BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old August 9th, 2015, 03:26 AM

Private

Gelainey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: windows 10 issue

I am another lucky Win7 user with an auto hide taskbar - no problems whatsoever in full screen mode
Old August 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Autohide IS NOT an issue when using fullscreen mode.....or at least it wasn't. I'm still not sure if it's an issue with windows 10 or not.

As we say in the game quide.....

Quote:

Before attempting to play the game in WINDOWED MODE first ensure that you do not, repeat DO NOT have your windows task bar set to "Auto-Hide" mode.
tlscales said......

Quote:
the game displays a strip about 1/3 the height of the screen,
that's the telltail autohide was on....in WINDOWED mode. At the time I thought he had said he didn't have trouble running the game with autohide on with windows 7 referring to windowed mode. I see now he was referring to fullscreen, as are you

Don
Old August 9th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

QUESTION FOR ANYONE RUNNING THE GAME IN WINDOWED/ DESKTOP MODE WITH WIN 10

Does the game fill your screen completly or is it a bit narrow ?

Don

Last edited by DRG; August 9th, 2015 at 09:02 AM..
Old August 9th, 2015, 08:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpsnake View Post
I just upgraded to the Windows 10 OS.

The game does not run smoothly on this OS. The scrolling is jerky and when you move units they move in 'spurts'. By that I mean, you click on a destination and the unit moves a few hexes, stops, moves some more, then moves the rest of the way. The fire routines are the same as if it's taking awhile to execute the code.

The game doesn't crash or fail; it just seems like the needed resources to run smoothly are being gobbled up by the Windows 10 OS.

Anyone else see this? Any work around to free up resources in the game or in the OS? It's very frustrating.

Just like Microsoft to sacrifice our memory to run their 'overhead' background crap. I've tried minimizing ALL the startup extras but it still gobbles up so much memory. Looking at the task manager, it looks like Win 10 uses 30% of my 6GB memory to run it's stuff. What's running in the background seems twice what Win 7 used. So many new routines I don't know. No, I'm not plagued with any virus stuff or malware, I checked.

Wave of the future? IS there a work around or do future machines need way more memory to run Win 10?

Thoughts?

OK I loaded up an old save game with a lot of units and ran it fullscreen and I saw what you mean by......."does not run smoothly on this OS. The scrolling is jerky and when you move units they move in 'spurts'"

Check your scroll , graphics delay and movement delay in MISC. Reducing those values will go a long way to help alleviate the problems described above when using Win10 in fullscreen mode but if you do lower them ( to zero if need be ) you WILL find things a bit too zippy in windowed mode. When you reduce those delays in fullscreen mode there may still be a bit of hesitation during a long move but it is greatly reduced

As well right clicking on the start Icon in the lower left corner then clicking on "System" and then Advanced System settings/Performance to "adjust for best performance" might help as well ( I have not fully tested that ) but it will reduce some of the little things that use memory in win10 and may have a performance impact when running the game

Don

Last edited by DRG; August 9th, 2015 at 09:27 AM..
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Private

gdpsnake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
QUESTION FOR ANYONE RUNNING THE GAME IN WINDOWED/ DESKTOP MODE WITH WIN 10

Does the game fill your screen completely or is it a bit narrow ?

Don
Don,
My game is narrow under 'windowed' with win 10 which messes with the mouse scrolling ability as the game seems to have a problem determining when you are 'at the edge' with the mouse to scroll.
Also, the mouse has a problem scrolling down with the task bar present at the bottom with auto hide on or off.

BTW, the narrow edge appears about 1/4 inch on my monitor on both sides.

I shall fiddle with the settings and game options to see if I can play again under full screen versus windowed.

UPDATE: I fiddled with everything. Full screen mode with any settings, even zero, still runs jerky. The scroll via mouse or keyboard is the same jerky motion. Fiddling with win 10 resources made no difference.

Windowed mode runs well; however, the window is about 1/4 inch shy on all four sides from the screen with desktop resolution selected. This messes up the mouse scrolling but keyboard scrolling works just fine. The taskbar is also annoying but I can live with it for now.

Last edited by gdpsnake; August 9th, 2015 at 01:06 PM..
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

What resolution is your screen? - the windows have to be a certain power of 2, as we learned when 1366 wide screens came out for cheap laptops (like my Dell one). I think they had also to be a multiple of 4 pixels, too.

One thing that will affect that is the size of the borders your desktop "theme" uses, so it is worth experimenting a bit to see if some scheme gives you thinner window margins. (The one I use in windows 8 is a bit "fat", and so leaves a 2 pixel unused zone. It also has a large title bar.)

Scrolling - experiment with the scroll width setting in yhe game options launcher programme misc screen. You need to have one large enough to allow for the task bar, but not so wide that hovering over the right hand edge of the right roe of buttons will trigger scrolling. I use a scroll sensitivity size of 25 pixels, scroll speed 30, on my 1920x1080 monitor.

Also, train yourself to hover the mouse just inside the window edge to trigger mouse scrolling, rather than just "ramming it to the edge" as with full screen mode. I trained myself to do that several years ago, and it was not too hard to get used to!
Old August 9th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Corporal

Wiking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Taskbar Autohide worked with the game in win7 for you ?? That's a first. I'm not aware of anyone else being that lucky

Don
I'm still on Windows 7 64-bit for the moment, and I have to say I've always had Taskbar autohide enabled, ever since Windows 95. WINSP never suffered slowdowns as a result of this in my experience, so I was frankly puzzled when I saw all the notices warning me not to and then nothing untoward happened. I just assumed it was bad experiences with a handful of users and never thought twice about it.

I should note I always have run the game in windowed mode. It was a real relief after the eye-gouging that is trying to play the "other" SP in fullscreen only. Don't know how those guys do it.
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Private

gdpsnake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
What resolution is your screen? - the windows have to be a certain power of 2, as we learned when 1366 wide screens came out for cheap laptops (like my Dell one). I think they had also to be a multiple of 4 pixels, too.

One thing that will affect that is the size of the borders your desktop "theme" uses, so it is worth experimenting a bit to see if some scheme gives you thinner window margins. (The one I use in windows 8 is a bit "fat", and so leaves a 2 pixel unused zone. It also has a large title bar.)

Scrolling - experiment with the scroll width setting in yhe game options launcher programme misc screen. You need to have one large enough to allow for the task bar, but not so wide that hovering over the right hand edge of the right roe of buttons will trigger scrolling. I use a scroll sensitivity size of 25 pixels, scroll speed 30, on my 1920x1080 monitor.

Also, train yourself to hover the mouse just inside the window edge to trigger mouse scrolling, rather than just "ramming it to the edge" as with full screen mode. I trained myself to do that several years ago, and it was not too hard to get used to!
Mobhack,

My screen resolution is 1920X1080 same as my monitor setting.

My desktop theme is 'fill.' So my chosen pictures fill the entire screen - no borders I can see.

I played with the scroll setting earlier. All that does is speed up or slow down the speed of the scroll in between the jerks. In other words, slow scroll gives slow move; stop; slow move; stop....Fast scroll gives fast move; stop; fast move; stop....The jerky pause time was unaffected.

Training? LOL. I'm a 'rammer' from way back and lack the patience to fine tune it.
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:27 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I have no idea then what's up with your setup.

As a last gasp - try turning your sound off,
- in the game options launcher misc tab, set the mouse interface interface click off
- in the game preferences screen, turn both of the sounds off (Battle FX and Sound FX).

Why? - well some users have reported that having sound on makes unit movement and firing animations jerky. Seems to be a sound card related issue. Worth a try to see if that is what is affecting you.
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The thin borders in windows 10 seem to be a "feature" of the OS

8.1 is on the left.... as yet I have no idea if this is "adjustable" or not but it IS the difference between the game window filling the screen and not quite filling the screen

it would be nice if MS could actually improve something WITHOUT screwing something else up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.png
Views:	449
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	13872