.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missiles and point-defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgqwonkian View Post
I think the list of options available to improve missiles is at least:
(list)

Probably, some mix of the above is needed. I doubt any one change will handle all the potential issues with missiles as they exist now. I've implemented some of the above in my mods already. A few of those ideas I haven't touched on at all though, and some I'm not sure I'd be willing to do unless making a totally new mod based around it.
Great job with the list! It'll definitely help with this problem.

When I first started Odd Adventures, the idea was just basically to add in a few neat things. After a bit, the idea became to make WW more like SAIS -- which is still the case; you can see a lot of aspects of the interface that are directly from or inspired by the original game.

Where I originally tried to make it as much like the original game as possible, though, I've now taken on a somewhat different policy, to try to overhaul and improve the game balance, even if it isn't quite like either SAIS or WW. Of course, these changes should be made in moderation; too much tinkering can destroy the "feel" of the game. I've experimented with giving the Tchorak multi-missiles, for instance, with the lava pods, and I'm not sure that it works for them. However, I'm not still necessarily above changing things up pretty drastically, so maybe my mod can be the sort of "testing ground" you can't do in Drives 'R Us.

There are a few things on the list I wouldn't be comfortable adding to my mod -- for instance, I think disabling the Fire button would be a bad idea. While it technically does solve the problem, it does it in a bizarre way; why shouldn't your ship be able to fire on a single point in space? The Retreat button being removed at least makes sense, in that it can be explained that it takes speed to successfully disengage from an enemy force, but that restriction seems a bit, well, tacked on.

This isn't intended as a slight against you at all, of course -- you're just listing off our available and practical options...we may not be comfortable with all of them, but they still are available to our use, and thus it's necessary to include them.

I appreciate your insight and help in this, and I'll consult your list and see how I can apply these measures to try to enhance the existing missiles in OA.