This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:56 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Question Questions

1) How can I have troops and weapon platforms guard a planet? (When I build them it only says they're in cargo and I don't see a deploy option) Answered by Suicide Junkie

2) How can I modify the upkeep maintenance for storage facilities? I searched the txt data files and tried a few changes yet no luck. Advice from Suicide Junkie

3) How can I modify the AI opponent to build storage facilities for each time it reaches a new stored amount of the resource? Hence if it has the maximum amount of radioactive resources it will build a storage facility. From my test observations it doesn't build them using the most recent balance mod and this seems important since I prefer playing games using Finite Resources. Advice from Captain Kwok

4) How can I adjust the amount of resources provided by planets? I've noticed the tiny planets will hold just as much resources as the huge planets which should rarely be true, but still possible once in awhile. I'd like to have each planet size with a specific range of resources. Advice from Captain Kwok

Last edited by NTJedi; April 27th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: details
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions

In cargo is the same as deployed to the planet.
As long as you're not trying to store them in orbital bases, they will work just fine.

Base maintenance is in the settings.txt
If you want full control, you could set the base maintenance to zero, and then add a negative resource generation ability (use the one that is independent of planet value!) to the facilities. Set the description to mention maintenance costs, and you're golden.
This has the additional benefit of making the construction and maintenance costs independent. For example, you could have a power plant that costs metal to build, but uses up 500 organics and generates 1500 rads each turn.

Start with Kwok's Balance Mod AI scripts. And don't play finite resources against AIs. It won't work well unless you're willing to put in a lot of work to make them act completely different.
You'll want to play against humans in order to make a finite resource game practical.

Settings.txt again. The minimum/maximum resources for various start options are listed in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Suicide Junkie For This Useful Post:
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Questions

I haven't really put any effort into making the AI good at Finite resources at this time. It requires a whole different empire philosophy that I don't have the time to adjust for - at least now. :P
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie View Post
In cargo is the same as deployed to the planet.
As long as you're not trying to store them in orbital bases, they will work just fine.

Base maintenance is in the settings.txt
If you want full control, you could set the base maintenance to zero, and then add a negative resource generation ability (use the one that is independent of planet value!) to the facilities. Set the description to mention maintenance costs, and you're golden.
This has the additional benefit of making the construction and maintenance costs independent. For example, you could have a power plant that costs metal to build, but uses up 500 organics and generates 1500 rads each turn.

Start with Kwok's Balance Mod AI scripts. And don't play finite resources against AIs. It won't work well unless you're willing to put in a lot of work to make them act completely different.
You'll want to play against humans in order to make a finite resource game practical.

Settings.txt again. The minimum/maximum resources for various start options are listed in there.

Thanks Suicide Junkie I found the maintenance cost for all facilities within the settings.txt . I will try and figure out the negative resource generation ability.
I figured my first few games would be with finite resources since I'm just starting and this would help give me a fair balance until I'm ready for tougher challenges.

I understand Captain Kwok... has any long term testing been done to determine which AI opponents have better performance? This type of testing could be a competition against the modders to determine which AI opponent has the best performance after 50 turns for 20 games.

Any advice or suggestions for #3 and #4 ?
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Questions

Nobody is really modding the AI except for myself and another player making AI for their BSG mod. Perhaps when I release v1.20 of the Balance Mod, I'll hold a tournament of the AIs in the mod.

---

For question #3, it's relatively easy to add a condition where if the AI has X resources in storage and a surplus production, then build a storage facility on planet Y. It's only going to help a bit with the AI and finite resources since they're construction routines are not designed with conservation in mind.

For question #4, you could run a one-time event via the Events script after the first turn to adjust all the values of planets in the game.

Both are not difficult to do, but does require understanding of SE5's AI scripting.

Wiki link on the basics:
http://wiki.spaceempires.net/index.p...t_Editing_(SEV)

The Balance Mod AI scripts are setup a bit differently then the stock scripts, but their general handling is the same.
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure to copy the article link and add the final parenthesis in the address bar; this forum software (and others) tends to cut it off.