winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 19th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road
Default Russian Picklists

Hi

Has anyone played with these? I usually play generated campaigns but the Russians as a computer generated opponent are unplayable. I usually have a core of a company of para's, an MBT, a platoon of mortars and some scout vehicles. I have the armor heavy button clicked. They usually pick a few mortars, a company or so of infantry and a boat load of ATGMs. In a meeting engagement, I am dug in and waiting for them at all the victory hexes by the time they get up to the line. It is like shooting fish in a barrel. I play against lots of other countries and it seems that the Russians are the only ones who pick in that way and are easily beaten. I played against the Bulgarians once and assumed they would be like the Russians. Holy crap, I got overrun by armor on top of armor....
Old March 19th, 2022, 04:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Russian Picklists

The main usual question is WHAT YEAR ???
The second is who are you playing AS ??

IDK why I have to ask that given Russia has 15 picklists covering 79 years and two different types of opponents

As well the computer AI for campaigns will pick the same as the Computer AI for a generated battle and nobody's complained about that but without the full info I have no idea what to check and when

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 19th, 2022 at 05:05 PM..
Old March 19th, 2022, 05:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Well, your core sounds very low points so "AI Tank Heavy" will give no results since the AI requires the points to actually buy those extra tanks in the first place. And in the erea of MBTs, even a tank section is horribly expensive.

It also has to buy the artillery, SAMs etc. And a late era SAM battery can really soak up the points, ditto for Tungaskas.
Old March 19th, 2022, 07:22 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The main usual question is WHAT YEAR ???
The second is who are you playing AS ??

IDK why I have to ask that given Russia has 15 picklists covering 79 years and two different types of opponents

As well the computer AI for campaigns will pick the same as the Computer AI for a generated battle and nobody's complained about that but without the full info I have no idea what to check and when
Hi
I am using dates from 2020 to 2022. The opponents I have used are Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Poland, Ukraine and Germany. All are getting a very feeble opposition.
Old March 19th, 2022, 07:25 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Well, your core sounds very low points so "AI Tank Heavy" will give no results since the AI requires the points to actually buy those extra tanks in the first place. And in the erea of MBTs, even a tank section is horribly expensive.

It also has to buy the artillery, SAMs etc. And a late era SAM battery can really soak up the points, ditto for Tungaskas.
I usually always play with that core rom mainly Western Countries and get much more substantial opposition.
Old March 19th, 2022, 11:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If you are going to play a low point game in the modern era do not have tank hvy ON

I built a game as you described using Sweden as the opponent and the Russians Advancing, The Swede force was worth 1206 points and had 104 men

Quote:
I usually have a core of a company of para's, an MBT, a platoon of mortars and some scout vehicles.

The AI bought as the advancing Russians a force value of 2455 and 301 troops, The second time was 2462 with 179 men but two tanks

both times there are ATGM bought as the picklist is set up to expect a battle not a skirmish and I suspect this has never been an issue before simply because a 1200 point force in this decade is a way smaller battle than "normally" played. I will take a look at the picklist to see if an adjustment can be made for teeny-tiny battles because the Kornet and Konkurs section eat up a lot of points
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWD.png
Views:	318
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	16656   Click image for larger version

Name:	RUS.png
Views:	320
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	16657   Click image for larger version

Name:	RUS-2.png
Views:	318
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	16658  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 19th, 2022, 11:16 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

For MBT I’d suggest 10k in points, 1-5k is nothing. I’d say 5-8k min.
Old March 20th, 2022, 12:14 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Post 2000 5K points is indeed low - a USA Mech Company is 6300 or so in 2024 and a leg co 900 or so. A 10 tank Soviet T-72 BM3 Co is 4600ish.

The Soviets do like to take a 6 launcher SAM battery, will look at the points remaining required for that - or may swap to a platoon buy. (6 SA-2 in the 70s is not costly, modern stuff is)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 20th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

We may have a solution to this and if it does work it will be included with the next update

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 20th, 2022, 01:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

JUST FOR FUN..... try a battle using Swedes or Finns or a combination using the type of force you detailed in the first post In 1978 and see if that gives you a better skirmish vs a Russian opponent.

I think it will because for that decade the main Russian infantry coys do not have the ATGM sections tacked on and we are thinking those formations should have a single ATGM not a section. The "D" coy has a total of 6 ATGM teams which might be overdoing it a bit

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: