.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM

Private

Awund is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gluttony - LA Game - Running

I've staled as well the last turn, so of course I wouldn't mind a rollback. However I knew the when the deadline was, so the stall really was my own fault. As such I'm fine either way, if we continue it's ok for me too.
Finalgenesis: You've been playing really good, so it'd be a shame if you left this game. I really hope my recent actions had nothing to do with that.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

Awund, while your hit really hurt (applause ! Though I still suspect a puppet master ) I would never bail out from losing and always fight to the last to the point when I can make no difference as an AI. I do derive some small bit of satisfaction from exacting a price from my malefactors.

The problem is I can make good on my commitment against humans, but when its the server kicking your @$$, there's nothing I can do, no matter how good I do and what plans I have in progress, the server can (and did, and probably will continue to) screw me at any time. I can handle it once, but now that it's shown itself to be a persistent problem there's no point in playing this game against the server. This stale KILLED me (I don't even have to look at my turn), and it just pisses me off when I'm on the ball checking server time, doing diplo, planning, grand plans half in motion and generally playing a decent game, then get ****** by the server, again, with more to come down the line. It's like playing chess with a lunatic, who throws the rules out the window and shoves it's king up your *** while screaming "CHECKMATE! CHECKMATE!" (pardon my analogy).

Luckily the timer issue is just for this game (I have no timer problem on the other games), so I figure I can just drop this bugged game and cross my fingers it won't happen to my others.

I appreciate the free server llamabeast provides and am impressed how stable it is. Inevitably these little hiccup happens (that's why it's called bugs, impossible to exterminate ), this hiccup in particular makes this specific game frustrating for me.

I realize I could keep track of the hosting interval myself, and I may have to go with that here if I continue (and sometimes I forget the last hosting time, or not sure when exactly it was hosted...). I rely on the timer at llamaserver and I really do use most/all of the time available planning diplo and planning moves (I have a gemflow forecast and spreadsheet for Gluttony for god's sake). Thus having a bad timer is a killer on me. You could say I'm whining and probably be half right, but the fact is a bad timer makes it hard for me to play and supremely frustrating given the effort I put in.

I did pm llamabeast about it, hopefully he can pinpoint what the problem is. If this problem can be fixed I'd that'd be great, I have no qualm getting my behind handed to me by humans, just not the server.

I didn't consider rollback actually, as it seems by general consensus to be a bad idea from what I read from the vets. I'm not sure what problem can come from rollback, so do tell if anyone knows... But if everyone is good with it though I definitely would want it to be honest. Meanwhile I'll see what luck I have in fixing the server timer (maybe impose on one of you to post server host time you see in forum? As it sometimes don't show up right for me).
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM

Captain

sansanjuan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
Awund, while your hit really hurt
I didn't consider rollback actually, as it seems by general consensus to be a bad idea from what I read from the vets. I'm not sure what problem can come from rollback, so do tell if anyone knows... But if everyone is good with it though I definitely would want it to be honest. Meanwhile I'll see what luck I have in fixing the server timer (maybe impose on one of you to post server host time you see in forum? As it sometimes don't show up right for me).
If I recall rollback issues can sometimes manifest due to unit ids somehow getting out of synch. I've been through one rollback with no issues many moons ago. Perhaps llamabeast might comment. I will PM him and ask if he might comment.
-ssj

"I yam what I yam" - Popeye
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM

First Lieutenant

Hope he replies soon, I really wouldn't mind a rollback if it doesn't cause any problems.
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Captain

Quote:
Hope he replies soon, I really wouldn't mind a rollback if it doesn't cause any problems.
No word from Llama so I posted in the main thread. If we still don't get any direction I say we give it a go. I did see the turn but will submit the same assuming that others that did not stale will do the same.

-ssj

Old January 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Corporal

Mauxe is on a distinguished road

I'll submit the same.
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Captain

Hmmm. Many of the wise strongly warn against it.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46966

FinalG- Is there another form of compensation we could arrange for your lost turn? A cease fire for a couple turns and some gold/gems? Let us know.

-ssj

PS Can you extend this turn 24 hrs?

The Following User Says Thank You to sansanjuan For This Useful Post:
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Private

Otherling is on a distinguished road

I've extended things another 24 hours while we work this out. I have no objections to a rollback, assuming that's workable. What do we need here?
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM

First Lieutenant

It's okay, I'm not looking for compensation. It seems from replies in your thread that I can't get a rollback without the risk of ruining it for someone/everyone, I'm satisfied with the verdict, thanks for your efforts sanj! It's just not meant to be.

Should I look for a sub or are we okay with me turning AI? If AI I'll use 1 turn to pay back (or try to) what I owe before going AI, I won't be do anything with the turn except send out gems/items, so feel free to pick over the lean carcass and grab some freebie provs.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bailing out here, I am more then happy to fight a doomed war to the bitter end and get some good bruises from human players (and hopefully give some), whereas putting time + effort into a game that stales me out of the blue (twice) due to a bug is too painful to put up with and continue investing efforts into, I hope everyone understands. I suppose now that I'm aware of the timer bug for this game I can compensate in various ways to prevent future server screws if I stayed, but the damage has already been done and I can't find the will to pick up the pieces for a second time.

Edit: no reply from llama regarding the timer issue yet, but anyway it should no longer be one once I'm out of this game.

Last edited by Finalgenesis; January 25th, 2011 at 09:42 AM..
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Captain

Quote:
It's okay, I'm not looking for compensation. It seems from replies in your thread that I can't get a rollback without the risk of ruining it for someone/everyone, I'm satisfied with the verdict, thanks for your efforts sanj! It's just not meant to be.

Should I look for a sub or are we okay with me turning AI? If AI I'll use 1 turn to pay back (or try to) what I owe before going AI, I won't be do anything with the turn except send out gems/items, so feel free to pick over the lean carcass and grab some freebie provs.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bailing out here, I am more then happy to fight a doomed war to the bitter end and get some good bruises from human players (and hopefully give some), whereas putting time + effort into a game that stales me out of the blue (twice) due to a bug is too painful to put up with and continue investing efforts into, I hope everyone understands. I suppose now that I'm aware of the timer bug for this game I can compensate in various ways to prevent future server screws if I stayed, but the damage has already been done and I can't find the will to pick up the pieces for a second time.

Edit: no reply from llama regarding the timer issue yet, but anyway it should no longer be one once I'm out of this game.
Best wishes then FinalG. I'm not in to spankings but I greatly enjoyed your cunning mischief. Also, mightly Volt is a still living legend. With the Aegis.. well... nuff said. (though Bob the Vastness is far more dear to me and Agartha looks forward to his return from the void with sweaty palms and palpitating hearts).
-ssj