.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Sergeant

Psientist is on a distinguished road
Default Useful, Successful #newitem mods

After quite a bit of experimentation (doms v3.17 so far), I have not been able to make the #newitem mod copy many special weapon or armor abilities. the #weapon and #armor commands generally only copy basic attributes (range, damage, protection, etc.), or other attributes only within same item types (#type). The ways that I have found #newitem modding to be useful:
  1. Creating "plot items" with no abilities to speak of beyond zero-effect misc items or basic weapons/armor, but with descriptions and names that help add "story" to your overall mod;
  2. Creating an item (armor, shield, boots, helmet, misc) that #weapon copies a weapon with a #bonus attack. This grants an extra attack item like the "Spirit Helmet" or "Dancing Trident" or "Chi Shoes".
  3. Creating a direct weapon-weapon duplication to make a unique item non-unique, or differently accessible (I made a copy Sun Slayer).
  4. There are a few unique weapons listed in Edi's database that you cannot create by modding, and the #newitem mod DOES let you create a forgeable new weapon with them.

So, I thought it might be helpful if we shared examples where the #newitem mod was used to successfully create interesting magic items (and not just forgeable basic weapons / armor). If you succeeded in creating something cool, please share.

Here are my starter examples (no comments made toward balance):

------------------------- Example: plot item only, no real benefit
#newitem
#copyitem 151
#name "Torc of the Exile"
#copyspr "Slave Collar"
#constlevel 10
#mainpath 5
#mainlevel 10
#type 8 -- misc
#descr "One of the three pieces of the broken soul of Dergoth the Exile, a defeated demigod. It was generally considered the most dangerous of the three since it contained the Exile's intellect and will, and would quickly enslave any who wore it. However, powerful binding spells have nullified most of its power and while they remain it will seem little more than a powerless trinket."
#end

-------------------------------------- #Example: Plot item + duplication of a unique item to give to a special AI commander
#newitem
#weapon "Sun Slayer"
#name "Sword of the Exile"
#copyspr "Sun Slayer" -- Sun Slayer
#descr "One of the three pieces of the broken soul of Dergoth the Exile, a defeated demigod. It was generally considered the most destructive of the three since it contained the Exile's corruption and hatred. The rage within the sword may corrupt the body and mind of the one who bears it."
#constlevel 10
#mainpath 5
#mainlevel 10
#type 2 -- 2hsword
#end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Example: special weapon ("astral claw") granted as a bonus attack
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- misc. magic item unique
#newitem
#weapon "Astral Claw" -- special weapon, horror claw
#name "Soulclaw"
#copyspr 112 -- sharpest tooth
#constlevel 10
#mainpath 5
#descr "A foul and grotesque talon magically crafted from the ethereal corpse of a dead Horror. The Claw will grant its bearer an extra psychic attack, which will cause corrupted wounds that may draw the attention of Horrors for the rest of the victim's life."
#type 7 -- misc
#end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Example: grant blue dragon's cold breath as a powerful forgeable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- weapon
#newitem
#weapon "Cold Breath"
#name "Horn of Frost"
#copyspr "Horn of Valor"
#descr "A horn of a great Blue Dragon, magically enchanted to call forth gouts of freezing cold."
#constlevel 6
#mainpath 2
#mainlevel 4
#type 1 -- 1hd
#end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Example: misc item that grants a life drain bonus attack
#newitem
#weapon "Minor Life Drain"
#name "Psychic Leech"
#copyspr "Astral Serpent"
#descr "This enchanted necklace can attack and drain the lifeforce of enemies, adding it to the health of the wearer.."
#constlevel 6
#mainpath 7
#mainlevel 4
#type 7 -- misc
#end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Example: helmet that grants an attack that only affects
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- magic creatures
#newitem
#weapon "slay magic"
#name "Horrorsbane"
#copyspr "Spirit Helmet"
#descr "The eldritch Mi-Go were the only race to not fear attacks by Horrors. This helmet contains a rare Mi-Go gem, which grants its wearer the a powerful psychic attack against magic creatures."
#constlevel 6
#mainpath 4
#mainlevel 5
#type 6 -- hat
#end

.... I can't find it, but I also semi-successfully copied the Twitsting Thorns armor and gave the special defensive damage attribute to a shield, I think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psientist For This Useful Post:
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Useful, Successful #newitem mods

Do your weapons actually work? I'm busy with some now and I can't get them to appear.

#newitem
#weapon "Blaster"
#name "Blaster"
#copyspr "Just Man's Cross"
#descr "The blaster is a basic ranged weapon used all around the galaxy."
#constlevel 0
#mainpath 3
#mainlevel 1
#type 3
#end

also tries

#newitem
#name "Blaster"
#copyspr 16
#descr "The blaster is a basic ranged weapon used all around the galaxy."
#constlevel 0
#mainpath 3
#mainlevel 1
#type 3
#weapon 701
#end

neither show up and I don't get it and to me it seems the same idea as yours
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Useful, Successful #newitem mods

I would really really really like to know how to get this working so I can mod me some 2 dozen weapons for Dom 3 K

-blaster
-heavy blaster
-double barrel blaster
-sniper rifle
-poison needler
-needler
etc etc

all sorts of stuff I need to do but I'm just not getting what is wrong.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.