.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:41 AM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestion: human/merfolk hosts for immobile pretenders

Descriptions for all immobile pretenders say that they can possess willing targets for tasks such as forging and spellcasting; do these willing targets have to cut their hands off?
If not, why cant they use dwarven hammers?

This is not a balance suggestion; in my book, immortal pretenders are just fine at the moment. More of a flavour one: I'd just love to see Tenar and the Nameless Ones theme in Dominions (Ursula Le Guin classics).
Mechanically, it can be done by adding a special command to the immobile pretenders - possess. Afterwards, pretender loses all magical powers and Host is created: an immortal girl (blind in case of an Oracle) with the same magical paths, standard human slots and total inability to leave home province, not even by teleportation.

I doubt it can be done by modding, though, but ... maybe in future patches? Or maybe not - just wanted to share an idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kuritza For This Useful Post:
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestion: human/merfolk hosts for immobile pretenders

The nameless could be as an "eternal priestess". Immortal, immobile death/blood/holy with high dominion. Then you could put the nameless and maze etc. in the description. Name her "the eaten" and you´re set.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuritza View Post

I doubt it can be done by modding, though, but ... maybe in future patches? Or maybe not - just wanted to share an idea.
It can be done quite easily, as long as you don't mind the command being 'change shape'.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
Quote:

It can be done quite easily, as long as you don't mind the command being 'change shape'.
I thought about it - but its feels wrong. The girl should be immortal, as in 'new girl will be found' etc. Immobile pretenders, on the other hand, arent immortal.

We can just screw the immortal theme though... its will cause balance problems anyway, under astral corruption for example. Horrors? Who cares! Wish!

If the girl is destroyed somehow - maybe it backfires on the Oracle who possessed her anyway, leaving a dead, uninhabited fountain, and calling a God more or less equals these searches for a new Nameless priestess in this case.
Maybe. After all, its not a true immortality anyway; its being able to come back when called by your worshippers. Or found in the body of a newborn girl.

P.S.

If there was some way to make it impossible to change shape outside your capitol...
The nameless priestess shouldnt be able to leave capitol, I think. By any means.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
Quote:

I thought about it - but its feels wrong. The girl should be immortal, as in 'new girl will be found' etc. Immobile pretenders, on the other hand, arent immortal.

We can just screw the immortal theme though... its will cause balance problems anyway, under astral corruption for example. Horrors? Who cares! Wish!

If the girl is destroyed somehow - maybe it backfires on the Oracle who possessed her anyway, leaving a dead, uninhabited fountain, and calling a God more or less equals these searches for a new Nameless priestess in this case.
Maybe. After all, its not a true immortality anyway; its being able to come back when called by your worshippers. Or found in the body of a newborn girl.

P.S.

If there was some way to make it impossible to change shape outside your capitol...
The nameless priestess shouldnt be able to leave capitol, I think. By any means.
Most immobiles don't care about astral corruption/any kind of assassination anyway, as they can simply cast returning.

But yes, immortality would certainly still cause problems.
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

You can make the second shape immortal.

What you suggest is easily modded.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM

First Lieutenant

Yeah, but not quite. Second immortal form is only good if it can never leave capitol, both thematically and balance-wise. If its a simple second form, you can teleport your pretender, then change shape.

Making all immobile pretenders immortal and able to travel the world in a human shape isnt good, in my opinion. Its not the same as just growing a pair of hands for forging.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

But you're the one suggesting it,...?

You can make a second form that can't leave the cap anyway.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Corporal

Gokufan1988 is on a distinguished road

So just make both forms immobile. The human form can be immortal and have better slots while the monolith/fountain/whatever form would be mortal but tougher and able to teleport.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

AdmiralZhao is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great post. I just finished reading _The Tombs of Atuan_ this weekend, and the entire book could have been flavor text for C'tis. Well, except for the fact that they are all boring humans rather than awesome lizards.