This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old August 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Sergeant

Wolfman77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas Prices

As fuel prices go up companies will pass the extra cost on to others. It's already happening. The place I work spends $10,000 a year to rent a water purifier that needs replacing every 3 months. Our new invoice has a $5 "fuel surcharge" at the bottom. Not a large amount but it is just one piece of equipment, and as prices rise, more companies will do this, and for larger amounts. In the end it will all be passed on to the consumer, as with everything else. I do not, however, believe it will mean the end of the world. That is just someone trying to scare people into beliving what he believes, And since most people are quite suggestible (even more so when they are scared), it works.

In the end you will pay more. And you will learn to like it
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050616A4014.html

DVD-Rs, like every other plastic product, has got pricier to make because the raw material, oil, cost more to buy. For most products the actual cost of the plastic is such a tiny proprtion of the total cost, the price doesn't get passed on.

However the CD/DVD makers have been in a vicious(ish) price war, hence the dirt cheap prices. So oil rises is just an excuse to push up prices and start making money not breaking even.

Xrati, Refinery capacity would be OK, but for that Texan oil refinery blowing up. That and all the refinerys have been running flat out for so long they're starting to break down. The US may have no plans for new refinerys, I don't honestly know, but other countries certainly do.
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
"When you want people to stop using something, just tax the hell out of it." - Unknown Democrate Senator.
I assume you made this up? I just can't figure out how you'd know it's a democratic senator, yet not know the name of whoever supposedly said it...

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

It was a quote used in a convention confrence held in Portland back in the early 90's. I was in attendance. It was meant as a joke, but has proven to be the truth as the democrats have demostrated time and time again. This behavior cannot be disputed. They have talked about using taxes as a means to regulate the use of something, and most recently talked about adding a significant gas tax in order to force people out of driving. And all because I do not recall the mans name does not mean that I shouldn't recall what he said.
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

Yesterday when I filled up my car, the price of gas was $1.095 per liter, the highest I have ever paid. If gas price keeps going up, I'll consider buying a hybrid vehicle. But when I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago, the price of gas was more than twice as expensive there.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Major

In the UK the price of petrol is all tax, well as near all as makes no odds. On the other hand the mpg of the worst car you can buy is better than the average of Detroit's finest.

There's probably a connection.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Plastics are also made from petroleum. And bubble gum.

Im abit irritated that Bush is going to allow oil drilling in so many preserves. Its short-range tactical. Besides the fact that I hate opening preserves to lumbering/drilling/mining.. I also think that we should use up everyone elses oil at any price, and then be the last ones to have any.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Major

Dangerous talk there matey.

A. Wildlife preserves, so what? 95% maybe more of Alaska will continue to be an empty depressing tundra. The other 4% will continue to be moose filled slightly less depressing tundra leaving 1% that will be drilled for oil for a few years, then returned to being depressing tundra with/without mooses.

B. To even think about getting a mining licence you have to promise on your first born child to make the area significantly better when you leave than when you found it. How on earth you make Alaska better I have no idea, intensive moose breeding perhaps?

C. On the contrary I think the US should use up all it's own oil first. It might stop you using oil-fired power and make you stop buying pickups.
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If US manufactures produced cars that did miles per gallon, not gallons per mile that would solve alot of the problem.

That doesn't even make any sense... all cars do both gallons per mile and miles per gallon. They are just inverse ratios of each other...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Major

Nope look at the words. Miles per gallon, as in more than one mile per gallon of fuel. Gallons per mile is more than one gallon needed to do a single mile.

So if a car did 0.5 a mile per gallon it would be 2 gallons per mile. Notice the 's' placements.