This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default OT: High-speed internet options

I've grown rather tired of my wussy 28.8kbps dial-up internet connection, particularly when downloading large files, whereby it can take up to 2 full days of downloading to aquire even a 500Mb file. As such, I have some questions about high-speed internet services for those of you in the know (which is most of you!).

1. Assuming traditional land-line options (DSL, ADSL, Cable, Fiber-Optic) aren't available, and wireless also isn't an option, what else currently exists that could possibly bridge my hungering for faster internet?

2. Assuming there's a wireless transmitter located on a nearby (~5km as the crow flies) mountain, but it's slightly out of line-of-sight (trees in the way, possibly a little hill), is wireless still an option despite the LOS issue? Is LOS even an issue? And what sorts of speeds could I get, assuming LOS isn't a big issue and at the specified distance from the transmitter? I think they use the 802.11b industry standard.

3. Assuming I can get into LOS of the wireless transmitter, what is the maximum distance I could run a cable from the signal receiver to my computer, and not have signal loss or degradation?

4. Any other miscellaneous information you choose to share would be welcome

Thanks!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: High-speed internet options

1) Try an ISDN line - more expensive than DSL, and less effective, but available basically anywhere they've got phone lines.

2) It's an option, but you'll need some tricks to be able to get in contact with the other end at that distance - a directional antennae, specifically. They aren't too difficult to make, but a hill in the way will put that option right out, and weather (specifically, moisture in the air) will utterly kill your reception. Also depends on what else is between you and your target - especially electrical things (power lines, houses, and so on). Trees are also very stopping (due mostly to the water). Speeds will mostly depend on how much interference you're dealing with, and how good your side and their side are.

3) Depends. Mostly on the type of wire (use plenium for maximum distance with traditional cable, but there's other options). You can also set up repeaters (if you've got a power source - a simple hub, essentially) for longer distances, although it will introduce some latency. Also: Signal degradation usually just manifests as a lower connection speed - your computer generally will automatically retry packets that don't make it.

4) Sounds painful.
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Sergeant

Romulus68 is on a distinguished road

ISDN or Satellite is about your only option.

Both require an investment to get you going. ISDN will allow you to play online games but is not as fast at downloading compared to a satellite. The sat will not synchronize in multiplayer games, but you can get up to a 1.5mb connection compared to 128kb ISDN connection.

ISDN may is slower, but its a true digital connection and is still 4X times faster than your dial up.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
4. Any other miscellaneous information you choose to share would be welcome
I would try moving somewhere with a population density a bit higher than a fraction of a person per square mile.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you build a 20+ meter high tower to place the antenna above the hill and trees?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

I'd go ISDN

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old November 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM

General

Quote:
Will said:
I would try moving somewhere with a population density a bit higher than a fraction of a person per square mile.
I would but...I like the solitude, the geography, everything really

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM

General

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I'm looking mostly into ISDN at the moment (thanks for suggesting it!), but when I looked it up on wikipedia, to be honest, I didn't understand most of the technical stuff.

As such, I'm not sure how I would obtain such a service, if it's even possible where I am. So, some more questions!

1. How would I go about determining if it is available, and does anyone know any companies which provide the service whom I could obtain it from?

2. How bad is latency with ISDN, especially as compared to traditional dialup? It's somewhat important to me, since I play a lot of multiplayer online games where lag is killer.

3. Any other information about ISDN that you could provide (dumbed down a little bit to compensate for my relative lack of technical knowledge on the subject).

Again, many thanks to you all for the information! I greatly appreciate it.

Old November 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Sergeant

Santiago is on a distinguished road

This is a link to BellSouth, now AT+T, Isdn Faq page. It gives basic info on ISDN. You'd need to contact your own local phone provider and see what they can do for you. Good Luck

http://www.bellsouth.com/smallbusine...isdn/faqs.html