.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 25th, 2006, 12:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions

I don't think so.

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Sergeant

solops is on a distinguished road

In the game startup I select the option that allows "Renaming." What exactly does this allow me to rename and where is it done. I have been unable to find a way to rename cities or mages/priests.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. Judge Learned Hand
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that They are not out to get you.

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

when you are viewing a commanders personal info, hit r (if I remember right)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Sergeant

solops is on a distinguished road

Thanks much. Maybe with terrific names my guys can win some battles....

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. Judge Learned Hand
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that They are not out to get you.

Old October 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Corporal

hoo is on a distinguished road

Tactics question:

Should you sacrifice troops in order to build a 2nd temple early in the game? Seems like building an early second temple gives you an extra check and more dominion spread but at the sacrifice at province expansion.

Is the dominion spread worth it?
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Hmmm everything has its pros and cons, but generally Id say.. its not worth it that soon.

I would at LEAST make sure that you have taken all of the provinces connected to your castle (press the 8 key to help you tell). And usually I would go another loop or so before I start thinking about another temple. By then I tend to find someplace that needs a temple. Someplace I can recruit special units if I have a temple there.

Of course, if undead armies at approaching fast then toss out everything I said.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Hmmm everything has its pros and cons, but generally Id say.. its not worth it that soon.

I would at LEAST make sure that you have taken all of the provinces connected to your castle (press the 8 key to help you tell). And usually I would go another loop or so before I start thinking about another temple. By then I tend to find someplace that needs a temple. Someplace I can recruit special units if I have a temple there.

Of course, if undead armies at approaching fast then toss out everything I said.
With a nation like Abysia I would though. I always have heavy good scales with it, and the starting army can take all of the provinces around my capital 9 times out of 10, so the faster I get my scales out there the more troops I can build later, and I don't need them immediately.

Most of the time it can wait though.
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ahh yes. the nations with cold and heat requirements would have a sooner need for temples. Good point.
Probably the death nations also who benefit from pushing death scales. Their armies grow faster because of it.
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:22 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

hoo -"Conquer now, consolidate later" is generaly a good motto, but if you are starting an MP game with a low dominion (say 5 or lower) a second temple early might be wise, but only if you can protect it. Climate nations and free spawn dominions might also be in a bit of a rush.

Patriot- Many people,including me, aviod BF blood magic not because it's ineffective, but because it's a pain in the neck. You have to haul the slaves around with you and keep them alive until you use them, there are only a couple blood spells that do not use slaves, and most blood spells have very high fatigue.

The strength of blood comes from a few excellent items (Hell Sword, Soul Contract, Lifetime Contract), and, most especialy, it's many excellent summons. In fact, i do not think that there are any blood summons that are bad, and nearly all are good or excellent. The unique devil lords in particular are highly thought of by nearly all experienced players. One drawback though- they are mostly single unit summons.
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tyrant said:

Patriot- Many people,including me, aviod BF blood magic not because it's ineffective, but because it's a pain in the neck. You have to haul the slaves around with you and keep them alive until you use them, there are only a couple blood spells that do not use slaves, and most blood spells have very high fatigue.

The strength of blood comes from a few excellent items (Hell Sword, Soul Contract, Lifetime Contract), and, most especialy, it's many excellent summons. In fact, i do not think that there are any blood summons that are bad, and nearly all are good or excellent. The unique devil lords in particular are highly thought of by nearly all experienced players. One drawback though- they are mostly single unit summons.
Ferry the slaves around with scouts. In fact, ferry all gems/slaves around with scouts if you're not using them. Also ironically enough, the demon lords are considered subpar by nearly all experienced players. I think you mean the unique Arch Devils and Ice Devils though, those are beasts for their cost.