.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM

Private

Arnie L. is on a distinguished road
Question Campaigns

I'm a noob to this forum but have played this game on and off since the first steel panthers came out. I was wondering if there was a site that has ready made campaigns to add to the game.I don't have much time to make my own these days. I don't see any here in this forum.
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Corporal

halstein is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Campaigns

Hi.
Some of the per-packed campaigns was made by players, and got added in newer versions. Also there is the campaign generator and long campaign that can be used, if you don't want to make a custom made campaign.

Halstein.
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

User campaigns are non-trivial things to make and maintain. So obviously there will be fewer of them.

As said, most players will tend to play the WW2 long campaign for a nation that is featured on such (WW2) or in a generated campaign for other sides (MBT and WW2).

The generated battle locations for most nations have much more variety than the original game now (original one usually was limited to one specific batloc per month, and one generic location for all times for some minor nations in fact).

e.g - WW2 - we have added detailed batlocs for the Spanish Azul division in Russia for the appropriate time frame. Also Romania has more detailed ones for it's WW2 time frame now. Both of those tended to be generic "USSR" batlocs before. Same with ANZAC especially in regards to locations versus Japan, Poland against Germany in the 39 time frame and so on.

The AI picks for various batlocs have also been redone, e.g. you may find Russians using the factory militias and STZ T34s straight off the production line in Stalingrad, the Canadians tend to find the German AI using the SS formations against them (as they did). Allies meet the FJ units at Cassino more often.

The battle locations generation code, and the force selections, are simply huge compared to the original game. That really only generated the one location per month for a few key players as stated above from a simple look-up table and made no attempt to tailor the force structure. We use a more complex code-based and date-based solution, and so at various dates you will now often find several different locations offered if you retry a new map in the pre-game set-up (using the view map screen and the options presented there to re-spin the map several times).

So I would suggest giving the generated long campaign a go. Try setting up for say a year and the historical opponents for that, and allow perhaps a battle a month. That gives you a 10 battle or so mini campaign which is much less intensive than trying a 60 battle whole of WW2 LC. Poland v Germany (AI) in 1939 might be a nice little campaign with 10 battles in a month or so.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Private

Thanks for the info guys, I have used the campaign generator and it can be fun when you set it up right.Was just wondering if there might be a site that has a bunch I could add. I guess I'll have to make my own if I want new custom campaigns. I notice with the generator and long campaign that if you are Germany it doesn't let you choose to fight in France. That is kind of a bummer.
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

In a long campaign,you may have options on which theater "historically",you can and may want to switch to,and France should certainly be an option i would think.

If useing the campaign generator,it's more localize on the sides and front you wish to play against,there's the difference.

Last edited by gila; December 28th, 2011 at 06:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gila For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Yes, the game WILL allow the Germans to fight in France with the LC.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Every time, in a Ger LC it's very probale
The Following User Says Thank You to gila For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Private

You're right... I don't ever remember it letting me fight the French before but I just tried it and my first battle was against them.
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:06 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

In a long campaign in Germany you can fight against Dutch and Belgians too. It all depends on how many battles you fight. You can try starting several campaigns with different number of battles.
Old December 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

It depends on random numbers really - statistics in other words.

The possible opponent for the low countries phase of the GE LC is determined by random chance.

Therefore the longer your German LC in number of battles the more battles in the Low Countries and France 40 so the more chance of seeing the minor players (who have a lower chance than the French and British of being chosen).

Poland 39 is artificially "stretched" so there are at least 1 battle occurs there (otherwise a whole war LC with few battles might simply skip over the time frame since it was so short c/f the entire war). The LC also fast forwards over the phony war period till something happens on the ground (Norway campaign usually, though it can skip that and start right in the invasion of the Low Countries as Norway is a blip in time).

Also, the more potential battles in France 40 phase then the greater the chance of the river crossing assault at Sedan or Dinant(?) battle event happening for you. (One of the very few river crossing battles programmed into the LC).

Andy