Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
PD wars! (no monkeys allowed) - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default PD wars! (no monkeys allowed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Forcing the purchase of PD instead of units can mess with carefully laid out timelines.
Buying PD > kills black hawks (generally <=5) is rarely worth it, except in very specific circumstances. (ie, You need an instant meat shield where your army of mages is moving to this turn). And the reason for that is specifically because its far too easy to build a raiding thug which will blow through arbitrary PD like it was wet tissue paper. At which point PD really is wasted money.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PD wars! (no monkeys allowed)

PD posts from the Green Dragon Pretender thread moved to this thread.
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Radio_Star, kindly dial down the insulting tone. It doesn't really serve much of purpose. If HoneyBadger's ideas are really as bad you seem to think, it should not be much trouble to show them up as such.

The points in favor and against retaining the PD mechanics as they are are interesting enough. Personally I've found PD as it currently is suitable for what I need, though some nations definitely get more bang for buck than others. Changing PD mechanics in any deep manner is not going to happen, though. You'd probably need to break a lot more things than it's worth to get there.

As a final note, I do not wish to need to moderate this thread again. Anyone who makes it necessary does so at his or her own peril.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

If you just want stronger PD for SP, I suppose that's fine. I'm not sure that would make for a particularly fun game (hordes of AI chaff+huge AI PD... ugh) but you could certainly do it. I'm not sure who would be interested in doing such a mod, but it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do if one was so inclined. It's just a matter of selecting a few nations and switching a few numbers around. It shouldn't take more than ~an hour per era, if you have a good plan for what units you want to use. You could even add in typically summoned units in small numbers at 20+ PD if you were so inclined.

The PD helper spells aren't THAT bad... they probably aren't that good in the bang per buck department, though.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Arent the PD helper spells dependent on domain strength and sometimes terrain?
It becomes not a question of whether its good or not, but how good can it be. A little bit of help is good. But with Domain 10 and 125 PD you wouldnt want it to make a castle impossible to take.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM

Corporal

Radio_Star is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Radio_Star, kindly dial down the insulting tone. It doesn't really serve much of purpose. If HoneyBadger's ideas are really as bad you seem to think, it should not be much trouble to show them up as such.

The points in favor and against retaining the PD mechanics as they are are interesting enough. Personally I've found PD as it currently is suitable for what I need, though some nations definitely get more bang for buck than others. Changing PD mechanics in any deep manner is not going to happen, though. You'd probably need to break a lot more things than it's worth to get there.

As a final note, I do not wish to need to moderate this thread again. Anyone who makes it necessary does so at his or her own peril.
I've been Shrap'd!
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Whether the "PD helper" spells are worth it depends on the number of provinces you own and if your opponent is a raiding nation that could be hampered by that type of summon. Situational but certainly useful.

I've found mechanical militia very nice when fighting light cloud trapezing thugs, both as a deterrent and actual defence. It makes those vanjarls, early eagle kings, siddhe lords etc. just a bit too fragile to risk with minor equipment. That's worth it in itself sometimes.

I just wish they scaled with PD, that would be cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fantomen For This Useful Post:
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

AdmiralZhao is on a distinguished road

In my current game, mechanical militia paid for itself in the first turn in terms of the number of raiding groups it surprised and killed. It's also great as an offensive raiding tool, since each province you take now requires a medium size force in order to retake.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdmiralZhao For This Useful Post:
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

PD is far from useless, it's just situational.

It is good for:

Beefing up a province for an impending attack where you have no other way to ferry units there next turn.

PD make great arrow catchers.

Buying 1 PD at least gives you a scouting report of the army that just trashed your province.

Some nations have pretty great PD. If I remember right, Mictlan gets Jag Warriors > 20 PD. LA Pythium has some pretty tough units in their PD as well.

PD becomes useless when someone tries to use it in place of mobile troops.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:05 AM

First Lieutenant

WingedDog is on a distinguished road

I should say I don't play games with binding NAPs, so my vision of PD significance might differ from point of view of people who play such games.

Usually, when I plan to attack another nation I expect to take a decent number of provinces in a surprise attack during first turn of war, when opponent isn’t ready. I consider information about enemy PD to be one of the most important ones while planning.

Let’s suppose I have 4 poorly equipped flying thugs and 2 well equipped ones. And let’s suppose enemy has PD of one or such in all his provinces. Small squads of mine take 3 bordering provinces, 6 flying thugs take provinces within flight reach, and 5 provinces beyond their reach I take with ‘Arouse hunger’. Result: If nothing extraordinary happens enemy loses to me 14 provinces in single turn.

Now let’s suppose enemy has 20 PD in all his provinces. I need far larger squads in order to take border provinces, poorly equipped thugs have small chances against PD 20, and ghouls from arouse hunger have none. Result: I can confidently take only 2 provinces with 2 well equipped thugs, so I’d rather find another target.

Last edited by WingedDog; September 22nd, 2010 at 06:34 AM..