.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom3 vs. Catalyst 9.1 & 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedas View Post
You are right that you don't need to uninstall the Catalyst driver before updating. The CCC installer takes care of the cleaning for you.
Doesn't mean that it does a clean uninstall of the old version. More often than not, old registry entries are left behind that refer to stuff that isn't there anymore. Almost every program I've ever seen does that, or leaves some uninstaller reference issue or another. I clean those out with Ccleaner.

One good example is F-Secure internet security software, if you uninstall that using the uninstaller that came with it, it leaves a crapload of entries, some of which contain functionality. If it goes kablooey on you and those are not removed, reninstalling the software will not get rid of the problems since they still refer to the old corrupted stuff. So you need to use their own separate removal tool to get it off the machine clean.

A software package the size of the CCC and supposed to run on different hardware configurations in several varieties of Windows, damn straight I will NOT trust it to do a clean removal of old software before installing new stuff.

One of the reasons my computer needs so little maintenance is because I'm so anal about doing things right from the get-go and not trusting too much. Learned to act that way from experience.
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Corporal

QXel is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Dom3 vs. Catalyst 9.1 & 9.2

Dedas, Edi, I won't interfere in your conversation. Really. No way.

Well, I've just tested: unisntall Catalyst 8.12, a little Ccleaner on my registry base (I hope this is a good tool, because I entirely trusted it in the fixes it proposed to me ... ), and the reboot in VGA & installation of Catalyst 9.2.

It doesn't work. Same issue: corrupted display. I've got a screen capture of the Dom3 begin screen and it's ugly, look for yourself 'see attached file - sory, I don't know how to insert image directly from my computer ; it seems you can't).

So, I uninstall Catalyst 9.2, a little VGA screen and reinstall 8.12.

I will now rearrange my desktop icons, gathered in a messy way after VGA state between to drivers install (that's why I HATE uninstall GC Drivers )

I stay sure that it is an driver issue with my specific GC model. Bah, I will live with it for now.

EDIT: Edi, I only install recently some DirectX Windows games, so it's not supposed to interfere ... But who knows?
By the way, this is the first time I've got this kind of problem. I have experienced some battlefield display problems after new drivers (especially massive slowdown when heavy graphics), but not this kind of thing.
It makes me think that I continue to have some weird battle display, since I got Dom3 (and with differents GC): this is always in some particular area (i.e. some specific battlegrounds, always the sames): particules effects (like heat or cold surrounding, or flames or explosions) aren't completly displayed and the background don't refresh so if you move the camera, the image stack on itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dom3-Cata9_2-lo.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	7884  

The One Who Only Play Single Player Games For Fun, Who Is Not A Maniac of 'The Ultimate Tactic', The Negation of 'The Ugly But Very Efficient Micro-Management For Winning With Minimum Losses And Ascend All The Time'

Last edited by QXel; March 7th, 2009 at 04:02 PM..
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

In almost any other case I would agree with you, Edi. Nvidia Forceware for example uses a pretty basic installer that leaves a lot of registry posts behind. Not so with the latest Catalyst installer manager. It is specially made just to make sure nothing is left behind, running tests while it installs to make sure everything is in place. Just check out the Ati forums.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXel View Post
Dedas, Edi, I won't interfere in your conversation. Really. No way.

Well, I've just tested: unisntall Catalyst 8.12, a little Ccleaner on my registry base (I hope this is a good tool, because I entirely trusted it in the fixes it proposed to me ... ), and the reboot in VGA & installation of Catalyst 9.2.

It doesn't work. Same issue: corrupted display. I've got a screen capture of the Dom3 begin screen and it's ugly, look for yourself 'see attached file - sory, I don't know how to insert image directly from my computer ; it seems you can't).

So, I uninstall Catalyst 9.2, a little VGA screen and reinstall 8.12.

I will now rearrange my desktop icons, gathered in a messy way after VGA state between to drivers install (that's why I HATE uninstall GC Drivers )

I stay sure that it is an driver issue with my specific GC model. Bah, I will live with it for now.

EDIT: Edi, I only install recently some DirectX Windows games, so it's not supposed to interfere ... But who knows?
By the way, this is the first time I've got this kind of problem. I have experienced some battlefield display problems after new drivers (especially massive slowdown when heavy graphics), but not this kind of thing.
It makes me think that I continue to have some weird battle display, since I got Dom3 (and with differents GC): this is always in some particular area (i.e. some specific battlegrounds, always the sames): particules effects (like heat or cold surrounding, or flames or explosions) aren't completly displayed and the background don't refresh so if you move the camera, the image stack on itself.
!!!

Ok, I think I found the problem and I can reproduce it on my computer. The crook is the new feature Catalyst A.I and it is found under the 3D folder in CCC. Set it to "Standard" or disable it totally, whatever works for you.

Here is a more detailed guide:

1. Right click on your desktop and start the Catalyst Control Center.

2. Go to the '3D' folder.

3. Select 'Catalyst A.I'

4. Click 'Disable'

5. Press 'Ok'

Here is a screenshot I took when I set the Catalyst A.I to "advanced".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dom3 2009-03-07 23-03-50-86.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	7888  

Last edited by Dedas; March 7th, 2009 at 06:16 PM..
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Another thing I thought of was: What language and display support do you have enabled? I have almost everything and never had problems.

It could be the model difference. Also, if you installed some DirectX stuff from other games instead of using the MS DirectX installer, I suppose that could cause some trouble.

As far as Ccleaner goes, you can generally trust that registry tool. I have never seen it remove anything other than references to things that aren't there anymore.

I hope you get your issue sorted out.
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

I solved a similar problem by going to the *oldest* drivers available. Probably won't work as the card is too new.

But oft times the version submitted to MicroSoft got the most testing..
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

If you had a similar problem with an ATI card and Catalyst drivers you should really try what I suggested. Disable Catalyst A.I under the Catalyst Control Center. No need to use old drivers.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Corporal

QXel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Dom3 vs. Catalyst 9.1 & 9.2

Dedas, I just test it: it works!

Thanks you very much. I was thinking at something like that, but I rarely touch settings, just because I reallly don't understand what they're doing

I WAS a geek, but now, I am just a basic user. No longer testing, adjusting or experimenting strange computers things

I just want to start & play. Beside, I'm working in a computing services company, and I have plenty of very experienced engineers who generally solve my problems
That's cost my a lot of coffee, believe me!

And all of you, of course! But I can't offer you coffee, sorry ...

Thanks again.

Edi, thanks for you advices too, especially on Ccleaner. I had a LOT of useless things in my registry database. Now, it's clean.

I'm going to go back on my Hinnom game, now. And patinetly wait for the new patch.

The One Who Only Play Single Player Games For Fun, Who Is Not A Maniac of 'The Ultimate Tactic', The Negation of 'The Ugly But Very Efficient Micro-Management For Winning With Minimum Losses And Ascend All The Time'
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

No problem, QXel! Great that it works for you!

Happy gaming!