Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small maps, fewer turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artaud View Post
Ah...the reason I have not been seeing that stopwatch is that I tend to let the computer purchase and deploy my units. So, there isn't an option to view the map...
Holy No Recruiting Batman!!!! Wow that's always been part of the fun, and my atttachment to my troops!!

As long as you are having a blast!!!!

It is an awesome game!!!!

I second that. It's hell of a lot of fun killing Bob's troops and watching him sob over their deaths.
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ah...the reason I have not been seeing that stopwatch is that I tend to let the computer purchase and deploy my units. So, there isn't an option to view the map...
Yes, if you skip the purchase phase buy letting the AI buy for you then you would miss that and that's the only time you're given the option of changing game length.

Sometimes if I just want a challenge with a small force on a small map I'll let the AI purchase then fight with what's given. There's a much greater chance in reality of a commander fighing with what's available rather than with a carefully tailored , hand picked force

Don
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Sergeant

Artaud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
There's a much greater chance in reality of a commander fighing with what's available rather than with a carefully tailored , hand picked force

Don
This is--and has been since the old DOS version of SP--part of my rationale for letting the computer choose my force. I kind of like seeing what I've been given and making do with it. The random battle generator is one of the best features of the SP games, in my opinion.

Also, since I'm not an expert on every country's force structure, I worry that if I pick my own units I'm less likely to "get it right."

Sometimes when I play SPWW2 I'll buy my own units. I'm a fan of those oddball German assault guns like the Elefant, and throwing a force top-heavy with those against Soviet defenders is fun.

In the future with MBT I will be doing some scenario development. Soviet-Mujahedin, Ethiopia-Eritrea, Tanzania-Uganda, that kind of thing. So, I'll be spending more time with the editor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Artaud For This Useful Post:
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM

Private

DennisS is on a distinguished road

I got lucky and ran across this setting awhile back.

Experimenting with the units, attempting to get the right mix is amazing.

Pardon me, but I usually, for my 750-1500 point battles, have to get a platoon of the finest tanks available, as well as some heavy artillery. At that point, whatever points are left gets me a few grunts, and if I am lucky, a sniper or two!
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's alot like poker playing the hand you are dealt.
Verrry Interesting..
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Sergeant

Artaud is on a distinguished road

I love the many scenarios and maps that come with the game, but a really prefer smaller maps and have been trying (with limited success) to create some that are as amazing as the existing ones.

Years ago I was fortunate enough to find several official US army publications in a used book store, and they have really contributed to my renewed enjoyment of this game. The ones I have include "The Rifle Squads (Mechanized and Light Infantry) - TC 7-1", which was published in 1974, and several on the Red Army including "The Soviet Army: Troops, Organization and Equipment," which was published in 1984.

I've been trying to generate and fight battles using actual doctrine and realistic forces. Back in the DOS days my main strategy was simply to rush the enemy, but lately it's been a lot of fun--and educational as well--to make a real effort to employ bounding overwatch, suppressive fires, etc.

I like to try to assemble a realistic combined arms force, partly because I enjoy playing with infantry and APCs.

Recently I built a battle consisting of pro-government (green) forces fighting anti-government (red) forces for control of various key points in a city center. The pro-government side included special forces and "pro-government" infantry and a few Saladins, and the anti side had mostly miltia and insurgents with a couple of T-55s.

The AI leaves a bit to be desired, but in the end it was a chaotic and fun battle, with me a the pro-government side fighting the insurgents to a draw.

This game just has so many possibilities.

In addition to my planned Philippine scenario, I have one in mind featuring an Iranian invasion of Afghanistan (which nearly took place in 1998 or 1999, if my memory is correct).

I'm currently in the middle of some reasearch on Syria's complex and fascinating intervention in Lebanon during the 1970s-1980s. I noticed that the Lebanon OB includes several varieties of guerillas, which is just great. So, perhaps a scenario on some aspect of that would be interesting.

Many thanks to the developers of SPMBT and SP for Windows!

p.s. - I just LOVE those higher resolutions!
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We're glad you like it and thanks for buying the CD

Don
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Private

CTarana is on a distinguished road

With the old Dos version of SPMBT, one of the things that interested me was using very small units (deployable by a CH-47),
and inserting them into the rear of the AI's forces. There are some new units in this version (like the guerillas), I'm thinking of trying a similar strategy with small maps too.

I've only just started playing WinSPMBT, so I'm not sure if units like ambulances have been included, but I know I saw some civilians in the PLO forces.

ChristopherT
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:53 PM

Corporal

rfisher is on a distinguished road

I'm also a big fan of the smaller battles. (They suit my tiny attention span better!)

In larger battles I have too much time to decide that either my tactics or my choice of force was utter rubbish, and I should start all over again.

What I have the most fun doing is getting stuck into the OOB editor and making some SAS units for small 'scud-hunting' desert troops or 'Pebble Island' style raids.

It ain't terribly realistic, but it is a lot of fun!
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
I'm also a big fan of the smaller battles. (They suit my tiny attention span better!)

In larger battles I have too much time to decide that either my tactics or my choice of force was utter rubbish, and I should start all over again.

What I have the most fun doing is getting stuck into the OOB editor and making some SAS units for small 'scud-hunting' desert troops or 'Pebble Island' style raids.

It ain't terribly realistic, but it is a lot of fun!
lol, i already made a peeble island raid scen, i sometimes make unusual battles like this