Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Night of the Long Knives? - Page 9 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $7.00

   







Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Lingchih's Avatar

Lingchih Lingchih is offline
General
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 3,207
Thanks: 54
Thanked 60 Times in 35 Posts
Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Thanks to the Mods for not banning me, and allowing this discussion to continue. It does have it's place on the board.
__________________
Be forewarned, anything I post is probably either 1) Sophomoric humor, 2) Satire, 3) A gross exaggeration of the power I currently possess, 4) An outright lie, or 5) Drunken ramblings.

I occasionally post something useful.
  #82  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM

Trumanator Trumanator is offline
BANNED USER
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tacoma WA, USA
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 103
Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Sombre was not banned for one post, nor for one private message. He was banned because he continually violated, and later indicated that he would not abide by, the terms of use we set forth for these boards. Apparently there are many of you who think, 1) we should have no rules or, 2) we should let Sombre have his own set of rules. I have absolutely no wish to hurt the community (what does our company stand to gain from that?), nor am I interested in any kind of power-play. But Shrapnel Games will not successfully run a company forum with either points 1 or 2 above in play.
So the new story is that you banned him because of a perceived lack of respect for the rules. So somehow the fact that he didn't give a rat's @ss about your two bit warnings and almighty mod powers made an instant perma ban somehow applicable under this rule:
Quote:
A permanent ban can be applied for any reason if the Admins determine it is warranted to promote the harmony of the community.
Great job, I can see that you've successfully promoted harmony in the community. Leaving that aside however, tell me how in the hell his private communications with you could possibly affect community harmony? Obviously they can't because they're PRIVATE. So really, you're just trying to cover up the fact that you broke you're own policies because you couldn't stand someone who didn't "Respect mah authority," or you violated your own policies that called for a preliminary temp ban.
  #83  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM

Rookierookie Rookierookie is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 141
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rookierookie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Sombre was not banned for one post, nor for one private message. He was banned because he continually violated, and later indicated that he would not abide by, the terms of use we set forth for these boards. Apparently there are many of you who think, 1) we should have no rules or, 2) we should let Sombre have his own set of rules. I have absolutely no wish to hurt the community (what does our company stand to gain from that?), nor am I interested in any kind of power-play. But Shrapnel Games will not successfully run a company forum with either points 1 or 2 above in play.
So the new story is that you banned him because of a perceived lack of respect for the rules. So somehow the fact that he didn't give a rat's @ss about your two bit warnings and almighty mod powers made an instant perma ban somehow applicable under this rule:
Quote:
A permanent ban can be applied for any reason if the Admins determine it is warranted to promote the harmony of the community.
That's not a new story. That has been her original point all along.
  #84  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Squirrelloid Squirrelloid is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,157
Thanks: 69
Thanked 116 Times in 73 Posts
Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
I have a thick skin, and I'm actually quite impressed how some of you have managed to put words in my mouth. Sombre was not banned for one post, nor for one private message. He was banned because he continually violated, and later indicated that he would not abide by, the terms of use we set forth for these boards. Apparently there are many of you who think, 1) we should have no rules or, 2) we should let Sombre have his own set of rules. I have absolutely no wish to hurt the community (what does our company stand to gain from that?), nor am I interested in any kind of power-play. But Shrapnel Games will not successfully run a company forum with either points 1 or 2 above in play.
First, I want to make clear I'm not trying to bash anyone. I have no personal agenda here. I don't even personally like Sombre, although I do respect the modding work he's done.

What does bother me is that what you say doesn't match up with either what he's said (and I have no reason to believe he's lied) nor his infraction record. He had a warning that was long since expired, and the -10pts he received from the current violation that sparked this entire chain of events. That's not an especially 'continual' problem. If Sombre was such a continual problem, why doesn't he have a long record of disciplinary action? Where are the temp bans?

I don't like being lied to, and I don't like seeing people treated unfairly. Unfortunately, all the evidence available suggests that is exactly what is happening here. If you want to change people's minds, its going to require actual evidence. As a trained scientist, I for one tend to prefer the hypothesis that the evidence actually supports.
__________________
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels.
--Chip 4:2

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
  #85  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Annette's Avatar

Annette Annette is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Posts: 1,319
Thanks: 22
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Annette is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
So the new story is that you banned him because of a perceived lack of respect for the rules. So somehow the fact that he didn't give a rat's @ss about your two bit warnings and almighty mod powers made an instant perma ban somehow applicable under this rule:
Quote:
A permanent ban can be applied for any reason if the Admins determine it is warranted to promote the harmony of the community.
Great job, I can see that you've successfully promoted harmony in the community. Leaving that aside however, tell me how in the hell his private communications with you could possibly affect community harmony? Obviously they can't because they're PRIVATE. So really, you're just trying to cover up the fact that you broke you're own policies because you couldn't stand someone who didn't "Respect mah authority," or you violated your own policies that called for a preliminary temp ban.
New story? How so? My post from last night:

I'm the one who banned Sombre. Don't blame our volunteer moderators, please. We're all very saddened by this and don't take it lightly. We (Shrapnel Games' staff) understand that Sombre has made many positive contributions to these boards. On the other hand, he/she continually violated the rules we have established and expect every forum member to observe. We actually gave some extra rope in this case, encouraging Sombre to continue participating positively without breaking our forum guidelines. Unfortunately, Sombre was not willing to do this.
  #86  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM

Frozen Lama Frozen Lama is offline
BANNED USER
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 868
Thanks: 56
Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

i guess she ran out of drivel to spout and is now reusing her old rhetoric. once again - why no temp bans if it was a continual problem?
  #87  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM

rdonj rdonj is offline
General
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,007
Thanks: 171
Thanked 206 Times in 159 Posts
rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Sombre is hardly the only person with discipline problems on this board... not including maerlande, who has finally gotten his. Sure took him an awful lot of effort to get it, in comparison.
__________________
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
  #88  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Squirrelloid Squirrelloid is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,157
Thanks: 69
Thanked 116 Times in 73 Posts
Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Sombre is hardly the only person with discipline problems on this board... not including maerlande, who has finally gotten his. Sure took him an awful lot of effort to get it, in comparison.
And lets not mention Wikdthots - was any discipline ever handed down about that at all?

Edit: that is, given he was a sockpuppet, did the person responsible suffer *any* consequences?
__________________
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels.
--Chip 4:2

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
  #89  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Baalz's Avatar

Baalz Baalz is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,435
Thanks: 57
Thanked 661 Times in 142 Posts
Baalz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

To those who are angry, I'd like to ask that the discussion be elevated above what I'd expect out of other forums. Regardless of your grievance this isn't accomplishing anything other than making people look like petulant children. If you really feel fed up enough to leave then just do it.

To the admins I'd like to expound on the real reason people are angry, and I alluded to it in my previous post. Most of us identify with Sombre, even if we found him abrasive. He was part of the community and (at least those that are protesting think) he contributed much more than his abrasiveness subtracted. Your actions feel unilateral, arbitrary and an attack on our community. If he had been consistently unpalatable then not only would everyone understand why he was banned, they'd thank you for it. This feels like some outsider decided that enough respect was not paid to him and attacked our community, only to be fully supported by the powers that be. Let me be clear that I don't know or particularly care about the specifics of what happend, I'm just telling you why people are mad as they're not doing a good job articulating it.

It's not that there is a feeling that there should be no rules, it's that the feeling is that how this is enforced is an attack on our community. If you banned Sombre then who else? Obviously Sombre is not coming back, and I'd expect that several other people are gone for good over this...and the feeling is why in the hell are you swinging a big club around like that when nobody else saw a problem? This whole thing could have been greatly mitigated by publicly asking, then warning, then being clear about consequences for further behavior and bringing the community along with the decision. *Obviously* important members of the community deserve special consideration - they are what makes the community. If there is a compelling reason that one of the pillars of a community needs to be removed you can't just unilaterally do it with no transparency...unless you want considerable backlash.
  #90  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Foodstamp's Avatar
Foodstamp Foodstamp is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 2,059
Thanks: 229
Thanked 106 Times in 71 Posts
Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

This thread has been very entertaining. Let's wrap it up with a ban to Frozen Lama for personal attacks on a moderator so he can join his buddies on the free forums.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH NEXT TURN.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2022, Shrapnel Games, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.