.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boot Camp - Newbie intro to Dominions MP - Full, design pretenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
But EGD does make Jotun, or other giant nations, a bit weaker. The grendelkin kills any normal giant in one hit.
The grendelkin is certainly a tank but keep in mind that giant nations can summon SCs like any other nation - they aren't limited to their recruitable ones. You can have your own grendelkin (summoned by indies, spectres or even your pretender). Then too, this is later in the game that those summons become available. And I'd still argue Jotun, in particular, is in a good position. Skratti can dish out tremendous damage, even more so if they can use a damage multiplying weapon like a herald lance (they can't against grendelkin, which is a big reason they are so tough). And then there's the always popular "attack one turn, cast Claws of Kokytos" script.

Quote:
And Jotun has some problems in the endgame. (At least that is what I think, only good access to blood, no high death, nor high astral). Armageddon spam kinda ruins the nation. (as do utterdark and BoT of course).
Those are valid points but I'd say much of a nation's endgame strength is based on what they did earlier in the game and that eventually everyone's endgame starts looking similar.

But I do agree with you that having decent astral on your pretender is important. I've had good results with a sleeping enchantress. As an aside, expansion is a breeze with just couple of light blesses (F, E, N come to mind) on Jotun's sacreds.

Quote:
And thanks for the large intro post too , it is very helpful.
That's good to hear. When I was writing it I was wondering if it was just because I liked to hear myself "talking."