.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 27th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Private

karnoza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire", veterans-only game, MA. In progress, midgame...

Hello everybody. As a newcomer pretender god I'd like to suggest peace to each other alive pretender except Ermor who seems to be fond of undead.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:29 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire", veterans-only game, MA. In progress, midgame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
God dammit Kurtiza! That was horrifically annoying. Please stay out of my war with Pythium.
Well Corwin, looks like BL saved your ars on the south front this turn. My plans got quite spoiled by BL's little stunt. It was sort of a continues plan, that initial wave was a suicide run. It worked well enough I might add, although, once again, the AI failed to cast a spell for me, riggor mortis this time.
Yeap, I've seen BL going armageddon on your a*ss south of the island. A bit of overkill but nicely done. Its a pity all your troops were undead in that battle Executor, your battlefields have always been an important source of death gem income for my nation in this game, delivered by my little ravens...

However I am not sure how did it save my *** in the south. Your initial undead wave that you've thrown at me this turn should not have been unaffected by BL actions farther south. And I have wiped out that wave with no real losses on my side, except transformning 100+ of my chaff wolfes into chaff soulless. Which means your important bottleneck castle would have fallen anyway, as it did this turn. Your next wave of undeads, if it will arraive, will be delayed by one turn due to BL raiding island castle this turn, but one turn doesn't really make a difference in that particular local military theater now that I've secured a bottleneck castle on our southern front.

Quote:
Not a bad turn overall. Not quite what I expected but still. I don't think either of us lost anything important this turn.
Really? Interesting. Because I am pleased with this turn myself. I am on offensive on 4 out of 5 our fronts, and have captured two of your castles this turn.

Of course it leaves our 5th and the most important central front, where situation is very different and where you are on offesive. Frankly I am very surprised that you haven't attacked with larger force there, after you have delivered a heavy blow to my troops there last turn. The troops that you have moved forward this turn are barely able to scratch my castle's walls that are being repaired by my defenders, while you have 4500 undeads sitting next to my besieged castle, according to my scouts. But I am not complaining if you are ok with giving me time that I badly need to regroup and rebuild my defences there that you have managed to shatter last turn.

Nevertheless overall I agree with you, neither of us lost anything important this turn. And both your regenerating SCs have managed to escape after either killing number of my troops, while your 3rd SC has routed my small communion.

Quote:
Oh, you beat me to the uniques, I really wanted the Scepter of Corruption.
Yeap. You have beaten me to the Pocket Lich though.

Quote:
BTW, that's what, 1,2,3,4,5... 6! fronts for me ATM.
Well, I hope to kick you out from the northern continent in the coming turns. If I will succeed in these efforts, it will eleminate 2 of our fronts, making things easier for you.

Of course, should Jotuns decide to jump on me, as I suspect they will sometime soon, or should you manage to achieve a breakthrough on our central front, where you are pilling a tidal wave of 4.5K+ troops against my weakened defences, things could get ugly fast for my nation.

One thing for sure - next few turns are going to be very intense...

P.S. BTW can Dom3 engine handle 4K+ units in one battle?

Last edited by Corwin; December 28th, 2010 at 04:39 AM..
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

The army lost in BL's lands was of no importance, I expected as much, doe I hoped he wouldn't rush in blindly, or at least try to invade former Ulms lands.

The raiding Yaksha or whatever that was is what's annoying me. That one turn set back really hurts me, and I almost lost all those mages and a Tart who retreated from the battle cause of it.
You have indeed secured that one fort, yes, however there are still 4-5 forts around that one and an immense army on the border, while you have no back up.
In any case, the suicide run achieved what is was supposed to do, I only lost half a K of useless chaff.

As for the water fort, I can't even count that as a loss, water forts represent nothing to land nations. I had hoped to kill those SC's of yours with my Tartarian, however that Troll King proved more than I could chew. I'm still not sure how he managed to almost kill the Tartarian, he did have very high defense but that shouldn't have mattered that much with the 12 attacks from the gloves, and stone bird I think?

The north does worry me a bit, but I don't think your forces are sufficient to win you that front, hopefully.

As for the central front, I do not need the fort to overrun your lands.
Perhaps I should have sent more troops but I couldn't risk my forces retreating due to chaff again. I wanted to be sure your SC's would get dealt with if they decided to make yet another stand.

And I like it this way, if you go in this turn you go in blind, you can't teleport on top of me, I have the first round so I'm rather confident, doe I welcome any attempt to storm, it would be much easier than for me to try and squeeze trough a bottle neck castle gate.

I guess you didn't try to make the Tartarian Chains,

So far you are clearly winning and have a much greater lead on me, but perhaps things can still change.
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
The army lost in BL's lands was of no importance, I expected as much, doe I hoped he wouldn't rush in blindly, or at least try to invade former Ulms lands.

The raiding Yaksha or whatever that was is what's annoying me. That one turn set back really hurts me, and I almost lost all those mages and a Tart who retreated from the battle cause of it.
You have indeed secured that one fort, yes, however there are still 4-5 forts around that one and an immense army on the border, while you have no back up.
In any case, the suicide run achieved what is was supposed to do, I only lost half a K of useless chaff.

As for the water fort, I can't even count that as a loss, water forts represent nothing to land nations. I had hoped to kill those SC's of yours with my Tartarian, however that Troll King proved more than I could chew. I'm still not sure how he managed to almost kill the Tartarian, he did have very high defense but that shouldn't have mattered that much with the 12 attacks from the gloves, and stone bird I think?

The north does worry me a bit, but I don't think your forces are sufficient to win you that front, hopefully.

As for the central front, I do not need the fort to overrun your lands.
Perhaps I should have sent more troops but I couldn't risk my forces retreating due to chaff again. I wanted to be sure your SC's would get dealt with if they decided to make yet another stand.

And I like it this way, if you go in this turn you go in blind, you can't teleport on top of me, I have the first round so I'm rather confident, doe I welcome any attempt to storm, it would be much easier than for me to try and squeeze trough a bottle neck castle gate.

I guess you didn't try to make the Tartarian Chains,

So far you are clearly winning and have a much greater lead on me, but perhaps things can still change.
I see. You are right, BL did screw your plans there. But as you said, I have no incoming reinforcements in the south, so one turn delay would not make much difference. And unfortunately 1 turn is not enough for me to break your lightly defended castles there, before your next undead wave would arrive from the south-west.

However I can and will teleport in whatever troops are needed to meet your huge approaching army, as I've been doing there for the last few turns, to replaces losses your continuous attacks have been dealing to my forces there. Without these replacements you would certainly break through on that front by now. And indirectly it contributed to your major victory on our central front last turn, since I've decided back then that my central front with all its artifacts and SCs will hold, and I've diverted some of the resources to the south. The bonecrashing blow from you there last turn has proven that I have underestimated your forces and your tactic on the central military theater.

Man, with total war such as ours it's as much about global strategy and managing various resources between multiple fronts as it is about tactics and troops. It can be quite time consuming but it is a lot of fun, especially against great opponent such as yourself.

As for our water front - I understand that you are not counting it as real loss. I would probably feel the same in your shoes.
For me however it's a important step to solidify my tentative hold on the water realm, since now I finally control my first underwater castle. (I do not have nature gems to spare to conjure it underwater like you did with dozen of your castles, not since you have overwritten my Oak global long time ago)

I can use this castle as a base for my further UW operations, or as a defensive stronghold should Sea of Ice melts and seas would be crawling once again with your hordes of undeads.

I think your tartarian with all its crazy attack would have a decent chance of killing my Sea King on 1 vs 1 battle. But he was distracted by all my other troops, and my Sea King had support of nearby Water Queen who has joined the battle a bit later, IIRC. Perhaps next time?

About central front - I understand your reasoning, it makes sense. Still I am glad I have one more turn to prepare for the tidal wave of your main army, before it breaches the walls of my castle. Trust me, I would love to make another stand under the castle walls this turn, but I simply didn't have enough troops and SCs available to meet you at the walls, your "loss" there last turn has obliterated or scattered my defenses I couldn't afford another defeat or another Pyrrhic victory, should you've decide to send forward all your legions this turn, as I thought you are very likely to do. So instead I have chosen to let you regain initiative and besiege my castle, while bringing in more troops and resources from across my realm. That tiny army of undead and mortal chaff backed by 5 tartarians and various mages that you have send forward this turn is clearly not enough to break through my nearby eastern army, especially not with all nearby flying and teleporting SCs that I have been scrambling to bring there since your last turn attack, and that will be arriving this turn. Although you are welcome to try.

And with castle walls barely scratched, it looks like I will have another turn there to prepare my defenses, before major showdown with your forces. (I only hope that dom3 engine will be able to handle the load of your 4-5K undeads, once you'll decide to send them forth. Will it? )

BTW your most recent communions seem to come in significantly less numbers than they have been showing in the beginning of the war. I can only hope we are approaching the bottom of the almost endless barrel from which you pulled these scary half-hundred strong communions, are we? My own communions have suffered badly as well in our battles but I had less communion mages to begin with. But then again you can rebuild your communions faster since you have managed to castle your entire realm and you have shorter lines of cummunications.

Oh, and btw it was nice move intercepting some of my reinforcements by teleporting your carefully equipped tartarian on the heads of my approaching communion and their troops. Didn't think you had guts to attack it blindly, but you did and you have managed to pull it off. Fortunately no mages were lost, and almost half of them have retreated to the castle where they were heading before attack, but it was very annoying and it will certainly delay some of my reinforcements. Congratulations, well planned and executed. From now on I will make sure to protect all my magical convoys against your protected-vs-all-elements teleporting tartarians.

Oh, and damn you for suddenly deciding to raise PD on all your lands to significant level! It cost me two provinces and bunch of wolves and principles. Someone has way too much money on his hands...

All in all - I agree with you, I do seem to have an upper hand in this war so far. But as you've said it can certainly change and change quickly. Both gains and losses on both sides have been relatively limited so far. And the largest and tides-changing battles are yet to come.

Last edited by Corwin; December 28th, 2010 at 07:09 AM..
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Executor obviously does not know how to play Ermor. Heh. ,I guess I saw that when I saw his bless. Good game Corwin, and congrats on the win.

And oh yeah, I am back from holiday. I will play my turns out.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Executor obviously does not know how to play Ermor. Heh. ,I guess I saw that when I saw his bless. Good game Corwin, and congrats on the win.

And oh yeah, I am back from holiday. I will play my turns out.
Thank you Lingchih. But as for Executor - I think he is doing very well, considering that the odds were against him from the beginning of this war. Since the beginning of hostilities I had lead on him in everything except gold income, number of castles, and armies. Ermor also has to fight 3 nations at once. (And BTW I have been secretely providing cost-free support to BL since the beginning of this game - on a limited scale, about 50 gems worth total of items that BL really needed in their defence against undead invasions, but still it must have helped)

Nevertheless despite all that Executor has managed to inflict significant damage on my forces since the beginning on the war, and he de-facto won our largest battle so far. Not to mention he has killed 4 of 5 my SCs, and I have yet to nail a single one of his. (this is partly due to him mostly using his SCs as part of the huge armies rather then as raiders, and also him being less agressive then me with their depolyment overall, but still). Finally Sea of Ice really screwed Ermor, both on our fronts and on all Ermors fronts against Ulm and BL.
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM

General

Yeah, I could be wrong about Executor. My intel is not great anymore. Still, I haven't seen him use the battlefield breaking thousands that Ermor should use.

Old December 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Lingchih, I didn't start in this game, I took over around turn 5-10ish. And than again I was absent from about turn 25-35, so I'm not sure what to think of your remarks. I think I did reasonably good.

As for game breaking numbers, that all falls into water once you get stuck at 3 choke provinces such as I did, and can't even use the seas. I can't risk using more than 500 undead per battle to try and breach the fronts. Ermor is kind of a one trick nation, and I didn't get lucky with almost any indie mages.

Well **** me, that was a dreadful turn a? I guess you got some hurting too there Corwin, I assume that didn't go as well as you'd hoped? I got a load of your items and artifacts from the central front. Good thing I set all my units to guard commander or the results might have been far worse for me. And a fairly lousy decision to cast army of lead, but I didn't expect wrathful skies to be honest...

Who escaped btw, only the water queen or did I miss someone else?
I hate those damn things with their crazy regeneration, they are far superior to the rest of the ERoys.

I sure as hell didn't expect that crazy Tartarian landing in the back, also, why did you give an S2 Tartarian the forbidden light?

Heh, and gate stone? I guess you aren't holding back any more, when you bring it, you really bring it huh?
Not sure I can match all of that stuff...

Oh, and that damn mage of mine used up 3S gems for soul drain, not two, so the Tartarian and himself died instead of casting VoR... sigh
At least they took a fair amount of your troops and mages with them.

BTW, did you really have to steel my mercs? You expected I'd storm Ulm didn't you? Luckily I forgot some gems.
Not sure what happened to the other mercs doe..?

Well, 11 forts under siege this turn, thank you BL and indipendants, and presumably another one about to fall in the water front...

It seems we'll have to take control over Ulm and Bandar fast, they're on the upraise.
I think I preferred the old, more peaceful BL leader.

P.S. Did you like my boxing gang? I think they're pretty awesome
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:19 AM

General

Yes, Executor, I would knock out BL and Ulm as fast as you can. Gives you a fighting chance. Pyth is going to raid you... no stopping that. I would probably pull back from the eastern continent... you can't do much there now.

Old December 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It seems we'll have to take control over Ulm and Bandar fast, they're on the upraise.
I think I preferred the old, more peaceful BL leader.
The proud nation of Ulm shall never fall!