.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default CPCS -- CrossPath Combat Spells

Thread Moved

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.

Last edited by Burnsaber; May 10th, 2010 at 03:47 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post:
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CPCS v. 0.3 - adds 33 new spells.

When shrapnel swithced over to the new forum, the ability to edit posts was limited to 30 minutes or so of posting. Because the ability to edit the first post in a thread was very important for dom3 they changed it so that the first post could be edited limitlessly, but left it as is elsewise.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

A: Depends on the spell. It will regulary use the new direct damage spells. Those with more exotic effects (like #newspells) you'll have to script to get the AI use them. You should also remember that the AI doesn't realize what the #nextspells do. "Anger of God" for example, is a damage spells that does 6+ AN shock damage and with #nextspells 30 physical damage if the target is sacred. The AI doesn't realize that it's a anti-sacred spell and will not specifically target them.

can't you just switch the effects?? that would make the AI prefer to target the sacreds which should be the idea I guess.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
Could anyone tell me why I'm unable to edit my second post in this thread? I'm starting to get really annoyed to that old 0.1 version download there.
Post removed.
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
When shrapnel swithced over to the new forum, the ability to edit posts was limited to 30 minutes or so of posting. Because the ability to edit the first post in a thread was very important for dom3 they changed it so that the first post could be edited limitlessly, but left it as is elsewise.
That just.. blows. Hard.

Ugh.. I had quite clear idea how I wanted the first posts of the thread look. Have my minor FAQ and starting words first, then the actual mod download and after that, the spell list. You know, so that it would look nice and you wouldn't have to scim over 40+ spell descriptions to get to the download.

Now it seems that I have to run every change through a moderator. Inconvenient and time consuming for all parties involved. Well, you just have to go by the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
can't you just switch the effects?? that would make the AI prefer to target the sacreds which should be the idea I guess.
It's a desing decision that nothing in this mod is completely unresistable (unless the effect is just neglible and annoying like the Battle Fright affliction in "Whispers from Afterlife" and Never Healing Wound from "Waters from Tartarus"). AoE sacred damage spell with 30 damage is quite close to something like that. No defense rolls, no MR rolls, nothing. By having the lighting effect first you can defend against it by having 100% shock resistance, to prevent AI from targeting your troops in the first place.

Now that I wrote that down and thus read it, it simply dawned on me how retarted that is. That's just clunky and meta-gamish. I'll have to figure something out and change it on the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
Could anyone tell me why I'm unable to edit my second post in this thread? I'm starting to get really annoyed to that old 0.1 version download there.
Post removed.
Thanks. If it won't be too much of an bother could you also edit out the question on the second post? It might confuse someone.

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Burnsaber - can't you change the sacred-hurting damage to be shock damage? That'd be a much nicer mechanism.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Burnsaber - can't you change the sacred-hurting damage to be shock damage? That'd be a much nicer mechanism.
Well, these dual spells really don't work with the casting AI we got, so made it pure anti-sacred. (the cursing is just something extra, since I needed the spell have #nextspell for the graphical effect)

X ----- 2A1S - Anger of God. Smites enemy sacreds with lighting and curses them if they surive.
Evoc lev 4, R:20+, Prec:100, AoE:1, Fat:50, Dam:20+(AN, shock), UW+

I'll have to test this spell thought. To make sure that you can't "snipe" sacred mages with this spell. I the reduced range won't work, the prec 100 will have to go.

Old February 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I reckon prec 100 is a bit extreme anyway. After all that's top level damage, thunderstrike style, and thunderstrike is not precision 100 but is still considered an awesome spell.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CPCS v. 0.4 - adds 46 new spells.

I've been playing CPCS for a while now in SP and I like it a lot. I think I would like more spells in general esp. low level ones. It's fun to watch a battle where the AI busts out a new spell you haven't seen before. Whoa, what was that?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to pyg For This Useful Post:
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Colonel

Default Re: CPCS v. 0.4 - adds 46 new spells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
I've been playing CPCS for a while now in SP and I like it a lot. I think I would like more spells in general esp. low level ones. It's fun to watch a battle where the AI busts out a new spell you haven't seen before. Whoa, what was that?!?
Oh, It seems that I've somehow managed to miss this post. Well, better late than never.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. It's always appreciated. Do you happen to remember what the spell was that AI used to bewilder you? The AI seems to love the new summoning spells, so I'm quessing it's one of them.

My intention really wasn't to add spells just for the sake of adding spells, just some low-path requiment combat spells to give the nations secondary mages some use in combat. It now makes sure that each path combo has at least 2 usable combat spells. It might not be enough, thought. What if those spells are in schools you just won't be able to research?

But I'm kinda against adding new spells at this point. I really aimed this mod to be a minor-add on to fix a minor issue that bugged me since I started playing Dom3*. Adding spells would make the impact of this mod larger and more problematic to balance. IMHO, CBM has done a great job in making numereous low-level combat spells worthwhile, so I don't think that there is much need for fixing in that end.

But if more players raise their voices for adding spells, I think that I could go to 60 spells, adding some more spells to especially sucky path-combos.

* I think the exact moment was in Dom:PPP as I made F6A6 phoenix and then tried to find some awesome battle spells for him. "Sulphur Haze" was cool and all that, but kinda downer. Then I figured out that F/A didn't even have any forgeable items!