.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road
Default Wrath of God game mechanics

It struck me earlier today that I actually don't know the precise game mechanics of the WoG ritual but have been going on assumptions made based on how Purgatory works.

For reference, Purgatory is:
10%*myDom chance to affect every hostile undead unit in a province, 6AN fire damage x3 vs undead/demons [so in practice an 18AN attack against every enemy undead in your own dominion]

(where myDom is in [0;10])

as was revealed back in 2007 in this post

My assumption has been that WoG works equivalently in scaling ("most powerfully in provinces where the god has strong dominion") with some base percentage chance to hit to account for hitting enemies "no matter where they are" and that the strength is that of a normal lightning bolt. In other words, my assumption is that it has the form of:

#1: X%*myDom + Y% chance to affect every enemy unit in a province, 10 AN shock attack.

or possibly set up such that it hits weaker in high enemy dominion, but still hits:

#2: X%*dom + Y% chance to affect every enemy unit in a province, 10 AN shock attack.

where myDom is in [0;10], dom is in [-10;10], and X% and Y% are appropriate magical constants >0 (and in case #2, Y% - 10*X% > 0)

As it is way too much trouble to set up a series of experiments to test that assumption or deduce the actual mechanics of WoG if somebody else has already done so or if Kristoffer has revealed the mechanics by (heh) word of god in some thread that a quick search did not turn up, I ask of the forum: Do you know how Wrath of God works (and if so, how) or do you know of cases that invalidate parts of my assumption (e.g. cap on units hit per province, cases of provinces not being hit at all, the attack not being 10AN - e.g. the spell might scale damage by dominion rather than targets hit and still fit the "more powerfully" description - or other things of the sort)