This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Bagels...

Why does anyone like bagels? They're tough, chewy and kinda tasteless.

And I say that 'kinda tasteless' part as someone who likes porridge with only suger added.

It's like someone took plain donuts and stuffed rocks in them.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Bagels...

Dunno ... I kinda like starchy treats in preference to sugary. Bagels, good crusty bread, flaky croisants if there's butter on them -- maybe that's what's missing for you?
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

To add flavour to something I sprinkle flaked chilli pepper.

Nothing else is suitable. I only put salt on my fish and chips on Fridays because there's way too much salt in food as it is and besides I have a medical condition related to salt that destroyed the hearing in one ear.

Likewise I can't eat vinegar because of an allergic reaction that makes the area of contact peel.

I'll tell you what is tasteless. Lettuce. I am not a rabbit and I despise salad with oil on it. Really the other night I only had a steak because I refused to eat the salad. There's vegetables I can eat even though I prefer not to, but I absolutely refuse to eat salad. It makes me physically sick trying to eat it, like apricots or yoghurt.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

I like breads myself and I did put butter and jam on it. Maybe it's just this batch that was horrible (We got it for the best legal price), but my parents didn't seem to notice a problem, so it could just be me.

Hot foods are almost out of the question for me. Something that other people call 'mild', I find hot. Actual hot foods? The only reason I can come up with for people to eat that painfull stuff is that hot foods dulls the taste buds - And I'm pretty sure my taste buds are more sensitive than average.

Oh, that's bad. Salt and vinegar are great on fries and fried meat sandwiches, respectively.

And, uh, the side effects are kinda bad, too.

Yeah, I can barely force myself to eat lettuce and that only because it's good for me.

I used to dislike yoghurt (I have largely retained my youthfull somewhat spotty dislike of 'mush'), but recently I've found I like the fruit ones. It helps that I don't mind bland, so long as there is a minimum of taste and some texture.

The odd thing is, I do taste lettuce; it just tastes bad. Although I could be tasting the water on my taste buds.

I love grease. Chicken strips, fries, fried fish, three-patty hamburgers, bacon, sausage...Although I do admit my form kinda shows that.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM

Corporal

Siirenias is on a distinguished road

Preposterous. Bagels? Tasteless?
The only reason I don't have bagels daily is due to a certain counter productiveness in losing weight.
However, it should be noted that they taste better with a sort of topping -- Such as cream cheese and lox.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

I like either plain bagels with cream cheese on them or cinnamon raisin with peanut butter on it. Toasted of course.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I think bagels taste so bad in part due to their density. Any bread that you could drop on the floor and have it punch through to the basement shouldn't be eaten
Quote:
narf poit chez BOOM said:
Hot foods are almost out of the question for me. Something that other people call 'mild', I find hot. Actual hot foods? The only reason I can come up with for people to eat that painfull stuff is that hot foods dulls the taste buds - And I'm pretty sure my taste buds are more sensitive than average.
Spicy foods are so good, the spicier the better. Ever try a habenero pepper? Those burn *all* the way through, you can pin-point exactly where they are in your digestive tract at all times Plus, they're supposedly good at cleaning out any internal parasite you may happen to have (though that might be a myth), so you can't lose!

On the other hand, I know a guy who, when he even smells something spicy breaks out in an uncontrollable sweat. If he tries to eat it he literally can't, it's too painful for him. I think it's mostly just a matter of personal tolerance.

Quote:
Why? Opium.

(In the poppy seeds.)
I think the poppy seeds they use nowadays can't contain opium...also, opium is made (I think) from the pre-flowering buds of the plant, before the seeds are even mature.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

I share Narf's dislike for hot food. Food should not cause pain, simple as that. Although I do rather like a couple jalapenos in my subs, but that's just because I like their actual taste, not the spiciness. Very mild jalapenos are quite yum.

Although I can't say I dislike lettuce, seeing as all I've eaten for the past couple months is salads, aside from the occasional pizza on the weekend, or a burger when I go drinking on a Friday after class.

But there's only some varieties of lettuce that I like. The green ones tend to be very nice. Iceberg has virtually no flavour, but it's nice & crispy. The purple stuff tends to be nasty & bitter, so I avoid that.

My patented Ultimate Salad of Yumminess involves iceberg lettuce, black olives, feta cheese, cucumber, and strawberries with a random dressing to keep things interesting. Not only is it yummy, but I've lost 20 pounds in the last 12 weeks, and I've staved off my formerly-inevitable Sept/Oct cold/flu. It's win-win, baby!
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...an onion bagel, with scallion cream cheese, and lox, only nova lox will do. Now thats breakfast. No one wants to kiss me afterward 'tho -- but that's OK, ... you guys can fill in your own punchline
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:54 PM

Corporal

BlueTemplar is on a distinguished road

Why? Opium.

(In the poppy seeds.)