.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paralysis is overpowered.

Bogarus can recruit an Astral 2 with 1 in 4 has level 3 astral out of any fort. That is pretty damn repectable Astral magic.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Paralyze is not that scary. It will always target the highest hit point unit, so you just need to bring along another SC to be the target and give him lead shield, rainbow armor, astral cap and AMA for 31 MR.

What is more, the paralyze spammers will continue to cast paralyze on the already paralyzed unit if there are no more targets of his size. Bring one elephant with your army and you'll see that he continues to be targeted even when already paralyzed.
This is confirmed as NOT TRUE.

I had a Size 3 prophet with ~150ish hp and 3 size 6 heros with 72hp.

Only the first paralyze went to the prophet. When it made its save, subsequent paralyzes went to various heroes.

But this is pretty obvious in fact; were it true you would never have more than one unit paralyzed in a fight.

The selection algorythmn has to be based on other factors. I suggest that hp, size, and closeness are all relevent, as is whether the unit is already paralyzed.

Then it's a combination of size and hit points. Nevertheless it is quite easy to find one unit to bring along that you will be sure is going to get targeted. Just make sure he is big and meaty.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Quote:
Paralyze is not that scary. It will always target the highest hit point unit, so you just need to bring along another SC to be the target and give him lead shield, rainbow armor, astral cap and AMA for 31 MR.

What is more, the paralyze spammers will continue to cast paralyze on the already paralyzed unit if there are no more targets of his size. Bring one elephant with your army and you'll see that he continues to be targeted even when already paralyzed.
This is confirmed as NOT TRUE.

I had a Size 3 prophet with ~150ish hp and 3 size 6 heros with 72hp.

Only the first paralyze went to the prophet. When it made its save, subsequent paralyzes went to various heroes.

But this is pretty obvious in fact; were it true you would never have more than one unit paralyzed in a fight.

The selection algorythmn has to be based on other factors. I suggest that hp, size, and closeness are all relevent, as is whether the unit is already paralyzed.

Then it's a combination of size and hit points. Nevertheless it is quite easy to find one unit to bring along that you will be sure is going to get targeted. Just make sure he is big and meaty.
Psycho is speaking from experience. We were both in an MP game and he was playing Kailasa. His strategy centered around spamming paralyze and it was pretty effective until I (Caelum) started bringing enough mammoths to protect my high HP mages.

When it was just my mages (~14ish HP / size 3) and my regular troops (~10ish HP / size 3) the mages were the only ones targeted.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:34 AM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road

I've seen this several times. If you bring even a single elephant with a regular army he is the only one to get targeted by paralyze until he is killed.

Paralyze usually isn't a big deal against regular armies because it will most often target troops rather then commanders. Of course there are exceptions - with EA Agartha you will get your mages targeted first for example.

Paralyze is not the only spell that choses its targets in this ways. Many other do as well. Here's an example from one MP game of mine. I am attacking an Abysian army that has three vampire lords scripted to cast life for life. I have a seraph and an AQ in my army. In order to protect them I throw in a Tartarian Cyclops as well. I know he is the one that will be targeted because he's the biggest (he is size 5, but has most hp). I stack a lot of regen. on him and script 5xMistform. The cyclops survives, vampire lords use up their blood slaves and the seraph and AQ were free to do their thing.

If he had warlocks spamming paralyze the target would be the same and I could put some extra MR just on that Tartarian cyclops to have a better chance to resist them. I also remember a battle where after paralyzing an enemy tartarian titan, my mages continued spamming paralyze, soul slay and enslave mind on him and payed no attention to his bane lords tearing through my army.