BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM

Private

SP4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default About the Finnish BT-42 SP-Gun

Does anyone have more detailed information about the BT-42's usage. From what I've read it was used only for direct-fire and classed as an SP-Gun not SP-Artillery. Just by looking at the vehicle one could imagine it was cabable of indirect fire aswell, but did the gun have enough elevation and were the sights suitable for indirect fire?

Currently ingame the tank is classed as SP artillery and can perform indirect fire.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Well, that vehicle has been in the Finn OOB for at least ten years and almost every Finn who's played the game has made suggestions about that OOB and I don't recall anyone ever questioning it's ability to fire indirect.

That said, although it most likely was almost always used in an direct fire role it is also the only unit in the game that is classed as SP arty for the Finns that could even remotely be used in that manner so making it an SP gun removes the only SP arty for the Finns, causes picklists to be revised and either adds the vehicle to the M40 formations where is really shouldn't be or as a " SP-gun" with the captured ISU-152s which only leaves class 130 SP Infantry Gun as a possibility but that, as I said, would mean the only possible SP arty vehicle the Finns have would be removed as such.

Don
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Private

SP4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About the Finnish BT-42 SP-Gun

Well it figures I found out the information from the net myself after some digging.

BT-42 was capable of indirect fire and it was designed as an SP Artillery piece primarily. Due to poor leadership decisions it was pressed to direct fire role with disasterous consequences.

Sorry for raising false alarms. The unit seems to be modeled correctly.

...Though it did have HEAT ammo... Althought the HEAT ammo was quite useles. It could not penetrate T-34 armor. Due to the slow muzzle velocity the projectiles had a tendency to bounce off harmelesly. Probably bad fuzes too... The ammo was based on German 105mm shells modified to fire from the 114mm gun.

Not suggesting you should add Heat ammo for the unit ingame though
I do know that it was supposed to penetrate 100mm of armor at 60 degrees. In practice the HEAT projectiles malfunctioned and were quite useles.

Last edited by SP4EVER; March 24th, 2011 at 02:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SP4EVER For This Useful Post: