Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM

Corporal

Akmatov is on a distinguished road
Default No Resolution Choices

I'm running the CD version updated to V7.0 on Win7 64 launching via the WinSPMBT Game Options. Everything seems to be working fine, except if I click on 800x600 to change the resolution the window freezes and no choices appears. When I go to Task Manager to close the window, I get this message:
"Access violation at address 00403367 in module 'GameOptions.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

Help please.

UPDATE
Just tried with my CD version of WinSPWW2 and the same thing is happening. Odd

Also, did a reinstall and with WinSPMBT v1.012-CD I have the same problem, although the resolution that I got for windowed by luck of the draw was different. Installed the Consoldation Patch and it changed my windowed resolution to 800x600 . Updated to v7.0 still 800x600 and still freezes when I try to change resolutions. Don't know if it matters but GDI is locked in and faded regardless of Game Mode.

Last edited by Akmatov; December 8th, 2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:04 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No Resolution Choices

Presumably this did not happen before, and now without any changes to the game by you, it is?.

My suspicion then would fall on something like the installation of a new video driver or you have installed a new monitor that does not like 800x600 mode (in full screen or windowed).

The other error vector might be a video card that is in the process of going tits-up for some reason, e.g. memory problems.

Try 'desktop' mode and see if that works?.

Andy

NB - Some monitors these days will baulk at 640x480 full screen mode, but 800x600 should be OK.
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Corporal

0. Update on bad behavior.
a. Uninstalled and reinstalled CD v1.012
b. Discovered problem not just with the Screen/Window Size (resolution), but also with Default Battle Pairing and Battle Date. Left clicking on any of these results in the WinSPMBT Game Options freezing. Not a new problem, just hadn't gotten down the list to check these.
c. Installing the WinSPMBTver6.0 Consolidation Patch, did not change this behavior.
d. Going into Short Cut Properties/Compatibility and setting compatibility to Windows XP SP3 did not change the behavior. Didn't expect a change, but tried it.
e. Have not tested as extensively but my CD copy of WinSPWW2 shows the same behavior.
f. Oddly enough, in CD v1.012 the resolution is ????x1024 (don't remember the first number) and in CD v6.0 it is 800x600.

1. Correct. Used to work and now doesn't without any changes to the game by me.

2. I doubt it is a monitor problem as I'm using the same monitor and it is displaying the game in 800x600 with no problem. That is not the problem. The problem is that that is the only resolution available without freezing the Options Screen.

3. There is a new video card. I replaced my NVidia 5xx with a NVidia 660. Card has 3 MB of memory vs 1 MB on the old card, so prob not a lack of memory.

4. "Try 'desktop' mode and see if that works?. " If that involves using the WinSPMBT Game Options Screen, ofc I can't as that is the basic problem. Is there some other way to set game resolution other than the Game Options Screen?

5. Once the Screen freezes, the only way to close it is with Windows Task Manager to End Task. Which gives me two popup:

Gameoptions
Access violation at address 00403173 in module 'GameOptions.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

End Program-Gameoptions
The system cannot end this program because it is waiting for a response from you.

Really hoping there is a fix as the WinSPxxx are huge favorites.

UPDATE
Was just looking around and was wondering if I can set default screen resolution in the WinSPMBT\GameDate\CamoGame.ini file? It looks like if I were to change the ScreenWidth=800 value to 1600, I would get 1600x1200, maybe. Hesitant to mess with it without guidance.

Last edited by Akmatov; December 10th, 2013 at 04:52 PM..
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM

Corporal

AMX is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's a Windows issue?
Try running chkdsk /f (to find file system errors) and sfc /scannow (to check the system files; may need a Windows install disk)
(Both can take quite long)
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:57 PM

It does seem to be some sort of problem with windows (or other aspects of your PC like hardware), and so a disk scan is a very good idea. Problems with the GameOptions launcher programme itself seem to suggest that as it is simply a regular Windows executable (no DirectX etc).

Also - I'll assume that you have installed the game and the patch(es) to the same folder outside of /program files/ as detailed in the windows 7 installation sticky thread?.

And yes - the INI file is editable. refer to the comments in the file in the appropriate section.

Andy
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:24 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Also - I'll assume that you have installed the game and the patch(es) to the same folder outside of /program files/ as detailed in the windows 7 installation sticky thread?.
Yes, I did.

Quote:
It does seem to be some sort of problem with windows (or other aspects of your PC like hardware), and so a disk scan is a very good idea. Problems with the GameOptions launcher programme itself seem to suggest that as it is simply a regular Windows executable (no DirectX etc)
Given that I've had zero problems with any other program, I have to suspect there is something unique to the WinSPMBT GameOptions launcher program that Win 7 now finds indigestable.

Quote:
And yes - the INI file is editable. refer to the comments in the file in the appropriate section.
Thx, already tried it and it works just fine. So probably not a driver and/or video card issue. Must say the .ini file was very nicely annotated and easy to understand. So with a bit of .ini tweaking life is good, thx for all the advice.
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmatov View Post
Quote:
Yes, I did.

Quote:
It does seem to be some sort of problem with windows (or other aspects of your PC like hardware), and so a disk scan is a very good idea. Problems with the GameOptions launcher programme itself seem to suggest that as it is simply a regular Windows executable (no DirectX etc)
Given that I've had zero problems with any other program, I have to suspect there is something unique to the WinSPMBT GameOptions launcher program that Win 7 now finds indigestable.

Quote:
Thx, already tried it and it works just fine. So probably not a driver and/or video card issue. Must say the .ini file was very nicely annotated and easy to understand. So with a bit of .ini tweaking life is good, thx for all the advice.
It runs perfectly well on my own windows 7 test machine.

One thing to check is your anti-virus though. I use Avast and that introduced something called "sandboxed" mode for programmes it seemed to take a dislike to a year or so back. The game options window was edged in red (1 pixel wide and not that easy to spot) and refused to work, till I went in and discovered this new feature and found out how to turn it off.

This "sandbox" mode of Avast! took me a while to find out about since it was not highlighted as something new to look out for as a new failure mode in the antivirus update itself, so I had to dig around in its help files etc.

(It probably thinks that a programme that launches another EXE while itself exiting, is suspicious behaviour?)

So - see what your A/V software is doing, if anything, in the background. It may surprise you.