.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire", veterans-only game, MA. In progress, midgame...

How does a level 3 S mage beat a natural 5 S mage in a magic duel? How? Well, so it goes. That was a humiliating battle at my cap Dimaz, mostly because of that one die roll.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire", veterans-only game, MA. In progress, midgame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I wanted to kill him the last time, but those Tartaian bastards have a tendency of getting crazy when they are most needed.
Good thinking on changing the battle orders.
And I hoped Id kill the Asynja too, but that was a long shot, I'll have to deal with that thing another time.

So, it looks like you are ready to make your last stand at your capital?
Indeed it seems that few other choices remain, between the mind hunting and teleporting tarts it's just not safe to go out doors anymore.
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
How does a level 3 S mage beat a natural 5 S mage in a magic duel? How? Well, so it goes. That was a humiliating battle at my cap Dimaz, mostly because of that one die roll.
Actually it happens all the time. It takes +6 difference in levels of astral magic to guarantee 100% win in Magic dual. Losing with +2 diff is unlucky but not rare by any means. It's like losing in a RL game of dice while throwing a regular 6-sided dice and losing to your opponent with 2 or larger difference in has favor, like 1 vs 3+, or 2 vs 4+, et cetera. I am too lazy to calculate the exact probabilities, but in your case I would say you had approximately 1 out of 4 chance of losing that magic duel, and you have drawn an unlucky number.

Sorry about your bad luck Lingchih.
Old November 13th, 2010, 03:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

Building important battle strategy on the result of single MD success without bottle backup is a very very bad idea. Still I don't see how different result of that md could've changed the battle flow.
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
Building important battle strategy on the result of single MD success without bottle backup is a very very bad idea. Still I don't see how different result of that md could've changed the battle flow.
It wouldn't have changed the battle result, but it might have let my Tart live to fight another day. You also killed another S mage higher than yours in that same battle, also in magic duel. Losing two rolls in the same fight... it seems the god of dominions is against me.

Old November 14th, 2010, 12:46 AM

General

OK. Quite a sendoff for my last Dominions game. I had hoped to do better, but Dimaz is obviously a better player. I had hoped for a feeling of "hey, it's Ling's last game. Let him win one for once". But, most any players who might have felt that have quit playing the game, and my allies in this one were not old friends.

Still though, I can't claim that I was wronged. I chose to fight Van, and Van kicked my butt. Kudos to Dimaz. Enjoy holding Vanheim South, while you can. I guess you will be next killed after me.

And, to all the remaining Dominions players, have fun!. It's still a great game.

PS: Pythium, our NAP still holds. Don't go jumping me without a declaration.

Old November 15th, 2010, 03:00 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
OK. Quite a sendoff for my last Dominions game. I had hoped to do better, but Dimaz is obviously a better player. I had hoped for a feeling of "hey, it's Ling's last game. Let him win one for once". But, most any players who might have felt that have quit playing the game, and my allies in this one were not old friends.

Still though, I can't claim that I was wronged. I chose to fight Van, and Van kicked my butt. Kudos to Dimaz. Enjoy holding Vanheim South, while you can. I guess you will be next killed after me.

And, to all the remaining Dominions players, have fun!. It's still a great game.

PS: Pythium, our NAP still holds. Don't go jumping me without a declaration.
Of course. I always honor my NAPs, have never broken my word in any of my Dom2&3 games over the years.
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

Lingchih, it seems we both had our revenge done this turn Now we both have government in exile...
Jotun, our government in exile will fight back.
Corwin, you finally suppressed that resistance group I needed one more turn to make it a bit harder for you
The best thing about it is that turns require 10 minutes to complete now. What a bliss.
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Corwin, I believe you just declared war on me.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:54 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
Lingchih, it seems we both had our revenge done this turn Now we both have government in exile...
Jotun, our government in exile will fight back.
Corwin, you finally suppressed that resistance group I needed one more turn to make it a bit harder for you
The best thing about it is that turns require 10 minutes to complete now. What a bliss.
Amen to that brother. My turns take at most an hour now, not the dreaded six hours.