This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old November 1st, 2003, 12:58 AM

Private

Strych9 is on a distinguished road
Default Renegade Legion

Been playing the demo for a few days and I must say I am really diggin this game.

I was just curious if it reminded anyone else of an old old old title called Renegade Legion Interceptor. While it was turn based and dealt with an entire squad of ships, i always loved that you could 'build' your ships, assigning weapons and devices to specific hardpoints, what kind of armor and how much etc. It went a step further in that you had just as much control over your individual pilots.

My brother and I would spend hours building our teams and then have it blowing each other away which would then require us to sit and rethink our ship designs to counter each other, what a bLast...

I was always dissapointed that no one ever did something similar, until now! Great job and just wanted to drop a quick note before heading over to purchase the 'real deal'.

-s9
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renegade Legion

Have you tried Privateer and PrivateerII?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:48 PM

Private

Yup, even played the whole wing commander series to boot, not to mention trying and trying to get into Battlecruiser 3000. (Ive even sank as low as buying XCOM Interceptor, still makes me shake my head in confusion). None of these were really as in depth as star fury or renegade was and is when it comes to prepping your ship.

I kept on buying just about ever sci fi title I could get my hands on but so few have ever really captured me as much.

Not sure why that is, but I really do enjoy 'popping the top' as it were when designing the ships.

If anyone else remembers another 'classic' it was Hard Nova, now that one was an absolute bLast when it came to ship to ship boarding parties. You could wipe out the crew and take over the ship or just make for the engine room and set charges and evac before it blew. Being boarded was just as fun as you had to repel the invaders, what a bLast!. Thats another little 'piece' that I miss as well...

s9
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

Tacyhon was fun. Simple, fast, and almost open ended. The ship could be outfitted with different weapons and accessories.

My son is playing EVNOVA now. I have been to busy with Starfury to bother with the demo. It is the third game in the escape velocity series.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Private

Ahhhh, I had almost forgotten about Tachyon, that was the one with bruce campbell as the voice for the main character correct?

(Looking over my shoulder at my bookshelf for other sci fi sims I still have.) IWar - Iwar Deluxe edition - IWar 2 are a couple of others that I enjoyed for awhile although I dont remember finishing IWar 2...

I took a quick trip over to EVNova to check it out as I hadn't heard of that one before, looks pretty awesome!

-s9
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

EVNova has its points, but what you see in the demo is pretty much the entire game. Sans ship capturing and some of the missions.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Private

Tiwaking is on a distinguished road
Default Good Old Times

I was just curious if it reminded anyone else of an old old old title called Renegade Legion Interceptor.

Yep I remember that good old game. Was based on a board game of the same name, similar to Mechwarrior. Like you I played the Wing Commander and Hard Nova games. Have you ever tried a game called Rules Of Engagement? Its really old but lots of fun. It is a modular game so if you board an enemy vessel it auto-boots up another game called Breach 2. You have a squad based mission to take the enemy ship, much like UFO - Enemy Unknown as UFO was based on the "Rules Of Engagement/Breach series"