BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSPMBT "house rules"

The people I play with, house rules go in one ear and out the other, so the way I see it "all's fair in love and war". But then again, there are cheaters, so "all's not fair in love and war." On the the other hand Steel Panthers isn't war, or is it? You really have to love the game to make house rules work the way they were meant to. Congrats go out to gamers who play with house rules. Personally, I Don't like'em, unless I make'em. Really hard to enforce them.

Last edited by Dion; May 20th, 2011 at 04:34 PM..
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankinen View Post
Do you guys use any house rules in your human vs human winspmbt games ?

Also, how large games you play regarding the point cost. (18 000pts is largest game i have played this far if i remember right.)

Rules i have been using have been:

-Ban all cluster and bomblet ammunition (too powerful)
-Ban rocket launcher artillery (too powerful)
-Limit size 0 units (too annoying, if there are too much)
-Limit infanfry to something like, 4-5 companies. (No need to limit in desert maps)
-Limit artillery (like 5-10% of total pts.)
-Get some pts limit that you _have to_ put on tanks / MBT's. (something like 30% of total pts or something. The game is named winspMBT after all.)
-If you have gunships / air strikes, you have to tell beforehand that you have them, not what you have or how many. (Frustrating to buy sam's when opponent does not have any targets for them.)

-You can only capture victory hexes with units that have guns and if infantry unit have lost over 50% of their men, you cannot capture hexes with it. Also, you cannot capture hexes with size 0 units.

How you put your victory hexes ?
in the middle of the map ?
what formation etc ?
Here's my list of preferences for SPWW2.

I usually don't use them all, but its a guide for things to discuss before a battle, and of course everything is is negotiable.

Mechanics
1. WinSPWW2 - CD version 4.5
2. Slot XXX
3. Points: 2000 (core force points if Campaign)
4. Turns: 20 (Short battles help preserve core forces in a campaign)
5. Turn rate: At least 7 to 10 turns per week (I am located in the XXX time zone)

Setting
6. Nations: German vs. British (I will play as...)
7. Campaign from: June 1944, to July 1944 (Normandy)
8. Battles: 6 (No obligation to play every battle, only to finish each battle that’s started)
9. Meeting engagement
10. Map: custom map XXX, size: 140x120
11. Visibility: 15-30 (No dust trails)
12. V-hexes customized to more realistic terrain/building objectives (subject to approval)
13. No V-hexes in map centre (10 hex wide ‘no mans land’)
14. Place 10 V-hexes on each side of map on realistic objectives, in 3 to 5 clumps a side
15. V-hex values all set to 100 points each.

Scoring
16. Use the Blitz scoring system
17. Report the results of each battle to The Blitz Ladder (but not the final campaign result)

Reasonably Realistic Battalions
(limits on zero sized units)
18. No more than 1 sniper per Infantry Company
19. No more than 1 MMG or HMG platoon per Infantry Company (unless co. came with more)
20. No more than 2 Anti-Tank guns per Company
21. No more than 2 Infantry Anti-Tank teams per Company (unless co. came with more)
22. No more than 2 Explosives (Booby Traps, Fougasses, Demolition Charges) per Engineer pl.

Artillery
23. Max. 10% artillery (not including AAA, ATk guns, aircraft or direct-fire light mortars)
24. Onboard arty only (unless otherwise agree)
25. No assigning artillery until your first move turn
26. Fast Artillery: OFF
27. No re-supply of rockets, by ammo dumps/trucks/canisters

Other Preferences
28. All realism preferences ON (settings at 100%)
29. Aircraft Availability: Random
30. Gliders or Paratroops must be deployed in the first half of the battle
31. Gliders or Paratroops enter the map from one of the three friendly directions
32. No spotter planes or helicopters
33. No excessive use of Z-fire (area fire). Each unit can only use non-LOS z-fire once per turn
34. No capture of V hexes on last turn (as last move replay unavailable in PBEM campaign)
35. No purchase of allies equipment without agreement
36. Captured equipment: You may purchase an enemy vehicle or crewed gun that surrendered, was abandoned or immobilized, and ended a previous battle undestroyed and overrun (in PBEM campaigns).

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The people I play with, house rules go in one ear and out the other, so the way I see it "all's fair in love and war". But then again, there are cheaters, so "all's not fair in love and war." On the the other hand Steel Panthers isn't war, or is it? You really have to love the game to make house rules work the way they were meant to. Congrats go out to gamers who play with house rules. Personally, I Don't like'em, unless I make'em. Really hard to enforce them.
If you really have opponents that are ignoring rules, I recommend joining one of the wargaming clubs and playing members. The clubs arbitrate rules, and I've rarely had a problem in a club environment.

The two clubs I know of that have WinSP ladders are:

The Blitz

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...lay.php?fid=14

World at War

http://worldatwar.eu/index.php?&lang...location=intro

Cross
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

I personally prefer more general rules. One might think of points in general. For example:
1) Map (size, terrain, visibility ...)
2) Point of purchase units
3) Restriction of units (size zero, air points, armor .....)
4) Location of VPs

Interestingly suggesting Cross, but it seems very detailed. I think the less rules the imagination flies. I also think that in war there are no rules.
If players want to recreate a special field for battle if it can create more detailed rules.
Greetings
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM

Private

Lankinen is on a distinguished road

CrosS:

Interesting, that you want to limit off map artillery, for me i prefer on map artillery to be more effective.

But this might be different in world at war 2 vs winspmbt ?
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I personally prefer more general rules. One might think of points in general. For example:
4) Location of VPs

Interestingly suggesting Cross, but it seems very detailed. I think the less rules the imagination flies. I also think that in war there are no rules.
If players want to recreate a special field for battle if it can create more detailed rules.
Greetings
My 'preferences' are just that, preferences not rules. It's just a list of things that I may want to think about and discuss with an opponent prior to a battle. It's a reference tool.

And I disagree war does have rules of engagement.

I play battles with almost no rules, and some with detailed agreements.
If I was to play against you, we may agree to have no rules.

Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankinen View Post
CrosS:

Interesting, that you want to limit off map artillery, for me i prefer on map artillery to be more effective.

But this might be different in world at war 2 vs winspmbt ?
Lankinen,

It's not that I'm trying to limit off-map artillery, but rather I like that on-map artillery is vulnerable to armoured breakthroughs.

It forces players to protect their front line, or more importantly their rear, to keep their arty units safe. You have think a little more strategically.
If you succeed in getting to your opponents rear area it could be a hollow victory if there's nothing there, but on-map arty provides a prize for successsful breakthroughs.

Cross
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I go with Cross's preferences pretty much myself,
But now days keeping Arty within 5% and tanks and armour no more than 25% for a single battle.

When playing a campaign,
I am starting with keeping starting pt.s very low "preferably" only a coy of infrantry for each side,, a sniper a a scout and one mmg additonal,regardless of pt.s allowed,and no tanks allowed for the starting core,but can be added later,say a section for 2 coy of infrantry and a platoon for a Bn of infrantry.

All dedicated arty is to be bought from auxillery and always kept within the 5% range,excluding support arty which comes with infrantry,and no other auxillery units ever bought,except trucks.

This keeps the buying of new units from support pts available when the going gets too tough for the core.
Then the campaign should be set at hard or better the hardest levels to reflect the limited ablities to repair or heal units,from one battle to the next.

Last edited by gila; May 26th, 2011 at 09:48 PM..
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:16 AM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
4) Location of VPs

Greetings
My 'preferences' are just that, preferences not rules. It's just a list of things that I may want to think about and discuss with an opponent prior to a battle. It's a reference tool.

And I disagree war does have rules of engagement.

I play battles with almost no rules, and some with detailed agreements.
If I was to play against you, we may agree to have no rules.

Cross

Cross
I was talking about real war.
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM

Private

drez is on a distinguished road

I generally like to ban cluster munitions. Having been on the receiving end of them to the point where I was basically defeated only by massive CM being dropped everywhere I tried it out on an opponent only to kill the fun for him as it killed the fun for me. So it quickly became banned in my book. Though sometimes allowing it from air units is Ok'd...