The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Star Legacy Development Group > Star Legacy

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welcome Star Legacy Development Group!

when it comes to reporting the money flow, be sure to include the ending balance for last month in addition to the usual projected balance for this month. The breakdowns from SE4 were thorough enough, but not having the end of month numbers makes it difficult to track trends accurately. For example, take a look at SE4. If half my queues finished this turn, then in the Empires tab my Construction costs at the start of the turn will reflect only what is CURRENTLY being worked on. It's much more accurate to look at what we DID, instead of what we think we MIGHT do...
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Private

MarcoPolo is on a distinguished road

I think the pitfalls to making such an overcomplicated system for the purposes of balancing turn based moves versus realtime ones are obvious. CPUs of today cant handle the type of ambitious gaming dynamics we cry out for. So to simplify things is the compromise.

I dont mind having a Sins of a Solar Empire type rendition to the overall look and feel of the game as long as the basic premise is still as far reaching as the solid efforts of past games, MOO2 and SE4. Its original concept design that makes and breaks a game, also implementation. But there are alot of has been 4X games that could of been amazing but fell short, some are Imperium Galactica II. It could of been incredible if done in a more expansive way. Although it did have some unique ideas that are appealing to me still.

Well I just hope Star Legacy can balance the expectations of many 4X fans. My requirement is simple, please make the star systems as realisitic as possible, like Haegemonia, with star types and planet types having at least some bearing to habitability and resources available. I really am yet to see a game that boasts being able to be scientifically accurate in the way planets are generated, and having spectrally precise stellar bodies ie stars. Wouldnt it be amazing to visit Sirius and see a blue giant that perhaps has quite a different array of planet types to choose from.

If one can exploit differing level of resources based on tech level and abundance of terrestrial planets, asteroids, versus gas giants and star type, then I am happy Im sure its quite clear by now from my previous posts that im abit of a logistical nut and immensely enjoy astronomical accuracy. Being abit of science buff too and how human development would carry on realistically beyond the stars.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:51 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

This is of course just my personal opinion, but I don't care at all if the game is realistic or not. It must be fun to play it!
Chess is definitely not a realistic war game and yet people play it for centuries.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

"Q" you've done it again!!!
What a concept! "Make It Fun" who'd of thunk it!!!
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Private

InfStorm is on a distinguished road

Computer can handle a lot more today then they could, but the evolution of a turn base game comes down to a couple simple factors for combat resolution. Actually controlling your ships in combat is only good for single player games. If you try and have manually controlled combat in a multiple player 4x game, regardles of wether or not it is RTS or by turn, someone, somewhere is going to be sitting there waiting for other players to finish their combats, and deciding to go do something else. Combats need to be auto-resolved in order to keep 100% of the people at their computers and interested in the game.

In your single player game, it totally acceptable to give the person control of the fight, because he stays involved in the game 100% of the time. Wether it is RTS or a frm of turn based combat... that depends on other elements of the design and come up to a designer decision.
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:20 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfStorm View Post
Computer can handle a lot more today then they could, but the evolution of a turn base game comes down to a couple simple factors for combat resolution. Actually controlling your ships in combat is only good for single player games. If you try and have manually controlled combat in a multiple player 4x game, regardles of wether or not it is RTS or by turn, someone, somewhere is going to be sitting there waiting for other players to finish their combats, and deciding to go do something else. Combats need to be auto-resolved in order to keep 100% of the people at their computers and interested in the game.

In your single player game, it totally acceptable to give the person control of the fight, because he stays involved in the game 100% of the time. Wether it is RTS or a frm of turn based combat... that depends on other elements of the design and come up to a designer decision.
I agree with the MP aspect and if the game is to work for PBEM, then having the autoresolution done Dominions 3 style would be the best option.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Sergeant

jars_u is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfStorm View Post
Actually controlling your ships in combat is only good for single player games. ...in a multiple player 4x game... Combats need to be auto-resolved in order to keep 100% of the people at their computers and interested in the game.
I agree with the MP aspect and if the game is to work for PBEM, then having the autoresolution done Dominions 3 style would be the best option.
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM

First Lieutenant

Maybe combat could be broken up into say four (ex.) segments. Four segments would constitute one combat turn per game turn? After each segment, ships could be re-ordered to continue, change tactics, reinforce, or disengage!
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Sergeant

jars_u is on a distinguished road
Link Re: Welcome Star Legacy Development Group!

With SL rekindling my interest in the genre I just wanted to share this article I found in my surfing that might be of interest to this group:

history of space empire games 1980-2002

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM

First Lieutenant

Wow, I've played and still have some of those games all the way back to Reach for the Stars! Avalon Hill put a couple of board games out that weren't even mentioned in the article. I still have the box games from AH. I've played about 97% of the games mentioned in that article and I never realized it!!!