.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Sergeant

Legendary League is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power Beyond Comprehension aka "My power is still raising!" newbie game - Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
Yeah, that was a terrible last turn for me.

My pretender dies, I lose one expansion army, my elephant mercenaries get cut to pieces by troglodytes and only one commander makes it out alive. Eurgh.
I'm so sorry!

I'm sure we can hunt some whales together to make you feel better.
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power Beyond Comprehension aka "My power is still raising!" newbie game - Running

Boy and I thought I have had some rough early turns.
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
Yeah, that was a terrible last turn for me.

My pretender dies, I lose one expansion army, my elephant mercenaries get cut to pieces by troglodytes and only one commander makes it out alive. Eurgh.
Ouch. That is very unfortunate indeed. Didn't your pretender just die in Madness Of Kings also? Maybe you have a disease that kills pretenders? If so, please don't breath on mine, I am kind of fond of him ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfreeek View Post
Well I started on a wastleland surrounded by 3 wastelands and a mountain >.<. Most land within 2 is rubbish and I'm bumping into neighbours.

Still, I'll pootle along and see how it goes.
That is .... nasty. Although I think wastelands tend to have good magic sites? If so, assuming you survive to the mid game, the position could start to come good.

Speaking as one of your neighbors, I wish you nothing but love, happy bunnies and tummy rubs. Hopefully we can live in peace, and find some other poor b*stard to murderinate instead.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:32 AM

Corporal

Rejakor is on a distinguished road

In MadnessKings my pretender died of an astral 1 mage casting paralyze

So yeah i'm pretty sure i'm cursed

EDIT: to put this into perspective, it was an elemental immune MR 22 prot 30 before buffs gorgon with twelve attacks and 80 hp (inside friendly dominion).

****ing cursed.

EDIT EDIT: To put this even more into perspective, this was end of year 2. So it was a full gear SC with petrification end of year 2. Which is terrifying. And I got it killed.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM

First Lieutenant

Yeah, paralyze really is an SC killer. Oh well, at least you aren't locked in a major war to the death with a neighbor who is convinced that you backstabbed them. Oh, wait ....

Yep, you are cursed! :-)
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Just to add my two cents: this board does feel very crowded. I'd love to know where all the open provinces are. Dropping close to other capitals isn't that big of an issue so long as you also have some room to expand elsewhere. But it seems as if everyone is getting cut off, implying that someone else has way too much room.

This is one thing that makes wraparound maps so nice -- any big empty areas are easily reachable by several players, so nobody can monopolize them.

Anyway, let's play it out for now, and see where we are in a little bit. If we get into steamroller territory we can re-decide then.
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Corporal

megawidget is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I like this map either. It doesn't help that this has probably been the most awful start for me...
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawidget View Post
I don't think I like this map either. It doesn't help that this has probably been the most awful start for me...
I didn't realise that Atlantis was taking it in the shorts too. What's going on down in the fishy deeps of the world?
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Corporal

megawidget is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it's not a spoiler since you can tell from the score graphs, but I guess all I can safely say is that I have gotten more than my share of unlucky events (including a shark attack second turn that wiped out my income)... and that's not even the worst of my troubles.

This game is nothing but an exercise in frustration and I'd really rather be doing pretty much anything else. It doesn't help that I've started a new job and playing a completely-not-fun game out of sheer duty is hardly a priority. Going AI though would just hand all the water provinces to R'lyeh on a silver platter and be unfair to everyone else.

It's interesting though that all of my first three games suck. I've had horrible starts in this one and ALearningExperience that pretty much doom me, and through no fault of my own. My start in WhatCouldGoWrong was my "best", in a sense that the worst random **** that happened to me was having the bad luck of building my first castle on a disease-causing site and finding nothing of use anywhere else while other nations somehow get vastly improved gem income and who knows what else -- and there I'm getting dogpiled due to player shenanigans.

Bleh.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Sergeant

Legendary League is on a distinguished road

Bad starts are a given in every game. Had it happen to me several times.

My expansion is also less than ideal, but eh.