.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old June 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Fighter Ace (Very, very early-stage stuff)

I had a concept not too long ago to make a WW modification based around the idea that you control solely a fighter (and possibly other fighters), and take out a varied array of ships, including other fighters and capital ships, with your dazzling skills and abilities. I actually then worked some on furthering this idea.

Unfortunately, while looking over the quests, it's dawned on me that I am nowhere near competent enough to get this anywhere near completion in any acceptable amount of time. What are probably the most basic things (such as how to make meeting up with the Muktian corvette ally you with the Muktians, in spite of said corvette not becoming part of your flotilla) elude my understanding. Since I have other projects and ideas for other games to attend to, I can't take the time to learn how to do this properly, so I'm passing the little material I've made on here.

It includes a lot of stuff that's probably excess; the vast majority of things in these folders are unmodified. It is also basically undocumented, unfortunately.

I have made changes to shields. I also boosted the laser beam and impaler rack a bit. My most extensive changes, though, involve the distribution.ini file and Brass/Pirate quest files.

I had an array of ideas but since I don't have either the knowledge to do it or the time to learn it right now, I leave it to anyone who is short on inspiration. Maybe the little I've done will be a seed for something greater. And if not, maybe sometime I can come back to it, in which case this'll be a good backup site.

Either way, win/win.

- Bob
Attached Files
File Type: zip 619195-fighterace.zip (160.1 KB, 342 views)
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fighter Ace (Very, very early-stage stuff)

I really like your new intro screens, and your half-way mission message. The smaller maps were kinda neat too, as it lets you squeak in "one more game" when you're pinched for time. Overall, pretty cool, kudos on all that.

I encountered a Bug - and I'm not talking about the Ravians - The game crashes whenever I try to start it on the small map. Not sure if that's because the map size / file itself is a problem, or if it's this thing Psientist mentioned in an old thread:

Quote:
Psientist said:
4. If your mod works on larger map sizes but not smaller, you might have too many "always" quests of certain types. I'm not certain of this, but it seemed to fix a problem for me.
I haven't examined your files to see if you added extra "always" quests or not.

I also found this error message when I ran it verbose. I'm not entirely certain what the message means, or if it's truly linked to the crash, or how to fix it, but maybe someone will know what to do with it. The error message was:

Quote:
libpng warning: Incomplete compressed datastream in iCCP chunk
libpng warning: Profile size field missing from iCCP chunk