivially easy to look up in the modding manual. So that seems uncalled for.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:13 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

U know whats uncalled for ? Its you pretending to care about my question and you posting stuff like "oh if only sobmre would be here". He aint here and i couldnt care less about your opinion.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:56 PM

General

Good, because with sombre and burnsaber both gone now, that leaves me and kennydicke as the most knowledgeable modders that actually hang out here anymore, sad as that is. Now that I know you no longer care for my advice, I can only imagine that you'll actually read your damn modding manual now and answer your own questions. You'll have to, or you won't be able to mod anymore!
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP

Last edited by rdonj; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:05 PM..
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM

Corporal

kennydicke is on a distinguished road

Contention is the bane of the worthy, friends.

What's done is done. A great king has fallen, alas and alack. We all must move on, without his gentle light guiding us in this plane. Fortunately, we can seek his favor in another plane, and remain in this one.

Ragnarok-X
Globu's advice is excellent in his responses to you. He won't steer you wrong.

EDIT:
Rdonj
Thanks for the compliment but I'm sure it's unwarranted. My knowledge is restricted to the technical. I claim no talent - others have that.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Rarely a beautiful reworked mod image can look bad in-game after the game does its own tweaking of it. The improvement can work against itself. Have you looked at and compared your sprites to ones in the game in low-graphic mode? (such as 1-9 in battle replay)

The game treats all graphics the same. So rather than compare your graphic to the hi-res in-game view, try comparing it to the low-res display which tends to be closer to the actual graphic. The game does some nice things to pretty-up the images. The hard thing to follow Kristoffers path on is knowing what type of improvements you can make on a graphic which will not work against the in-game improvements of the graphic so that it works equally well in all displays.

Im not sure what to recommend after that but maybe someone who knows paint programs better can come up with something. My guess is that it might be getting smooth/blurred twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydicke View Post
Contention is the bane of the worthy, friends.

What's done is done. A great king has fallen, alas and alack. We all must move on, without his gentle light guiding us in this plane. Fortunately, we can seek his favor in another plane, and remain in this one.

Ragnarok-X

EDIT:
Rdonj
Thanks for the compliment but I'm sure it's unwarranted. My knowledge is restricted to the technical. I claim no talent - others have that.
Sorry, I got a bit upset and got carried away. I'll try to play nice
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydicke View Post
Eh, a bit more ambitious of praise than I feel I can live up to, but thanks, Kenny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Rarely a beautiful reworked mod image can look bad in-game after the game does its own tweaking of it. The improvement can work against itself.
Totally. I keep wanting to say it's the in-game anti-aliasing that does it, though I'm only tangentially aware of 3D rendering terminology and I'm sure I'm not precisely correct on it. Either way, yeah, it's something to get a feel for. I found that a lot of the sprites where I softened harsh details and made them look much better up close actually looked worse than before in-game.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

As I understand it, 1 should be original and 9 should be "made pretty by the game".
So I guess that a reasonable test would be, does the graphic look better at graphic level 1 than it does at graphic level 9?
If so then its time to unpretty it and look at how Kristoffer makes use of ugly pixel images to let the game prettify it?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about the in-combat display settings accessible by the number keys, or some other setting?