.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Sergeant

TheDemon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: simultaneous movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrax View Post
That's cool. So if I understand this right, when my opponent has a scout in my province and in the same turn: he attacks that province with the scout and I move the 100-man army that's in the same province to another province. After this fix, the vast majority of the time, he won't be able to block my army: my army will move on and he will attack my empty province. Is this correct?
Incorrect.

As of the game right now, attacking the province your army is in with a hidden scout in that province will NOT affect your movement. In fact, your army will move out of that province before the scout attacks. There is no such thing as a "one-hidden-scout-holding-up-a-1000-man army" problem. This very thread explains that a hidden attacker in the same province will not stop an army from moving. It's the OP's 3rd question.

What people are talking about when they refer to 'scout blocking' is using the pushback rules to attack with a scout from the adjacent province your army is ordered to move to. By doing this, it is possible that the scout will be the one allowed to move and the army will be "blocked" by the opposing move of a single scout. (not guaranteed: it's random chance)

A scout is used because it's the cheapest commander in the game. Any commander or even small armies will work however.

This is the A->B and B->A situation ONLY.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDemon For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Corporal

Tarrax is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the detailed answer. This came up in a game I admin

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?p=817660

so that's why I wanted to ask. I don't block armies with just commanders in my games so I thought maybe that was what they were doing.

In that case, it sounds like the patch will address the most frequent situation / tactic people complain about then.

Do you like surfing game forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and gaming acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Read about it in my post here
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Private

Man with No Name is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrax View Post
In that case, it sounds like the patch will address the most frequent situation / tactic people complain about then.
That is the hope, or at least what is being theorised based on the progress page patch notes.

Although there is no clear indication whether the patch will stop all lone Commander blocking incidents all together, or simply reduce their frequency below what it is now, or to an insignificant level. I guess that won't be known until the next patch is released and there is feedback from MP games that used the patch.