.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM

Private

WoodMan is on a distinguished road
Default Another New Modder Question, Namelists this time!

Hi all!

Sorry for all these questions, but I can't find an answer for this in the modders guide.

In the example mod and modders guide they use the 2 free name list slots 127 and 128 to name heroes.

My question is is this the only way to have a custom name list? What if there are more than two heroes? What if you want to use two mods at the same time and they both used these slots?

Is there another way to add custom name lists? At the moment I'm using the two custom name lists for heroes and having to use Marverni names for my commanders. Ideally I would like to create an entirely new unique name list for my commanders but there is no free custom names slot left. Also this leads to problems, what if I create another nation or use someone elses at the same time, is there no way to get more names?
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another New Modder Question, Namelists this time!

The developers' change log indicates that more name lists *might* be in the next patch, when/if it is released.

For now however, yes, that is the only way to explicitly name a unit and there are only 2 slots.

Some workarounds people have used:
  • Specify the unit name in the description, and just assume the player will rename the unit. This is safe, if unsatisfying.
  • Use the name list for a nation that is not in the same era as a particular mod (e.g. Bogarus' name list for an EA/MA mod.) This has been used often enough that it's about as susceptible as the custom name lists to being overwritten.
  • Come up with hero concepts that don't rely on a specific name, e.g. give the unit type name "Masked Avenger" and you don't really care that the unit is named "Bob".
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM

Private

Thanks Stavis! After re-reading through the modders guide, it seems I missed something though. There are an additional 9 empty name lists to use, that is, unless the mod guide that came with my version of Dom3 is out of date.

It says 127, 128 and 141-149 (IIRC).
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMan View Post
Thanks Stavis! After re-reading through the modders guide, it seems I missed something though. There are an additional 9 empty name lists to use, that is, unless the mod guide that came with my version of Dom3 is out of date.

It says 127, 128 and 141-149 (IIRC).
That is out of date; the higher numbers are now in use. Apply the latest patch, and it should update the modding.pdf in the "docs" subdirectory of your dominions directory. As a bonus, there are a lot of additional modding features that have been added over time, which you'll now have documented.
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM

Private

argh! Thanks very much for pointing that out! I have the latest patch installed but have been reading the wrong modding guide, no wonder I have hit so many bugs. Time to go back and use the proper modding guide, oops.