Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
this was a bummer... - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: this was a bummer...

The "feature" you say its unintended by the devs. An accident. Besides i dont say its cheating. I say its lame. And if every nation has an aedge why those players cant play a random nation game??
Did you ever seen a player win with maenads? how those undead are superior units? Wrong examples. Acro mind hunt its too srong yes.

Last edited by Torin; February 4th, 2012 at 05:24 PM..
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torin View Post
The "feature" you say its unintended by the devs. An accident. Besides i dont say its cheating. I say its lame. And if every nation has an aedge why those players cant play a random nation game??
Did you ever seen a player win with maenads? how those undead are superior units? Wrong examples. Acro mind hunt its too srong yes.
So your hypothesis is that the developers accidentally put in separate playing styles for every nation? Moreover, it is still a complete accident despite, for instance, drastic differences in nation specific spells, dominion effects, and of course troops? Really?

As for the various "cheap" strategies, every one of them has counters. Take Vanheim - domes pretty much close that strategy entirely. Take Arco - mindless commanders can just ignore Mind Hunt, and it isn't like there aren't assassination spells that can target Arco. Hordes of undead can be valuable, particularly high quality undead with generally better stats (Lanka, C'tis), etc.

As for people not playing random nation games, really learning how to use a nation well takes time. Moreover, some nations fit some people, and just won't fit others. EA Mictlan is incredibly powerful, that doesn't mean that I am any good with them. Just having an edge isn't enough, one has to know how to use it.
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

More importantly, one S3 mage automatically *feebleminds* all mindhunts directed at the province, S2 does so like 90% of the time, and S1 still hits ~half.

Anyway, there's a huge diversity of games at dom3mods, with tons of mod nation games, random nations, barebones nations with great sites, and so forth. Modding is still alive and well, and to pretend all games are the same necessarily suggests the claimant hasn't actually played much recently.

Gandalf, if you want to make claims about the dom3 community, you need to actually participate in it by *playing games*.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The "feature" you say its unintended by the devs. An accident.
Perhaps, but it seems it's one the devs were quite OK with - Glamour was specifically nerfed in one of the patches, without touching this aspect of it.

Quote:
Besides i dont say its cheating. I say its lame. And if every nation has an aedge why those players cant play a random nation game??
I don't see how the two concepts are linked in any way, shape or form. It's not that people want to play their pet strats or even win at any cost, it's that playing nations assigned to them at random holds little interest for most people.
Blood magic is very powerful, but having played one LA Mictlan game, I'm leery of playing with it again because the micro is insane. I couldn't play Bandar well to save my life. I have zero interest in Niefelheim. And so forth.

Quote:
Yes. Those undead are superior to the undead other nations can reanimate (if they even have that option). Arco mind hunts are counter-able. Everything is counterable.
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Anyway, there's a huge diversity of games at dom3mods, with tons of mod nation games, random nations, barebones nations with great sites, and so forth. Modding is still alive and well, and to pretend all games are the same necessarily suggests the claimant hasn't actually played much recently.

Gandalf, if you want to make claims about the dom3 community, you need to actually participate in it by *playing games*.
HAHAHA

First off, Id say that hosting many of the non-menued games would suffice in knowing what is being tried in that regard. Not nearly enough for my preference so, yes I agree with the original poster.

Secondly, you make assumptions that I dont play.

Thirdly, and most importantly for my laughter, you mention EXCELLENT game variations. Modded nations, random nations, barebones, and modding. Thank you for the wonderful examples of creative Dom3 games on the Dom3Mods forum (which are not on this forum). I could also list such variations on other forums (not on this forum). So are you suggesting that if the original poster wants to find some variation in the Dom3 games being played that he should maybe visit other Dom3 communities on other forums?
Thank you.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; February 5th, 2012 at 10:06 AM..
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
So your hypothesis is that the developers accidentally put in separate playing styles for every nation?
if you learn how to read you should read
Quote:
The "feature" you say its unintended by the devs.
Feature is singular (one) not EVERY feature the game has. That would be plural "all featureS"
As I said READ before you write.
"tongue is faster than the brain"

The point in Arco Mind hunt is that you dont care if your mage goes feebleminded. You just heal him/her while other mahe uses his/her items to continuely mind hunt everywhere. If you put 1 astral mage everywhere you are spending more than I am. And i can mind hunt other player. (maybe for a price, paid by the enemy of that player)
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
So your hypothesis is that the developers accidentally put in separate playing styles for every nation?
if you learn how to read you should read
Quote:
The "feature" you say its unintended by the devs.
Feature is singular (one) not EVERY feature the game has. That would be plural "all featureS"
As I said READ before you write.
The irony of this statement speaks for itself. Moreover, if your argument is predicated on a nation being cheap because they can do something other nations cannot do, and every nation has something like that - which they do - you cannot claim that that feature was unintended without the exact same logic putting forth the same conclusion for all nations.
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:15 PM

First Lieutenant

I was going to argue what you just said but you said before
Quote:
Take Vanheim - domes pretty much close that strategy entirely.
It shows teorize vs practice. I hope you luck building a lab in every province and casting a dome everywhere. Cheap strategy there. sorry.
I better stick to the old plan of retaking provinces vanheim just stole with a common commander and few troops vs the pd 1 he just left.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
What channel? None.
I think that all of the IRC channels tend to help new players by training them. Many months of fun and experimentation can be skipped that way.

Besides which, the best forums and channels are like gold mines. Its only best if you dont publicly announce where it is
Gandalf, there are times when I really don't understand you. You do not post links to forums and channels because helping people is robbing them of the fun of doing experiments? Why force people to reinvent the wheel all over again. Or worse, to hit local maxima, when there are higher peaks to be reached.

(Note, when I read this I got a strange feeling, it feels a bit like those new age religions, where people do not help you because you need to figure things out for yourself. Which has lead to hilarious stuff, like a important writer of one of these religions asking for a link to certain magical documents. Which was then refused by one of the newbies because he needed to discover things by himself, because he was not ready yet.)

For help go here:
irc.gamesurge.net #dominions (A bit silent as of late, as some oldtimers have seemed to quit the game, but still frequented by a few excellent players).

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx
This forum tends to be a bit more unfriendly than this one. So expect harsh language. When people think you are full of poo they will say so. Strangely, there are fewer flamewars on dom3mods.

These links also help a lot.
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html

However the wiki is based on vanilla only. Which can be confusing at times.

Edit:
I'm not a goon, but I do sometimes read the dom3 threads.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3411351
The intro threads are reasonably good. The rest of the threads can sometimes contain a lot of misinformation (For example, the myth that flyers need to make a morale check to attack rear if there are other units in the way. Sure there is a check, but it isn't a morale check). But anything thedemon says is usually golden . (But there are a lot more knowledgeable goons. And the mods they use tend to be of the more is more variety. While CBM is more about less is more, and some balance).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

Last edited by Soyweiser; February 6th, 2012 at 11:58 AM..
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Sorry Soy. But continual beating down here (and health concerns in real life) have drained the effervescent optimist community-support fanboi in me. I dont work here anymore and its unlikely to ever happen again so ptthhh!
I move on to join the ranks of those who went before me.

Feel free to take over. Appreciated.