This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old October 19th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

The only way to effectively counter Turtling aside from turning off the tech that allows it, would be to allow players to send ships to those systems locked off by allowing them to traverse the space between them. In steps light speed, faster than light, and so on.
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Alternative 1. Interstellar FTL travel is possible, and it's none too slow to prevent turtle-breaker fleets from having to spend decades in interstellar space.
Result: Everyone's going to have fleets scooting around in interstellar space to avoid WP defenses.
End result: WPs reduced to civilian transport networks only, system defense becomes a b**ch, borders change faster than you can keep track of, fleets start popping up and disappearing everywhere etc.

Alternative 2. Interstellar FTL travel is possible, and it's not too fast to avoid the mess of the End Result of Alternative 1.
Result: People still use WPs.
End result: When you dispatch a turtlebreaker fleet, it'll be rather severely outdated by the time it reaches the turtler, and he'll sweep it aside even though he's outnumbered 3 to 1. To build a fleet capable of breaking a turtle, you'd have to devote your entire production over several years to this goal, and you'll end up dead as the other empires'll take advantage of this to invade.

Alternative 3. Interstellar FTL travel is impossible. System grav shields have an on/off button.
Result: SE as we know it.
End result: Turtlers gain vast amounts of power as they can now strike out from a turtled system without fear of retribution.

Alternative 4. Interstellar FTL travel is impossible. System grav shields have no on/off button.
End result: People will still resort to turtling.

Alternative 5. Interstellar FTL travel is impossible. System grav shields use up vast quantities of resources each turn.
End result: Turtlers will not be able to sustain a turtle if they don't have a nice resource base spread out across several systems. Turtles will become a lot harder, but not impossible.

Alternative 6. Interstellar FTL travel is impossible. System grav shields only last for a set amount of turns after which they fizzle. The structure can be scrapped.
End result: Turtlers will have to deal with a vulnerable period every so often, unless they synchronize queues on multiple planets.

Alternative 7. Interstellar FTL travel is impossible. System grav shields only last for a set amount of turns after which they fizzle. The structure cannot be scrapped.
Result: Non-turtlers using a system grav to prevent a solar nuke from going off will have to deal with the fact that the slot they use to build the grav is lost.
End result: Turtlers will have to deal with the fact that eventually, they'll run out of space in their system, at which point the entire system becomes utterly useless, unless he's got a few planet-killers, planet-creators and colonizers tucked away somewhere. Nuke all planets, create new ones and rebuild your empire. Vulnerable period lasts longer and turtlers are more vulnerable, however as stated above non-turtlers will be more vulnerable to solar nukes and planet-killers.

Take your pick.
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Sergeant

Emperor's Child is on a distinguished road

I've yet to get to a point in a game where turtlers are a problem, but if this is the case, why not counter with another facility that can pierce the grav shield. In order to be fair to the Turtler, they should get some warning that their grav shield is being assaulted. Maybe something like it takes several turns (years?)to burn through during which the turtle-ee is given warnings.

Maybe another tactic would be to give an intel project the ability to target Grav Shield Facilities.

Again, I've never experienced a "turtler", but a on/off switch is not mutch different from building a separate grav shield facility and then halting the construction one turn from completion. This is pretty much the same effect as an on/off switch.
Old October 20th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Private

R.Daneel is on a distinguished road

Quest for Ship And captain. To increase Exp. and Found Technology and misterius things. (fully moddable)

Possibility you can assign a specific captain or crew to a ship to boost his capacity.

Naturally Full stat to captain and crew...

This add open the door to new rpg (stng mod will benefit)
Tank you
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

disclaimer: post made under some frustration.

What would be interesting is some way to tell ships to attack the rear column support vessels in an enemy fleet. They'd have to get through the warships first, but they could make a suicide run against the minesweepers and supply ships. I just spent an hour or so trying to figure out how in SE4 to no luck.
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Sergeant

Emperor's Child is on a distinguished road

I would really like to see in SEV the ships go where the little lines showing their path says they are going. I've noticed on many occasions that ships go by different routes over long distances, usually due to some warp point that has a tagged minefield or something similar in their displayed route.

Recently in a game my assault fleet was on my side of a warp point, the order was given to jump into the enemy system and take a planet, and the next turn I find they had gone the OPPOSITE direction back into my own sector. The opposite side of the warp point has a minefield, so the fleet I'm sure was taking a path around it. The problem is that the course I thought they were taking was displayed as going through the warp point when in fact the computer was taking them around another route. In fact, when I clicked on the battlegroup, their laid out course still showed them going back to the warp point and going through even though all the ships were moving directly away from that particular warp point.

Anyhow, this display of the intended track but going another route when the turn is processed is annoying and counter-intuitive. I'd REALLY like to see this fixed in SEV.
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Emperor's Child said:Again, I've never experienced a "turtler", but a on/off switch is not mutch different from building a separate grav shield facility and then halting the construction one turn from completion. This is pretty much the same effect as an on/off switch.
Not so. An on/off switch would allow the turtler to switch the grav shield off at any given moment without having to wait until the other grav shield's finished, also an on/off switch doesn't (necessarily) cost resources.

I personally prefer Alternative 5. You can't support a turtle without a resource base spanning multiple systems, unless you're in a trinary system with three fully populated, fully exploited sphereworlds. Also, it allows people to still use the shield to prevent an enemy solar nuke from hitting the system, keeping it just long enough to allow a fleet to take out the solar-nuke after which you scrap the shield.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

im sure aaron does not check this list any more (its grown far to long, and there are too many tangents and repetitions)

but maybe some beta testers will catch this and pass it along:

There are two things currently on my wishlist. Fisrt - the ability to blockade wormholes. This would require the game to perform pathfinding to determine if there was another way to get resources back to the homeworld(s), but that sort of thing is already done to check if empires are able to communicate with each other. so it shouldnt be very hard. It could also create a real use for "palace" type facilities, that could act as additional homeworlds for the purposes of pathing systems to supply centers.

As an extension of the above, I would like to see blocades of a system's starport cut off all resource production in the system.

Second - I would be very happy if "can warp" was a component ability. I understand that it is currently a hull ability, (so you can determine wither fighters or certain ship types can warp, or can be carried in cargo), but it would be nice if it was a component ability. so you could add a large component to a ship that was its "warp engine"
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Emperor's Child said:
I would really like to see in SEV the ships go where the little lines showing their path says they are going. I've noticed on many occasions that ships go by different routes over long distances, usually due to some warp point that has a tagged minefield or something similar in their displayed route.

Recently in a game my assault fleet was on my side of a warp point, the order was given to jump into the enemy system and take a planet, and the next turn I find they had gone the OPPOSITE direction back into my own sector. The opposite side of the warp point has a minefield, so the fleet I'm sure was taking a path around it. The problem is that the course I thought they were taking was displayed as going through the warp point when in fact the computer was taking them around another route. In fact, when I clicked on the battlegroup, their laid out course still showed them going back to the warp point and going through even though all the ships were moving directly away from that particular warp point.

Anyhow, this display of the intended track but going another route when the turn is processed is annoying and counter-intuitive. I'd REALLY like to see this fixed in SEV.
You can uncheck the standard "Ships should not enter minefields" <paraphrased> and "Ships should not avoid restricted systems" radio buttons in the Empire Options screen. I also keep all the "Ships should clear orders **" crap turned off too. Micromanagement is my reason to wake up in the morning

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img][img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img]

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au&gt;M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
The only way to effectively counter Turtling aside from turning off the tech that allows it, would be to allow players to send ships to those systems locked off by allowing them to traverse the space between them. In steps light speed, faster than light, and so on.
Or just have the system grav shield not affect WPs being opened or closed. Possibly a toggleable option during game setup.