Default Interesting read

https://ecfr.eu/article/military-les...rope-to-worry/
Old November 25th, 2020, 07:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Interesting read

Yes, indeed.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 25th, 2020, 12:03 PM

Corporal

whdonnelly is on a distinguished road

Just an observation here. During my last year in Afghanistan, the Turks and Azerbaijanis almost functioned as one unit. Very good training and experience provided by the Turkish force, lots of enthusiasm from the Azerbaijan troops. Which surprised me, because some held the view that the Azerbaijanis were closer to Iranians than any other group.
Old November 25th, 2020, 12:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdonnelly View Post
Just an observation here. During my last year in Afghanistan, the Turks and Azerbaijanis almost functioned as one unit. Very good training and experience provided by the Turkish force, lots of enthusiasm from the Azerbaijan troops. Which surprised me, because some held the view that the Azerbaijanis were closer to Iranians than any other group.
There is a saying in Turkey: "Turkey-Azerbaijan. Two countries, one nation". I think that shows which country Azeris feel closer to.

Also, Iran has an Azeri minority, however it can be seen as a potential destabilizing factor. Israel has seen this and it is not by chance either that Azerbaijan's military was full of Israeli drones and ATGMs.
Old December 11th, 2020, 09:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Here's another take from an Indian perspective. Dunno how accurate it is but the narrator makes it sound as if Azeri drones won the war almost single-handedly. Food for thought though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmDi_QN3kE
Old December 12th, 2020, 12:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Recon is frequently the key to success.

This is where drones, of any size, excel. I think being able to effectively counter opposition drones is a vital key to the modern battlefield. And one reason I believe the current USMC plan to have a drone operator at squad level is going to yield interesting results in the future.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 12th, 2020, 01:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the way to delete drones will be other drones.

Saw a demo of some drone flying, the camera was in the nose and you basically flew these sporty little micro drones about using the forward camera view on VR headsets - they were slaloming under the wings of parked planes on an airbase and "strafing" them by camera.

So micro-fighter squadrons to patrol the airspace, and likely fly as kamikazes to hit-to-kill? If thse fighter drones carried a warhead worth say 1 or 2 40mm grenades then they could also do ground attack on targets of reasonable value if the need arose.

Might not need an HE load if crash to kill is the modus operandi - just beef up the leading edge and nose in light steel rather than pathetic plastic, and be in effect a guided boomerang (might even survive the impact and make a second pass on another even if it was a wee bit bit wobbly after giving the first contact its "Glasgow Kiss" (i.e. a head butt!)).
Old December 28th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road

Always go overboard withanything. Nuclear payload drones is the way to go.
Old December 28th, 2020, 09:41 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isto View Post
Or that other genie in a bottle...the bio-chem side of the triad.
Old January 14th, 2021, 06:00 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isto View Post
Or that other genie in a bottle...the bio-chem side of the triad.
The bio-chem triad makes me wonder how many people are walking the earth that have no humanity. Oh, their alive biologically, but don't forget the saying "man doesn't live on water alone." Someday there will be little ity-bity drones that's hardly detectible infiltrating your home. Think of all the government controlled cameras that's already in use. I think the Constitution is dead. What a waist. The feds have violated human rights left and right, there's no reason to think they will stop. It seems like people get in trouble when they try do anything about it, two impeachment attempts already for Trump, and he didn't even commit a crime, that's the whole reason why impeachments are in place anyway, incase the president commits a crime, not because he offended somebody. You think the internet is giving communists around the world a means to mess with the American way of life? Kind of like a drive through. Don't think that communists or people in general can't use computers to influence the world the way they see fit, after all computers can make billions of calculations per second and orders can be issued at the speed of electricity. Depending on the way you look at it, America has been under siege for years. I guess nobody can do any thing about it because it would start WWIII and cost at least trillions of dollars to fix, if not national treasures. I declare we eliminate all military bases not in America, after all we were strongest when we were an isolationist country like the time before WWI and WWII. We were twice as strong as any country on earth then, in fact we were so strong that we hardly needed an army. We were privileged to be the greatest country on the planet, now there's signs and more signs telling you can't do this and you can't do that. Whatever happened to the saying "give me liberty or give me death"?

Last edited by Dion; January 14th, 2021 at 06:12 PM..