This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Ibology > Approaching Infinity

Old April 18th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Private

OrionM42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stupid Joke

Of course, I would never see such a movie, myself ...

Actually, I had just run into a Limoquee Spaceholme in Sector 27 (for the first time) of my current game. At that point, it was a pretty easy guess.

Prize?!? What would you think about providing an additional Options Code (like the April Codes, that you provided in another discussion thread), BUT make this one usable anytime during the month of April? ... AND make it available to ANYONE who looks at this Discussion thread.

That would be kind of a "Win-Win". It would be a Bonus that is available to all, and incentivizes a general browsing of the whole Approaching Infinity Forum, including those discussion threads that aren't necessarily the first interest of many or most players. (I like this kind of Forum; and like the idea of building participation in it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to OrionM42 For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2015, 03:59 PM

First Lieutenant

ibol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stupid Joke

hmm, that sounds interesting.
what would be a worthy prize for a month?
I'd want it to be something different from the existing codes, maybe something that players would see and say, "yes, I want that, but maybe I'll hold off on using it." - something powerful and tempting, but with strategic choice... hmm...

It's 10 days until the next update goes into beta, so there is time to get that implemented for june...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibol For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:50 PM

Private

OrionM42 is on a distinguished road
Medal Re: Stupid Joke

Thank you for giving this your consideration!

I should say that when I spoke of making the Bonus code "usable any time during the month", I really meant: "any ONE time during the month". Beyond that, I really hadn't thought too much about the specifics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibol View Post
I'd want it to be something different from the existing codes, maybe something that players would see and say, "yes, I want that, but maybe I'll hold off on using it." - something powerful and tempting, but with strategic choice
Great thinking!

One idea I've had is to give the players one opportunity to exercise the code during a specific time frame (say: June) and get the choice to select from one of three offered devices. For example, in my current game (Sector 30) I would love to have the "Crew Toroid", but have not been able to purchase one, or craft one. On other occasions, I would have killed for the "Artifact Catalog", or even a collection of say 50 random crafting parts. There are always things you need. And getting a choice -- one item of 3 offered, or 2 items of 5 offered, is attractive, and spurs a somewhat strategic decision.

I think perhaps that getting a ship component (weapon or shield) might be trickier, because at any given point in a game, a specific weapon or shield might either be too powerful (and un-balance the game) or too weak (and therefore not attractive). Also some devices (mine sweepers and ram scoops come to mind) already seem to be readily available. And there is a magnitude issue here -- to make the bonus attractive, but not too powerful.

So anyways, Ibol, you are the creative genius (and I mean that sincerely) behind this game; and I think that you could make the best judgment as to what sort of bonus code is most appropriate, and do-able.

Personally, I would be totally happy with anything that adds a small-to-medium measure of added *FUN* to the game; which is available to all players who are presently playing; for the one game that they are currently playing. As I noted I also like the idea of incentivizing interest (and participation) in the whole of the AI Forum. Thanks again! ... ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrionM42 For This Useful Post: