.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What other games complement your Dominions 3?

Romance of the Three Kingdom XI is a great strategy game !
The various factions are really unbalanced, so even hardcore players should find something interesting to do. (just try playing Lu Bu !)

Different genre : Sacred 2 is great, full of humor, very complete, a crossbreed between RPG and Hack'n'slash. Just gorgeous. And, best of best, it runs on my 1 gig RAM PC.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Private

DuncanIdaho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifone View Post
a friend of mine has bought the game Armageddon Empires [...]
Has any of you guys tried the game? Is it worth buying?
Yes, it is great. It's single player only but the AI is good and does not cheat.

I love the deck building part, the four factions are really different and there are many ways to victory : you can deploy big armies and crush the enemy or use sabotage and win without a single battle. After a couple of games, you should try with the cults of the wasteland which is a great add on.

However, as there are only four factions in Armageddon Empires, you can find it too short. But it's a good game and the art is great :
http://a.imagehost.org/0102/ae_wp_1.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to DuncanIdaho For This Useful Post:
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

RotK series games are all quite good, though not all available on the PC.

MoO3 is a completely different game, as elaborated on already, the bugs are gone, and the game play is tightened up.

You are still better served embracing the macro management ideas put forth, but frankly, the tools you have and the rebalanceing done make this work out reasonably well once you get past the smallish learning curve on using your DEA plans and ship designs so that you actually get the roys to build what you want.

I've been playing it on medium, and finding it challenging, but easy to beat short of very bad initial placement or galaxy set up. Going up a level makes me really have to work much harder to get to just even with the AIs who come out on top after the initial expansion, and really makes you stress diplomacy to keep yourself from being ganged.

The community at the atari forums is small, but happy to help anyone coming back to the game.

MoO3 really destroys the other space 4x games in my opinion. GC2 is just silly at some point, SE5 completely lacking in my opinion, and SotS is a good one, but lacks significant depth. I've never played SOASE so have no comment on it.

Of course they are all different from each other, and as such have their own appeals depending on each persons own likes.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Tnx Duncan, I've given a look around and seems that they have even a forum now, thing that Vic didn't put up for a quite long time, so I could eventually solve there my questions on which boni (or bonuses, whatever ) are cumulative and which are not, and which is the difference between the Consume and the Flesh tactic cards of the Xenopods...

I'll still gladly wait another bit hoping for an eventual price reduction, the game starts becoming a little old and while I like to support indie developers 30$ seems still a bit too much for it

Last edited by Tifone; January 26th, 2009 at 02:06 PM..
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Quote:
Yes, it is great. It's single player only but the AI is good and does not cheat.

I love the deck building part, the four factions are really different and there are many ways to victory : you can deploy big armies and crush the enemy or use sabotage and win without a single battle. After a couple of games, you should try with the cults of the wasteland which is a great add on.

However, as there are only four factions in Armageddon Empires, you can find it too short. But it's a good game and the art is great :
Yeah, I second this, Armageddon Empires is a fun game, it's too bad there isn't a MP component. That game would gain an immense amount of replayability past the "ok, I figured out how the AI thinks" point that way and just screams for MP. Still, I got my money's worth out of it, mostly just lamenting the potential I see there. I'm gonna have to go pick it back up and play some more.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

To the people who are promoting MOO3 - I'd love to play a Moo game again but MOO3 seemed crippled by a handful of really serious problems. The foremost, in my opinion, was the inability to even detect the composition of enemy fleets in other systems. Has that been fixed?
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road

atm.

Battle for Wesnoth (Open Source, Turnbased fantasy Strategy with RP elements)
OpenTyrian (Open Source, Remake of the Original Tyrian - Arcade)
Quakewars (FPS)
Lost Labyrinth (Open Source - Rogue Game).

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by licker View Post
RotK series games are all quite good, though not all available on the PC.
Well, for Kohei aniversary they've put RotK XI on PC. (I don't know if it is a limited edition). The system of action points is nice, as well as the context. It was available in store in france, so I think you can find it pretty much anywhere.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Sergeant

hEad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhawk View Post
To the people who are promoting MOO3 - I'd love to play a Moo game again but MOO3 seemed crippled by a handful of really serious problems. The foremost, in my opinion, was the inability to even detect the composition of enemy fleets in other systems. Has that been fixed?
You can see what the mission of the taskforces are in any system which you have previously visited. i.e SR LR IF etc, but you cant see individually what gear is on the ships. No biggie really, if you know what tech they have you can make an educated guess as to what weapons you will face.

Double click on the system - check the right hand column- there are two tabs, one of them tells you the taskforces currently in the system. (just in case you didn't know.. )

And there are no serious problems left - its a different game matie!
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Quote:

Loved the theme and I messed around with the demo but seemed like it really needed an Auto-resolve for some of those minor combats. Eventually I got tired of clicking and figured I wouldn’t enjoy the game
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.