Notices

Old April 2nd, 2023, 07:30 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The UAV Club

Manufacturing of standarised bombs for UAV is already on the way

https://en.defence-ua.com/industries...ombs-6270.html

https://en.defence-ua.com/analysis/h...tant-6229.html

meaby its time to add this small robots also as a bombers inside game ??
Old April 2nd, 2023, 09:08 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: The UAV Club

Then we need to prepare to enter them for at least 2/3 of all the OOB's in the game. We have SO MANY COUNTRIES that don't even have any UAV'S etc. etc. in this game but, in the RL do.

To some degree it at times boils down to the "Have and Have Nots" but more to the point it was more a case of the few having the technology versus those that didn't at the time for several years until the technology became more widespread.

I believe when I started this, that in my first Post, I hoped someone or others would do the submissions in this area. Also, I'm sure I also posted just a small portion of what was already available back then.

EDIT: Just note the dates between my Post 11 and the next Post 12 from me.

Kind of indicative of what I already wrote about next below.

The push has always been Armor and Artillery and to a somewhat lesser extent Infantry, Helos, Planes and Jets etc. etc.

The thread Posts and Views speak volumes to what I just noted above.

To qoute one of my all-time favorite movies and taking Armor and Artillery from above into consideration,

"Are you not entertained!?!"

So, there you go in a "nutshell".

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; April 2nd, 2023 at 09:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 4th, 2023, 06:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Weapon Class=27 (NLOS ATGM, i.e. no line of sight anti-tank guided missile) does a pretty good job of replicating a suicide drone. As to armed ones, there are several in the US and USMC OOBs.

The REAL question is how many do people have?
Is a dozen, fifty, one hundred of something worth creating a unit/formation for?

If you need one just use the "Captured" option when purchasing forces.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 8th, 2023, 06:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Not a UAV per se but close enough and supposedly they are being given to Ukraine

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ion-detonating

Build enough of these things and the effect on an armoured assault would be little different than the English Longbowmen at Agincourt\

Longbow would be an excellent name for something like this... way better than ALTIUS-600M

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 12th, 2023, 07:22 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Here are articles about others new bombs for Ukraine drones which will use a dive bomber tatics like Ju-87 stuka and after release of bomb will come back to operator so this will be not a suicide drone.
https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_and...ideo-6364.html
https://mil.in.ua/en/news/ukrainian-...or-fpv-drones/

Russian from others side using now various drones with MON-50 mines in one way missions.
https://en.defence-ua.com/news/fpv_d...e_of-6376.html
Old April 13th, 2023, 06:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejos View Post
Here are articles about others new bombs for Ukraine drones which will use a dive bomber tatics like Ju-87 stuka and after release of bomb will come back to operator so this will be not a suicide drone.
That can easily be done by putting regular bombs (vice guided) on a UAV such as those currently in some OOBs.

The main issue is ...
How many do they have?

It's highly impractical to create a unit and formation for something that exists only in small quantities, i.e. less then say 500.

There are a limited number of unit slots in each OOB (999) and many of the major nations have them filled already since the game covers a 75 year time frame. So what do you remove to add something new?

Take advantage of the ability to purchase units from any OOB and date range via the use of the "Captured" option. If you want you can give the 1946 Soviets an M1A2 SEP Abrams.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 26th, 2023, 03:42 AM

Lieutenant General

I was wondering how such a small drone could take out tanks when it was designed as an anti-personal weapon.

That's because it can't.

The USA is no longer buying them (SB 300) and the SWITCH BLADE 600 is a private venture project NOT BOUGHT by the USA. From the ref.

"The Wrong Tool for the Job?
We have more information and more videos of the Switchblade 300 in Ukraine, where the response has been lukewarm.

This is a different type of war, and the key targets are Russian tanks, air defenses, and artillery for which the anti-personnel Switchblade 300 is unsuited.

A larger version, the Switchblade 600, was promised to Ukraine last year and small numbers have reportedly arrived in the last few weeks. This version was launched as a private venture and has not yet been acquired by the U.S. military. The upsized loitering munition boasts longer range and a more powerful warhead capable of destroying armored vehicles."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...073fc8f0&ei=31

I don't know how it's set up for the game against armor, artillery and anti-air sites but as the article suggests it's not been successful against those targets.

It's a "sniper weapon" for precision strikes against people we don't like in the terrorist business etc.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; April 26th, 2023 at 12:35 PM..
Old April 26th, 2023, 05:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Given the range, warhead size, and weight of the Switch Blade 300 I really don't see it being any more useful then just replacing it with more 120mm mortar ammo.

That said if you need a couple for an ambush/raid/etc. they could be useful ... BUT ... useful enough to bother buying, storing, maintaining, training in the use of, transporting to the right place at the right time to be used?

Old May 13th, 2023, 04:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DEFEA 2023: Intracom Defense unveils ATTALUS New Era in anti-tank loitering munitions

The Greek company Intracom Defense is a highly acclaimed Defense Systems Company in Greece with an outstanding record of participation in domestic programs and exports to quality-driven international customers. The company utilizes high-end technologies in the design and development of advanced products in the areas of Missile Electronics, Tactical IP Communications, C4I Systems, Surveillance, Hybrid Electric Power Systems, and Unmanned Systems.

The ATTALUS loitering munition has a fixed-wing configuration, with the wings and tail section folding for storage. It features a compact design with a high degree of modularity, allowing for easy transportation and operation in various environments. The airframe of the ATTALUS is made of lightweight composite materials, which contributes to its low weight and high payload capacity.

The loitering munition is powered by an electric motor and features an endurance of up to 42 minutes, enabling it to cover a wide area during its mission. The engine is mounted at the rear of the fuselage and is propelled by a two-bladed propeller.

The Attalus anti-tank loitering munition is a state-of-the-art weapon system designed for high-precision, long-range operations against armored targets. With a length of 1.6 meters and a wingspan of 2.3 meters, the Attalus exhibits a compact and highly aerodynamic design, allowing for ease of transport and deployment in various combat situations.

Weighing in at 13.6 kg (maximum takeoff weight), the Attalus is a lightweight system that packs a potent punch. Its heart is an electric engine, which provides it with an impressive cruise speed of 85 km/h. This speed, coupled with its operational range of 50 km, ensures that the Attalus can rapidly and effectively engage targets, reducing the window of opportunity for enemy countermeasures.

One of the most noteworthy aspects of the Attalus is its ability to accelerate up to 280 km/h when on the final attack run. This high impact speed, combined with its 1.25 kg High-Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) warhead, allows it to penetrate up to 400 mm of Rolled Homogeneous Armor (RHA), a performance indicator that stands on par with many larger and heavier munitions.

The Attalus is equipped with a sophisticated Electro-Optical/Infrared (EO/IR) gimbal sensor, ensuring reliable target acquisition in a wide range of environmental conditions, including day/night and adverse weather scenarios. This, combined with its GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) & INS (Inertial Navigation System), allows for precise navigation and target engagement.

Communications capabilities are also robust, with the Attalus capable of maintaining a secure data link up to 50 km, matching its operational range. This ensures real-time information sharing and command and control, essential for modern network-centric warfare. The service ceiling of the Attalus is 1,500 meters, providing ample altitude for over-the-horizon operations and increased survivability against ground-based air defenses.

In conclusion, the Attalus anti-tank loitering munition is a compact, versatile, and powerful weapon system. Its advanced sensor suite, long-range capabilities, high impact speed, and potent warhead make it a formidable tool against armored targets. This, combined with its lightweight and compact dimensions, make the Attalus a valuable addition to any modern battlefield.
From: https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ntent=cmp-true
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old January 22nd, 2024, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Well, this will be where I'll put my defensive anti-drone info alongside what's already here as these issues are "hand in hand" topics.

Some of what's really not being mentioned here;
APS:
"Manufacturers are taking notice already of how readily adaptable hard-kill APSs might be for tackling uncrewed aerial threats. Israel's Elbit Systems says its Iron Fist system "can detect a drone or a loitering munition at around 1.5 km range" and has "successfully engaged drones simulating loitering munitions attack profiles" in testing, according to a story last year from EDR Online.

Iron Fist is a hard-kill APS that uses small active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars as its primary sensors to spot incoming threats and then uses projectiles with explosive warheads fired from small turreted launchers to knock them down. Passive infrared sensors are also an option for use with Iron Fist." From this month.
https://news.yahoo.com/tank-active-p...000944906.html

USA LIDS/USMC MADIS
(Same system overall.) :
"Advantages KuRFS and Coyote bring to the Army’s LIDS

KuRFS:

LIDS is deployable as either mobile or fixed, relocatable platforms.

Multi-mission KuRFS is so accurate, it can detect a 9mm bullet, and it has few false alarms or dropped tracks.

The radar offers flexibility of fixed relocatable (KuRFS) and mobile (Ku720) deployment options.

Precision targeting KuRFS discriminates between actual targets and clutter.

Coyote:

Coyote is able to down drones at longer ranges and higher altitudes than other systems.

Coyote Block 2 kinetic effectors defeat single drones and swarms of varied size and maneuverability.

The Coyote effectors are affordable; therefore, cost-effective to counter UAS threats." From AUG. 2023.
https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/...gainst-drones/

What does "kinetic effectors" sound like to you? That's right, exactly what APS uses. The above testing took place in the Summer of 2022 if I read it correctly. Seen a couple of articles while looking into this that are saying the USA has already fielded them.

I can say for sure that the USMC MADIS will be fielded MAYBE this year, have to re-read the article I saved on MADIS and will post it in here.

There is so much going on defensive systems but to a degree is being "lost" on all the offensive side of the discussion.

Andy and Dons problem will be with some OOB's is where to put it all with all the new "standard" game land and air equipment to come and what's not already in but, ready to be added as they are fielded.

Something I know they are well aware of.

Regards,
Pat