The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 4th, 2001, 12:02 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road
Default \"Allegiance Subverter\" for master computer ?

I like the allegiance converter of the psychic weapons a lot. It is much better than boarding for the capture of an enemy ship. Unfortunately it is quite easy for human players to get immun by using master computers. If MM could create a similar weapon that can convert a master computer (sort of computer virus but not like the destructing one already present) the AI would have a powerful weapon against human players.
And for us it would be an interesting choice if we use the master computer or keep the crew!
Old April 4th, 2001, 12:52 PM

Corporal

Magus38 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"Allegiance Subverter\" for master computer ?

I have to say I disagree. As it stands each option, master computer or live crew, has one major vulnerability. Adding an alliegance subverter for master computers would, I think, be overpowering for those races with the psychic special ability and would be unbalancing in general as using a master computer at all would be less of an intelligent choice (i.e. 2 vulnerabilities to 1, the ratio vs. live crew).
Going along with the conditions of the world, without hindrance. Conditions of the world going along with conditions of the world, going along is a condition of the world when going along - this is called without hindrance.
Old April 4th, 2001, 02:08 PM

Captain

Tampa_Gamer is on a distinguished road

Yup, hence the use of "Computer Virus"
Old April 4th, 2001, 02:13 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Dirk:
Yes, if the master computer is destroyed the whole ship is disabled and you can get it :-)

When you say 'disabled', do you mean TOTALLY disabled? ..as in no movement points, no weapons firing, etc.? I seem to remember having a ship without an MC (or Bridge, Crew Q's and Life Supt) and still having 1 movement point. (or maybe I'm not remembering something right).
Old April 4th, 2001, 06:13 PM

Colonel

quote:
Originally posted by Dirk:
Yes, if the master computer is destroyed the whole ship is disabled and you can get it :-)

Well I really did not think of that but you are perfectly right!! I always believed that the Allegiance Subverter works only on ships with crews, but really it does not work only on ships with a intact master computer and that's a big difference. And it gives the psychic trait a very interesting appeal for AI empires!
Under this circumstances I withdraw my idea as unnecessary. Thank you very much for this information.
Old April 4th, 2001, 06:16 PM

Colonel

quote:
Originally posted by rdouglass:
When you say 'disabled', do you mean TOTALLY disabled? ..as in no movement points, no weapons firing, etc.? I seem to remember having a ship without an MC (or Bridge, Crew Q's and Life Supt) and still having 1 movement point. (or maybe I'm not remembering something right).

The movement is reduced to 1 but weapons still function normal as far as I can tell.
Old April 4th, 2001, 10:47 PM

Private

Str8_Gain is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Q:
If MM could create a similar weapon that can convert a master computer (sort of computer virus but not like the destructing one already present) the AI would have a powerful weapon against human players.

Unfortunately, the current Abilities.txt has no line for that. I suggested something like this to MM concerning making a new racial trait for sentient machines. One of the things they'd have at their disposal is a component that allows them to subvert only Master Computers. They'd also have Anti-Virus components to counteract Computer Virus, since they wouldn't be able to use the conventional bridge/crew-quarters/lifesupport trio for ship control.

This way, a Psychic race couldn't get Alliegance Subverter and a Master Computer Subverter, unless they acquired an intact ship somehow (mabye through trade, or conquering that empire). The reverse also applies in the other direction (ie. mech races can't use Psychics' Alliegance Subverters).

What this would do is force a player to very carefully consider the ships they're pitting against each AI. You'd have to maintain one fleet with MCs to counter the Psychics, and another fleet with B/CQ/LS to counter the mechs, or at least be able to retrofit based on which enemy AI you're facing.

This could also open up additional trade opportunities. Mabye a Psychic/mech race can sell a weaker "export" Version of their subverter ship to other races not blessed with their racial trait.

Old April 5th, 2001, 01:26 AM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

Can't you use the allegiance subverter on a ship after the master computer is destroyed?
Old April 5th, 2001, 01:58 AM

Private

Dirk is on a distinguished road

Old April 5th, 2001, 08:25 AM

Private

Dirk is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Q:
Well I really did not think of that but you are perfectly right!! I always believed that the Allegiance Subverter works only on ships with crews, but really it does not work only on ships with a intact master computer and that's a big difference. And it gives the psychic trait a very interesting appeal for AI empires!
Under this circumstances I withdraw my idea as unnecessary. Thank you very much for this information.

Last night i have checked my statement. If you destroy the master computer you can take the ship with the Allegiance Subverter. And a Ship without master computer, bridge and crew quarter will move only one square per round.