This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Hostility in Forums

No, itīs not in the shrapnelforums... But in another one...

I registered in a forum about a game i like to play, with the objective of asking some members there about modding the game a little...

My question was very simple, i asked if it was possible to mod the single-player campaign of the game to add more missions... i had already read several posts in the forum and saw some people modding the missions themselves and was curious if it was possible to add more missions to the campaign...

To my surprise one of the Admins of the forum replied to my post saying: "It's probably safe to say it's out of your league, so just forget about it"...

I ignored the post (i donīt see the point in flame wars), but other member of the forum asked the admin why he was so hostile, and the admin replied that "I can tell by his post that he doesn't have what it takes."

Happily other forum members, while unable to answer if my modding objective was possible or not, indicated ways and files i should try to read and edit, even offering to help me if i could discover something in the way of what i wanted...

Now i question, if someone is an admin of a forum, should it not be he/her responsible to create an amiable ambient to the forum? I continue to ignore the flame war that was initiated in my behalf, as i already got the answer and help i asked for, but i find very sad that an admin that donīt know me (it was my first post), in answer to a perfect valid question starts by trying to offend myself...

I just hope that the said admin didnīt ban myself from the forum because of the flame war that was initiated... as i said iīm ignoring it and focusing in the technical question i asked, but iīm afraid that an admin that insults people without any reason could also ban forum members without any reason too...

Sorry about the rant people, i just wanted to share this experience, that i found very sad and puzzling...
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: Hostility in Forums

Oh well i guess the admin was pretty stupid. People with an attitude like that should NOT become admins. Someone did broke #1 rule.
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

He wasn't reacting to you, Makinus. The Admin was stuck in his own head and reacting to whatever was going on in there. He "knew" the model he imagined of you was a certain way, but he didn't realize his model for you was way off. His problem, and yes you're right it'd be totally messed up if all admins did that all the time.

PvK
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Welcom 2 teh internets!

Sadly, far too many forums are flamy and hostile.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

IMO, the best response to something like that would be:

"Your cities will burn with vengful fire!"
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Well obviously he knew far more about all matters pertaining to the game than you. I mean, he was a forum admin! They don't just let anyone be a forum admin, you know. One must have played the game in question since beta at least, if not earlier, spend a majority of their time playing the game exploring every single facet of the game to gain an incomparable understanding of every possible way of doing everything in the game. A forum admin must have done everything there is to do in a game in every possible way, so that when they tell you the best way of doing something, you know it really is the very best, and only, way to do it.

A forum admin is also required to have a Masters degree in Psychology at least, so he can determine your exact psychological and mental capabilities by simply reading a few sentences, though a PhD to go along with his PhDs in Computer Science, Economics, Politics and Theology is preferable. A membership in Mensa is obviously a requirement, as well as a nymphomanic supermodel wife (who incidentally will also be a member of Mensa with several PhDs to her name, despite never leaving the bedroom for longer than it takes to eat and bathe).

Truly, forum admins are gods amongst men, and you should feel eternally grateful that one of these demi-gods was willing to sully himself by lowering himself to your level long enough to dignify your question with a response.

Throwing in a /sarcasm, just in case.
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Why, sarcasm? I never would have guessed!

* That was sarcasm.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I made a mod once. I asked for advice and was told that for what I wanted it would take a lot of work but no one out and out told me it would be too hard for me. Of course enthusiastic to get it done I didn't realise how hard it was going to end up but I eventually got a working version done. It needed some polishing but by that stage I'd done enough. I've had enough of modding since then, what with having to allocate every part of the earth to nations, then creating characters, units, and events.
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

from his/its response to you, I would theorize that just possibly.. he didn't know the answer Some admins in some forums, have the brain power of a pea, but to their own mind their mind is the size of Anartica.. so you see, one should not take their incoherent babble to heart. Since they are more then likely lower then road kill left overs to begin with. his/its answer to your inquiry just confirmed what everyone else on that forum already knew. That his knowledge of whatever game you were talking about, was beyond his/its own scope of brain activity. Its just elementary my dear watson. (he's probably a member of the game company anyway

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:21 AM

Corporal

StarJack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
bearclaw said:
IMO, the best response to something like that would be:

"Your cities will burn with vengful fire!"
That's too funny!