.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who here is a Vet?

lawl at qm thanking me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sombre For This Useful Post:
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Yeah the definition of a vet is elusive. To me - it really just means a player who's played a fair amount of MP. That they have a really strong grasp of the core strategy, commonly used tactics and key spells, and some underlying mechanics. Enough so that they can innovate and adapt to problems instead of caving to the first trick tactic they are hit by. But they by no means have to be the best player out there.

I would add some of the folks from the roster that Pasha uses to invite to his games, too. They are generally pretty good. So lets say:

Pashadawg, Atul, Calmon, WraithLord, Okin, DonCorazon, Zeldor, TheDemon, Zlefin, Namad
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

JimMorrison, Executor, atul, Dr. P, Baalz
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Some of the most ancient of players would definitely be "veterans" but far from any "expert opponents" list. Im not sure that would meet your needs anyway.

For the purpose of the original post I think you might have wanted to ask for people who are consistent winners in a specific type of game. Veteran lists in the past have often aimed toward kill-all games with CBM on medium maps. Since its a team game being created you might want veterans with proven histories in the areas of diplomacy and allied play which I think would be a very different group. In fact I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 people that I would ever consider for both lists.
Thats right for this post. AlgaeNymph is looking to recruit one

But it is also a fairly good definition for this site. You can quibble with the name but most mp games organised on this site are not blitzes or vast epics or team games or detailed scenarios. There are no sp game of the months (as at the Civ forums) or puzzle scenarios run. With a few exceptions, games are all against all with 8+ players here. These games dominate this site even if blitzes organised elsewhere and sp games in general are played more. Most of the guides and many of the strategy discussions on the site are focuses on this large free for all mp type game too.

So when people talk of mp veterans on this site, I think the sort of person AlgaeNymph is looking for is what they mean. That does not mean that they are any more than that - the very good players of the sort of mp games organised here.

And I don't really like any other criteria in any case for veterans.

I think the Thanks button is good for what it does and in general those people who get a lot of Thanks are those who give helpful advice in threads or have done mods, guides or maps. So people like Edi, gandalf, Baalz, Burnsaber and Sombre quite rightly get plenty of thanks. But I certainly thank people for funny lines or simply to show support in a row/reasoned discussion as well. And I have yet to thank someone for slaughtering me in mp (so bad luck Dimaz, Atul et al) and I am not about to start More likely to thank someone who was useless and I rolled them over early on So I am not sure how much of a guide it would be to how well they can play.

Those of us who have been here a long time are still waiting for our 5 year Gold Pen icon to appear next to our username And I sometimes wonder if Gandalf is only here now to get his Gold Watch icon when he reaches 10 years But I am not sure it is a guide quality of play wise.

Number of posts would be a poor guide too. Especially as no distinction is made post wise (or length of time on the board) between Dominions and other games on the board.

So go for it Calahan. I think your idea on recommending 3 people each is great Although I would ask for a sentence or so explaining why you have made your picks. Mentioning a game they played well in or tactic they used very effectively. Otherwise you may simply get a lot of people recommending 'famous' names even if they have never played them (or indeed those famous names never actually play mp....)

And finally can some Vet - self appointed or voted in - please sign up to the game AlgaeNymph refered to in his first post. Your team awaits and the rest of us can't start without you
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Don't think I saw them mentioned, ano, kuritza, dimaz, meglobob & karnoza.

IMO, each name on this list can give even Micah a run for it
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

Psycho, Amhaizer, Jazzepi
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplosternum View Post
So go for it Calahan. I think your idea on recommending 3 people each is great
If I get a few more nudges on this, then I'll try to get something started next week if I have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplosternum View Post
Although I would ask for a sentence or so explaining why you have made your picks. Mentioning a game they played well in or tactic they used very effectively. Otherwise you may simply get a lot of people recommending 'famous' names even if they have never played them (or indeed those famous names never actually play mp....)
In my head I can see several ways of how 'vet voting' could work. So if I do go ahead and do this, what I'll probably do is get my head down and think about it properly (as it's just an 'idea' at the moment), come back with some thoughts on how it could work, and canvass opinions on them.

One thing I'll probably do though is to divide 'vets' into two groups. One with "good players" in, the other containing "highly experienced" ones. Although being on either list is of course not mutually exclusive. And if the term 'vet' is to be associated with the "good player" group (which seems best IMO), then I'd happily welcome suggestions for another term that can be used for the "highly experienced" group.
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

I say it's a fine idea, go for it.
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
If I get a few more nudges on this, then I'll try to get something started next week if I have the time.
Go for it. It's a good idea, as long as you keep it simple. That is, not too much variables. Simply something like 3 points for the first nominee per person, 2 for the second, one for the last, and perhaps a few words why the person deserves that position in their books.
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Corporal

Raiel is on a distinguished road

I definitely like the idea of a vet thread.

How will you account for continued skill developement? We can't all be the best, but it's conceivable that one day there will be few or no new players - at some point, everyone who's left is probably experienced enough to be a "vet."

(1 set of votes per poster) + (no new posters) = no vet status for the newest vets