.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New mod: Barbarians Unified

That'd be cool, cause I haave no idea where you were going with this!

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I downloaded it. It looks good, and the graphics you do have look fine. I'd really like to see this mod expanded, and I'd love to have some more information on where this mod is headed, if you want to explain it to me too.
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

BandarLover... maybe... you could just post your thoughts/ideas here?

Regardless, I'd be interested in hearing what ideas you had for this. Even if it isn't super complex, I like the mod.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

Ok, since my time is short, I'm essentially copy/pasting the PM I sent Juzza.

My vision for this mod was a Late Era nation that was more magic oriented but less advanced military-wise. Barbarians, as a rule, should rely heavily on swarm tactics, but their units are far from chaff, maybe not well armoured but the equal or greater in offensive combat skills. The only unit I am rather unhappy with as far as looks go is the Bear Warrior. I had intended to make him look beefier, a little taller, think Ajax from the movie Troy. Included in the mod are also 1 new pretender that Sombre graciously whipped up rather quickly, and 1 hero unit, the Barbarian King. My intent was for him to be a very thuggable commander, but I never got him to appear so I prolly did something wrong command-wise. I had intended 2 other pretender types to go along with the bear (Shardik) and the Son of Frenrir (the 'Wolf' aspect of the nation): A large White Hart god and one 3 headed monstrosity (Think 3 wolf heads with deer antlers rising from each head on the upright body of a bear with goat's legs. My inspiration for this came from Mastadon's Blood Mountain cd. Check their website to see the cover art) that I don't know what to name yet. I leave any other hero types to your discretion. I could really only think of one other, an ancient crone type, with high magic and holy skills.

Those were my thoughts in a nutshell.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about repel? Length 3 weapon and high attack work well together... If the repel attack hits, it's Awe +0, and I think even shield-parried hits count. In an era of high armor and low defence, that should work well. Except for archers.

As for heroes... perhaps a very SPECIAL shaman. Bear and Horse and Toad shamans, well, those are pretty real-world. What about a Dragon Shaman, or Wyrm Shaman, or Shaman of the Tarrasque, or something. Besides magical power, he'd have powerful intrinsic abilities.
For the melee hero, say he wears the pelt of a Kithaironic Lion and give him Kithaironic Armor, with very good protection for no encumberance or defense maluses. Base mapmove 3, base encumberance 2, base attack/defence 15 for vanilla or more for Worthy Heroes level of power, etc.

National version of Dragon Mastery in Conjuration, perhaps renamed Beast Mastery or Dragon Tribe Initiation or something, for N1 or such, could work. Depends on how you rebalance the mages, of course, and if you keep the Nature 1 pick on all of them or not.
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

For barbarian heroes, off the top of my head-instead of the undead bog giant skratti that jotun nations get, how about an immortal, undead bog giant warrior? I base this suggestion on the undead king (the skeleton king in the Aaaahnold version) that Conan gets his sword from.

A mammoth, whooly rhino, or sabre-toothed tiger would make an interesting hero too, since we don't see many animal heroes. For extra goodness, give them an armored slot, so we can see an armored version.

And if you want to run with the Conan theme, how about a hero based on the being locked inside the Tower of the Elephant?

Pretender-wise, how about an immobile Pretender in the form of a heap of skulls? Or one that's a fantastic SC but that disappears after only 1 combat, so that his people won't come to rely on him/her.

Finally, barbarians tend to attract sidekicks, if only for the comic relief, so maybe some stealthy or magely heroes? Or maybe some skantily-clad princess (or prince, for the lady barbarians) heroes with Awe.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

I haven't got much done over this nice little holiday sorry, I'll be working on it more over the week, or weeks

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:30 PM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

I have played about half way through a game. I am enjoying it alot. Here are some of my thoughts and suggestions in no order:

Its your mod, don't feel obligated to follow my advice.

I think the sacreds are too cheap, I would up the cost to 15 or 20 gold.

What is a Thane? The text leaves me a little puzzled. Maybe insert a sentence that says " A Thane is... A Thane does this..."

Mages are a little weak even for late age. Maybe add another 10% chance at a random on there. Or maybe relpace one of the two who get auto nature with a Toad/rain shamen that gets auto water or something.

I was hoping for a little more variety, I agree with the decision to leave out the Amazons (thematically they would never get along) but how bout some women warriors. How bout some chaff with rocks and sticks? How bout a huge guys with huge axes? Whatever you add more options would be welcome.

I like having access to troops with stealth/ pillage/ survival. very nice. Pillage is so cool and rare, I love to see more of it. Not sure I agree with the standard on the commanders however. Barbarians are not well know for their organization.

no starting gem site. we need one.

Everything is recruitable everywhere. It overpowers the nation. maybe make only one sacred recruitable outside capitol and make the big shamen capitol only.

One last thing. I think they should benifit from turmoil scales. As it is they benift from order, which is what they are fighting against. Maybe make some units autosummon based on turmoil?

Hope this helps!
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:36 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

I downloaded this mod and am having an issue with the tga files. Specifically, when I try to go and select a physical form for pretender it crashes and tells me it cant open ./mods/./Barbarians/bandarbear.tga I tried to remove all the tga files directly to the mods folder which didn't help. Could somone point me in the right direction plz.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barbarians Unified

I'm bumping this because I really want to play this mod but don't know how to fix my problem. Som1 PLZ HELP!!