This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 14th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

CNCRaymond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Saddam Hussein Arrested

He looks a lot like that mad scientist from the Black Hole. You know, the one who killed the crew and turned the survivors into machines then plunged the Cyngus into the black hole thus destroying her.

He had a gun, with bullets, and was taken alive, what a fricking coward. *shakes head*

Good job to our military guys and the Iraqs who helped nab this SOB.
Old December 14th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slynky:
quote:
Originally posted by Karibu:
I think this will buy G.W. Bush another season as president.
What a shame
You didn't think the Democrats had a chance anyway, did you?

Their current frontrunner is banking heavily on the Bush-hatin', which does great things for his chance at the democratic nomination. But he doesn't need to sway the loyal Democrats, which is what 99% of the Bush-haters are anyway. And he doesn't need to sway the youth. Despite what you may have heard in popular media, the 'youth vote' has never made a difference.

He needs to sway that oh-so-important undecided 20%, and he's not going to get them with a straw-man baddie. The only way the Democrats have a chance at the next election is if something unexpected and terrible happens in the next year. Something that make Bush look even worse than he does now, and that might take some serious doing.

The smart Democrats should be positioning themselves for 2008, which might be what Gore is doing. Personally, I'm hoping for the chance to vote for Liberman, which I almost certainly won't be getting in 2004. Unless of course Dean finds himself in a Gary Hart situation.

Of course, once Bush is unable to run again I might get the chance to vote McCain. Or maybe some other decent Republican, 'cause Cheney won't be running.

As for Saddam's trial, I'll allow that the World Court might have a better claim to him that the U.S. Government. But I'd like to hear good reasons for the World Court having more of a right to try him than the Iraqis.

Whoever it is, I hope he doesn't get death. I just don't think that will work out especially well.

*Loser looks forward, especially, to replies from Rex, Oleg, and The Primitive One.*
Old December 14th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Corporal

SamuraiProgrammer is on a distinguished road

Let's not equate capturing Saddam with winning the election! Let's not equate failing to capture Saddam with losing the election!

You see, if we do, it starts to imply that there are Americans that are sad Saddam got caught because it might mean their party might not win.

Any American who is sad (in any way) about Saddam getting caught needs to have a proirity check! Soon!

When the political party system gets in the way of unity as a nation against someone who has the undisputed history of murdering his own people, then partisan politics has gone tooooooo far!

I predict a hot period of suicide attacks in Iraq followed by peace at Last!

WOOHOO!

Merry Christmas!!
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:04 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I wonder if they'll treat him as badly as their captives in camp X-Ray. And if they treat him better than them, I wonder whether anyone will ask why those 'suspected terrorists' are being treated so badly when this guy who is undeniably responsible for untold misery gets proper treatment.

But all the same, good to have the old bastard behind bars.
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

CNCRaymond is on a distinguished road

Dan Quale 2008 all the way!
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:29 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by dogscoff:
I wonder if they'll treat him as badly as their captives in camp X-Ray. And if they treat him better than them, I wonder whether anyone will ask why those 'suspected terrorists' are being treated so badly when this guy who is undeniably responsible for untold misery gets proper treatment.
The suspects in camp X-ray aren't being treated badly, beyond the simple fact that they are being held indefinately which I will allow is wrong by itself and needs rectified. Perhaps compared to a standard US prision they have it rough, but by international standards they are being treated quite well. There have been some restrictions on their free expression of their religious beliefs, but that would not be a punishment for Sadaam as his adherance to Islam has never been more then for his own polictical benefit anyway.

Geoschmo
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Loser:

*Loser looks forward, especially, to replies from Rex, Oleg, and The Primitive One.*
Thank you

Congrats on catching him alive, well done.

You don't have me down as a Saddam lover, do you ? He is a SOB and a war criminal and deserves everyting he got coming.

However: I think catching him alive now is not a good sign for GWB. Dead it would have been a clean victory, alive he will only help bring the focus back to GWBs lying and cheating during the buildup to the war. I predict once the first celebrations are over, GWB will face renewed attention from the media regarding the missing WMDs and the big contracts awarded to his friends. Weather it's enough to throw the election or not; we can only hope (or not ).

BTW:
Feel free to throw this back in my face in 6 months time if I'm wrong
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by primitive:
You don't have me down as a Saddam lover, do you ?
Not at all. I can't think of anyone I know, RL or Online, I would put on that list.

It's your... how to put it... pronounced and well expressed disapproval of the recent course of actions taken but U.S. leadership that would bring something more to this thread. Not that I disapprove of pat-on-the-back content, but variety of opinion and contribution is what these threads great.

Also not that post so far have been strictly congratulatory or jingoistic (hates the word, so overused, like France-bashing, used to be cool but now everyone's doing it ), but I figured you'd have something to contribute that might not otherwise be noted.

And although I disagree with your belief that this event will bring more focus on the ... perhaps lies, perhaps misunderstandings (never assume malice where ignorance or incompetence are fine explanations (though I lean more toward the 'lie' side every month) that were used to justify the matter in the first place, it is a real possibility that I had not yet considered.

[edit: thems some bad sentances. broke a few rules there, I think)

[ December 14, 2003, 15:51: Message edited by: Loser ]
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

Cipher7071 is on a distinguished road

It seems there are a number of Iraqis who want to try Saddam in Iraq. Some of the of pundits say Iraq, some say in international court, some say both. In any case, trying him in the U.S. would be a big mistake all around.
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Well, one thing is for sure (I think):

The Bush administration is enjoying the lack of attention there has been on the push for proof of WMD. I still mention it to my wife (a devout Bush supporter), though. I still remember all the aerial photographs before the "action" started with arrows pointing to places that housed the WMD. And when they got there, nothing. And nothing since. And the chief inspector in the country, from Germany, saying they had never found anything.

I think the US wanted to flex its muscle (given certain events) and I don't disagree that Iraq was a country gone awry (sp?). But, even in the US, it's illegal for a guy to go beat up another guy even if he is sure this guy will do some bad some day.