.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road
Default Best Roleplay nation

Hi All

Playing as Caelum and loving picturing the realm. My Eagle Lords spam a few buffs and then launch themselves into the fray to spam shockwave (when the AI gods smile on me).

Massive mammoths, wingless heavy infantry and the unstoppable chill spreading from the frozen peak....

Awesome!
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Roleplay nation

what exactly is the point of this thread...? what are you trying to say...?

the title suggests you ask about the best nation to role play with, which is a stupid question Imho as role playing is not nation dependent at all... but than you start rambling on about Eagle Kings, what do they have to do with anything...?
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
what exactly is the point of this thread...? what are you trying to say...?

the title suggests you ask about the best nation to role play with, which is a stupid question Imho as role playing is not nation dependent at all... but than you start rambling on about Eagle Kings, what do they have to do with anything...?
Well mate, I thought I'd say that I find the fantasy aspect of the game to be great food for the imagination. I was looking to hear if others have nations that get their right-side brain neurons firing.

For example for me Marverni seems as shiny to my imagination as a black matt wall on a dark night. Abysia however burns as bright in my mind as the Smoldercone erupting.

Thats my point dude.
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM

BANNED USER

Eximius Sus is an unknown quantity at this point

Squid heads. But holy crap trying to write in Cthuvian is rough.
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Corporal

Debaser8 is on a distinguished road

I think Bandar Log is pretty characterful. Monkey Yogas blowing away enemies with their minds. Huge apes with clubs throwing rocks. Monkey tiger riders launching heroic charges. Sacred spirits occasionally enlisting in the simian army and gracefully slaughtering it's enemies. Also, Lanka, though I have only played it single player, feels like an appropriately dark and oppressive demon realm.

Pangea, also feels very themed, though EA Pangea's lack of magic diversity makes it seem kind of weak to me. I think to a large degree the best roleplay nation depends on the user and what they like to imagine.
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

there was a thread about the historical civilizations some of the dom3 nations represent, such as C'tis being ancient Egypt, Marignon being France/Spain during the Inquisition, Man being Ireland, etc. pretty sure you can still find it here, or at the very least google. there's also the dom3 lore in the guide IIRC. would help with the whole fantasy aspect if that's what floats your boat.
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM

BANNED USER

Eximius Sus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser8 View Post
I think Bandar Log is pretty characterful. Monkey Yogas blowing away enemies with their minds. Huge apes with clubs throwing rocks. Monkey tiger riders launching heroic charges. Sacred spirits occasionally enlisting in the simian army and gracefully slaughtering it's enemies. Also, Lanka, though I have only played it single player, feels like an appropriately dark and oppressive demon realm.

Pangea, also feels very themed, though EA Pangea's lack of magic diversity makes it seem kind of weak to me. I think to a large degree the best roleplay nation depends on the user and what they like to imagine.
The problem with monkeys is all the poo flinging. However, Strength of Giants and Wind Guide help a lot in effective poo tactics.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Corporal

aaminoff is on a distinguished road

Heh. So I keep wishing I had time to write a guide to Kailasa, about how to play Kailasa with a Tien Chi sort of twist. The image I have is an exile on the run from the losing side of some political intrigue in the Celestial City, ends up in the jungle. King Louie (from Disney's The Jungle Book) is lounging on the throne, and wants to know why they shouldn't just stone him to death on the spot. The Celestial promises to teach the Kailasa actual tactics and strategy, and rises to be the power behind the throne.

Sadly I don't have the talent to write in-character AARs or guides, or the time to do it even if I did.
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:19 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
there was a thread about the historical civilizations some of the dom3 nations represent, such as C'tis being ancient Egypt, Marignon being France/Spain during the Inquisition, Man being Ireland, etc. pretty sure you can still find it here, or at the very least google. there's also the dom3 lore in the guide IIRC. would help with the whole fantasy aspect if that's what floats your boat.
I remember that thread, I do find the mythology behind the nations interesting. I've wanted to play as EA Mictlan for this reason alone but the micro puts me off.

I usually tire of computer games quickly but not this one, I'm amazed I'm still playing it. My next game will be the blood sacrificing Mictlan, mythic winged serpents and tzitzimitl's lead by the dark onaqui's....

Excellent!
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Sergeant

Numahr is on a distinguished road

Generally I like human nations for the RP aspect. To imagine "normal" humans trying to survive and build an empire, with all their weaknessess, in this strange magical world, is inspiring to me.