Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2022, 09:58 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
FWIW here's a viddy by an apparently retired US major of British pedigree who served in Iraq as tank commander and Afghanistan as S-3 for his squadron and later as S-1 for a training unit. This is what he has to say about the use of edited footage about combat in Ukraine, including that now-famous ambush of a Russian armored column entering an urban area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pVEP0AzZ4&t=2s
Shared that in one of the links on here as well. We are getting a lot of uhmm, well propaganda and how can I say it nicely, oh yes, bovine excrement from all sides. I personally DO NOT believe anything coming out of the Ukraine or Russia as far as reports go and all of the videos are a bit suspect and as Chieftain says, MISSING CONTEXT.
Old March 26th, 2022, 10:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Yes and that is at least the fourth time it's been posted on these forums ( but I am glad people are watching it )

#23 and #43 on this thread alone

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 27th, 2022, 12:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Oops! Sorry 'bout that.
Old March 27th, 2022, 03:43 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lem3enNkbV0

Quote:
Debunking the myth of Russian 'cannon fodder' in Ukraine
One POV this ties in with the posted link above

The premise here is that old equipment DOES NOT make up the bulk of the losses
I think I am going to cry.
It has finally happened.
Someone who knows the difference between hypothetical and theoretical/in theory.
It feels so good.
Thank you for sharing this video. Not only for the interesting content, but for the detail I mentioned.
Old March 27th, 2022, 07:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It APPEARS that in some cases at least, the Ukrainians are using drones to spot fall of shot and there is enough drone footage of ambushes to support the idea that this while perhaps not common is not uncommon as well

You can see a drone prepared at one point, small mortars firing and one guy checking his phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCpyRVZw7aM

I am experimenting with observation drones in the light helicopter class as opposed to the AOP aircraft class. This allows full control over where they can go and adjust altitude ( just like a real drone ) AND it allows the drone to act as a FOO

The trade-off for this ability ( they are size zero with TI and 8 EW )is they are not cheap and they are not totally invulnerable to ground fire.

As I said, I'm still in the experimental stage with this but anyone interested can set one up and run their own tests and give feedback. The Icon and photo is just a placeholder for now and sound 19 does not exist in your games so don't use it

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4Om_4n998

Now that is a $15,000 USD drone but consider what it is capable of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwCENsYJ-6k

that version is $14,000 CDN ( AND it has a built in range finder)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test drone set up.png
Views:	275
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	16678  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 27th, 2022 at 08:14 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 27th, 2022, 08:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

More "questionable" news coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0mwKfc5Ed8

Quote:
Russian artillery control vehicle “Rheostat” seized in southern Ukraine!
That vehicle was introduced 36-years ago. The latest is the Zavet-D so capturing a vehicle like that while certainly worthwhile it's hardly worth making it a big issue

The tie in between this post, the Zavet-D and the one about drones is the Zavet-D is able to provide data exchange between drones and artillery crews.

Last edited by DRG; March 27th, 2022 at 08:48 AM..
Old March 27th, 2022, 12:02 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

A funny parody, much better if you don't speak Russian, just go with the music and the subtitles. I laughed and thought to share it, for a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzAnNU4u28
Old March 28th, 2022, 04:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

Well as has been reported thoroughly by reliable sources with analysis from some of our former Top Generals (i.e., U.S. NATO and European Commanders and more.) it looks like from my last post and updated today...

Page 6 Post 67...
"Those goals were 1. Take out the capital and Decapite the government. I would argue the following is of more importance."
Mine now-Currently Ukraine has done over the weekend, and I didn't watch the video as posted from Chieftain(?) and that is to counterattack to the WNW and NW of the capital. They've regained enough ground to push the Russian short and medium range artillery back far enough as not to be a factor for now. Some units have fallen back into Belarus to rest and refit while others have started to dig in. How long this will last is anyone's guess especially since there are also reports some other units have been shifted to the East to consolidate their gains and do what they can to finish off Ukrainian resistance in that part of the country.

"2. Establish a "land bridge" in Eastern Ukraine from the breakaway providences to Crimea and onward to Odessa which would consolidate their 2014 gains and essentially also give them unchallenged control of both the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea."
Mine now
- Russian reinforcements have been pulled from Georgia (And there was much celebration!?!) to bolster Russian forces and remove Ukrainian resistance in the Dondas region.

Mariupol is still holding but for how long is the BIG question in importance I take you back to WWII and how important both Cherbourg and Antwerp for the allies' drive to Germany. Some reports indicate they pulled back some units from Odessa to put more pressure on Mariupol.

From both a tactical and strategic point this makes absolute sense to me. It is what I would do before attempting to take Odessa which would be the last major seaport the Ukrainians would have. It should be pointed out it's already under a "light" blockade until more naval units arrive from the Mediterranean Sea (They were already in route and should be there.).

Some of you might have noticed the map behind the Russian Generals from a news brief in Russia that showed Ukraine partitioned, unlike some current news reports (North and South Korea.) it offends my navigation training as I am very much more reminded of East and West Germany. It's a Compass Rose thing for me.

Those are my views as taken not from Cell Phones (When I retired in 2002 it also was retired. And I don't miss it.), Fox News, MSNBC or Blogs. That's how I roll.

Have a great day everyone and CINCLANTHOME got more shots in the mouth then last time.

Time to check on her!!

There "they" are again.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; March 28th, 2022 at 07:45 PM..
Old March 28th, 2022, 04:35 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

This seems to be a pretty reasonable appreciation:

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...sment-march-27
Old March 28th, 2022, 08:31 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Now I have watched a few has anyone actually seen a tank kill by a Javelin? They seem oddly missing I have seen MBTLAW & various RPGs kill from the side as you would expect. The video often says its a Javelin but its not.