Notices

Closed Thread

Old May 8th, 2022, 07:49 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

And just who are you aiming that comment at exactly ??

If it was me WELL DUH..... this was a lieutenant colonel out on a scouting mission with a rifle........ "The Russians don't follow the same setup the Western militaries" yeah NO KIDDING EH??
How about all of us? It does seem that we, all are getting a bit to how can one say picking side and not being partial to events without it sounding like anything but that?

If it's clear that they don't work as Western militaries, then it should not be a shock that senior officers went out to see for themselves how craptastic things are, if they are indeed that. As I have said to numerous people, we are getting a one-sided version of events, via media. I do not believe a single thing that comes out of the entire region, mainly because it's all propaganda.

I am not surprised a senior officer went to see things firsthand, hell I have seen senior officers who do stupid things and think they are still junior officers. Never ends well, when they try. This Russian is no exception.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karagin For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 12:47 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

This is a pretty reliable source and not one sided or media biased.

https://www.understandingwar.org/
Old May 9th, 2022, 05:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

I think the point here is to understand what the media is trying to get out there isn't made for our consumption, I'd say a very healthy portion of us out here cover everything from active duty, retired, veteran (Conscripted, volunteer, reserves etc.) and I would imagine disabled veterans.

I will at this time acknowledge all the non-military people that support this forum and the game THANK YOU!

Back to Para 1; we have been there and done that. We've all experienced the "pitfalls" and successes of the various Chains of Commands we've had to work with in our military careers. Our overall experiences for the good or bad give us a much better view of military issues than "John Q. Public".

We must not lose sight of this perspective as the Media is writing this again for "John Q. Public" where a "scuttlebutt" might be where you put out your cigarette/cigar instead of the water fountain where you gather to gossip. Or a "rack" is a shelve you put your towels on instead of being your bed.

And let's everyone be honest here, I'm sure at least once or twice we've used a military term to describe something that has a total different meaning (Or you get that Huh?) to a civilian.

To us it's stupid to have Generals that close to the front, I'm however sure the Ukrainians have been very thankful that all those who've trained them since 2014 and somewhat earlier got them away from Russian Military Doctrine or else this could've been the case for them as well.

Russia has no real professional cadre in numbers, it is an army of under trained and inexperienced conscripts, they because of the last don't have a professional NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) branch to train and motivate the troops there is more however, but I'll end with the Officer Corps inability to delegate and communicate at the various levels/up and down the Chain of Command.

That's all OLD NEWS going back to WWII/Cold War/Afghanistan/First Chechen War (Less so in the Second Chechen War) and now the Ukraine.

However, a fair amount of John Q. Public doesn't read history and really isn't too concerned about what's going on in the world around them. I will also include in this para, the hundreds of active-duty service members and retired I see come through the gates every week from all service branches where the focus is what are doing this weekend.

We are outnumbered and surrounded by John Q. Public and it would do us well to remember that and just maybe most of the mainstream media might just be doing something to educate at a basic level John Q. Public providing they can break themselves and their thumbs away from playing a game, watching a movie, discussing last nights dinner etc. etc.; well on second thought, I appreciate the Mainstream medias efforts but for the most part I don't think John Q. Public really cares.

As a footnote when I was in the military (1982 -2002) those serving made up around 0.85-0.90% of the total population in the U.S. and that held true for about 10 yrs. after I retired.

Speaking to some Officers and Recruiters that number has dropped to about 0.7% partly due to the population decrease and other factors.

Anyway and not to take away from anything said elsewhere, those are my thoughts. And I'm not saying John Q. Public IS STUPID, just their interests are different and as much as Shrapnel Games, Andy and Don might wish otherwise, they're probably not interested in our games, forums or threads.

Governments, CIA, FSB, Mi6 and almost every major military I'm sure are following everything we're doing out here!?!

Anyway, some hackers or others rained on Putin parade and my translator is saying the same ...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...1821287414503b
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 10th, 2022 at 12:32 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webego View Post
Quote:

Interesting only if you want to believe it. It's the narrative the Russians have been using to justify their invasion from the start. That does not make it true but the entire situation from the start has been "complicated"
You can, of course, philosophize )) Everyone decides for himself what to believe. That doesn't make this video a lie. And the truth is always the same.
No. The truth changes. The facts are objective. You take the facts and build a truth.

Like how from the two countries, one invaded the other while it was under no threat from it, yet it blames the defending country for it.
Then again Putin himself said just before the invasion that Ukraine does not exist, is not real and should "join" Russia. You know, like how Nazi Germany did just before the onset of the WWII.

This time, once again, Russia is the bad guy. Russia is the invading force. Russia is the evil that must be stopped. Everything else is just Putin's truth. The invasion is the fact.
Old May 10th, 2022, 05:30 AM

Private

webego is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry forgot to write about Bucha and other. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1yoMRLbuuE

This is the mayor of Bucha rejoicing at the withdrawal of Russian troops. He doesn't talk about tragedy. Ukrainian and foreign media will start talking about the tragedy in Bucha 4-5 days after the withdrawal of Russian troops. I will not talk about fakes. Just think for yourself - you leave a small town and shoot a lot of civilians so that you can later be accused of mass crimes?... Just don't talk about the bloodthirstiness of the Russians!
This is a minute snapshot of events he is happy to be rid of the invaders. End of story -----the rest of the events were reported after the liberation .. after that was recorded

Quote:
Here is another interesting video about the old lady:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfeflkpcOi4
It's BS like this that will be your end. You are referencing the post Blazoes made in the one above yours but that is NOT the same "old woman" at all.

And no, I don't much care for your distorted opinions
According to the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, the Russian troops left Bucha on March 30. The mayor of the city recorded his video message on March 31.

I think that this and other war crimes should be investigated.

----
Next:

This is a video fact filmed by a Ukrainian soldier.

I didn't quote other posts in my post. I didn't write that it was the same old woman. In this video and others, you need to pay attention to a different opinion of other people with different views and a different life.
Why do I have a distorted opinion? Because this opinion does not coincide with your opinion? But even your opinion may be distorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting only if you want to believe it. It's the narrative the Russians have been using to justify their invasion from the start. That does not make it true but the entire situation from the start has been "complicated"
You can, of course, philosophize )) Everyone decides for himself what to believe. That doesn't make this video a lie. And the truth is always the same.
No. The truth changes. The facts are objective. You take the facts and build a truth.

Like how from the two countries, one invaded the other while it was under no threat from it, yet it blames the defending country for it.
Then again Putin himself said just before the invasion that Ukraine does not exist, is not real and should "join" Russia. You know, like how Nazi Germany did just before the onset of the WWII.

This time, once again, Russia is the bad guy. Russia is the invading force. Russia is the evil that must be stopped. Everything else is just Putin's truth. The invasion is the fact.
Ok. Let's talk facts.
Russia launched a military operation to protect civilians in the Donets and Lugansk People's Republics.

Let's remember the NATO aggression against Yugoslavia 1999. Read about the reason for the attack:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_b..._of_Yugoslavia
Is there something in common?

Do you want to talk about made-up pretexts for attack? If you are interested in politics and the situation in Ukraine, then look for information about the number of Russians living in Ukraine, the status of the Russian language in Ukraine, Nazi processions on the streets of Ukraine, honoring SS veterans and the destruction of civilians (over the past 8 years) in the Donbass region. Western media (not all) prefer not to notice some events.

Putin is not going to annex Ukraine to Russia. He said the following (quote): "...It is not our plan to occupy the Ukrainian territory..."

If you are wondering what Putin really said on February 24 (text and video):
http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/67843

You forgot to say that Nazi Germany also burned some books (including Jewish ones)... In some Western countries, Russian exhibitions, performances by Russian athletes, musicians are now banned, Russian names are being renamed, etc.

Why is Russia the bad guy? Good guys bombing Iraq, Libya, Yugoslavia?
NATO wars are one thing, but Russia's wars are another?

To live in peace, it is necessary to take into account the interests of all parties, otherwise a conflict similar to the "Caribbean crisis" may occur. An interesting article about "Indivisible Security". Read it (it's small):
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...raine-standoff

I'm trying to get you my point of view, but you call it propaganda or Putin's truth.
I hope someday the politicians will agree and end these wars.
Old May 10th, 2022, 08:10 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok. Let's talk facts.
Russia launched a military operation to protect civilians in the Donets and Lugansk People's Republics.
I stopped reading there.
If I were the owner of this site I would ban you right there.
I am not, so I am not going to continue reading more than this from your pathetic propaganda.
You managed to insert 4 lies in less than two lines of text. Congrats.
Don't reply to me again.
Old May 10th, 2022, 12:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Maxim

Your time is coming to an end if for no other reason than what Wdll wrote but maybe you could explain why if .........

Quote:
"Russia launched a military operation to protect civilians in the Donets and Lugansk People's Republics."
.....which as you and EVERYONE ELSE well knows are two breakaway states in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine ........that are within internationally-recognized Ukrainian territory

Why EXACTLY were the great heroes of mother Russia doing 900 km away in Irpin if all they were doing was "protecting civilians in the Donets and Lugansk"

??

Please do explain. We'd all like to hear what you have to say on that and DO try to confine yourself to that and only that question and keep the answer short.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2022, 12:39 PM

Private

webego is on a distinguished road

On the eve of the military operation, Russia recognized the independence of these republics.
One of Russia's goals is the demilitarization of Ukraine.
The objects of military strikes were also in Odessa, Lvov and other regions. NATO did the same on the territory of Yugoslavia defending Kosovo in 1999 (for example, they bombed Belgrade).
Old May 10th, 2022, 02:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
On the eve of the military operation, Russia recognized the independence of these republics.
That's nice and irrelevant. That was the "excuse" to invade

Quote:
One of Russia's goals is the demilitarization of Ukraine.
Not doing such a good job of that. It was relatively peaceful but now it's THE most militarized place on earth and the cause of that is Ukraine's eastern neighbour

Quote:

The objects of military strikes were also in Odessa, Lvov and other regions. NATO did the same on the territory of Yugoslavia defending Kosovo in 1999 (for example, they bombed Belgrade).
Not the same and you know it.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 10th, 2022 at 02:25 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2022, 03:07 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

I have noticed that few of the destroyed Russian armor seemed to be trying to use the terrain in a hull-down position. I believe the game does do Hull-down calculations based on adjoining hex terrain and a % but it is shot by shot, not a long term bonus like being in an emplacement.
Russian tanks because of their low profile and auto loaders do not as easily hull-down. Perhaps one take-away from the current news is this ability should not be allowed for those post T-55 era tanks built like that. (T-55/62/64/72/80...etc).
Also as each shot is displayed could a color/symbol/text indicate if a non-penetration was due to a hull-down advantage?
Closed Thread